How does one go about making and hosting their own website?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by kris23, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

Im rather curious, i would like to try and use my computer as a sort of web server to host a forum (no, i dont plan on going anywhere!)

Since i know next to nothing about how to get this working, i thought id ask you guys!

I got my desktop here with virtual PC installed and an OK internet connection could a webpage be hosted on a virtual machine?

2. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

well yah, you can host it on your virtual machine, what type of server would you be running on your VM

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Yup, I'm doing it right now, I've got a VM running a web application on IIS that my coworkers need access to, all I had to do was open the port 80 in my router settings and supply them with my IP address. :)

If you find having to supply your IP address to people inconvenient, especially if it's dynamic, you might want to look into some free dynamic DNS service. I remember using DynDNS a few years ago, but they no longer offer free service, so you might want to look at some of these: DDNS – Free Dynamic DNS Providers | DNS Lookup

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Why do people use virtual machines for this, out of interest? Security?

5. IvanV

In my case, it's got less to do with the actual hosting and more with ease of sharing with other colleagues. The installation for this particular application is fairly complicated (lots of prerequisites, manual config file editing...), so if someone else needs it on their machine, they'd lose at least an afternoon on setting it up, with the VM it's just copy/paste. :)

Also, if hosting is not the primary role of that computer, with a VM you don't have to bloat your main OS with all the background services when you're not running the server. :)

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ahh basically i was looking into this just as something to mess with...

even if it isnt a forum, learning how to get my machine to host something as simple as a line of text on the internet could be useful

7. IvanV

Well, for the sake of simplicity (virtual network adapters can be stubborn), I'd suggest to skip making a virtual machine and just get IIS or Apache/Tomcat running and put some files on it. That should be easy enough for you. :) After that, all you need to do is open the port that the server is using on your router (if you've opened one for torrents, you know how to do it) and your site should be visible from the outside. :)

8. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

but to be honest, it is easier to put up an old physical machine, and do your testing, the reason i say so i that windows after a while of running starts to misbehave, and this has some unusual effects on your VM.

Ps: install ubuntu (ver 10), and then apache, dont go the IIS route more trouble than it is worth - my two cents