How many HH'ers smoke?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Jul 20, 2010.

?

How many people on here smoke?

1. Yes I do smoke

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No, I don't

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. I did smoke but I quit

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Never touched a cigarette in my life

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Hey, it worked for me............. Now I'm in my 50's, have COPD and still smoke.

Wait....... :wtf:

:dead:

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

3. Tyrsonswood

Drum tobacco.... it's a roll your own that used to be from Holland but with the new rulings in the US now it's made here and has all the same cr@p American cigs have..... Bastards.

4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Are there restrictions on cigarets in America , I thought it only applied on Cupa.

5. Tyrsonswood

Over taxed and highly regulated......

6. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

Now... kids... smoking is bad for you... also... stay in school...

Never smoked and I will probably never will. Here's why. I'm one of the lucky ones, smoke makes me feel sick, physically. In the past, if you wanted to go out with your friends to grab something to eat, or see a movie, you had to endure passive smoking. Even if you can't. So when the government banned smoking in public places (including restaurants, cinemas, shopping centers) I was very happy.

I'm 30, I have enough reasons to be stressed out of my socks, I've always considered smoking as an unnecessary act.

Here's why I think you're doing it, anonymous smoker guy. For you smoking is something you start doing when you're 14, because it makes you look cool, later at 16 it will save you when it's time for you to contribute to the conversation because you're too "busy" to take your next puff, and by 18 you're hooked, the slave of the tobacco companies.

When you're 21 you have so many problems that no one before you had, and you smoke because you're stressed, the reality is that you need your fix, because you go in withdrawal, and it's the drug making you feel stressed and not your unique problems, but... I digress...

At 25, the only way to make friends at work is to go out for your 5 min smoke break, and there you exchange smoke puffs and meaningless words. Ofcourse you need to have a 5 min break every half hour or the added stress of working for one hour straight might kill you.

By 30, you can get tired from going from your car in the parking lot to the shopping mall. Ofcourse by now, your problems get amplified by an unappreciative spouse and the 2.5 lumps of meat you created to give your life meaning. So by now, you're at two packs a day.

At 42, smoking is a routine, you don't even know that you're doing it anymore. You're up to 4 packs a day.

At 47 you get cancer. You'll blame it on global warming. But that's ok, by then they'll have a miracle cure.

And the story ends.

Ofcourse, anonymous smoker, this is not your story, it couldn't be... you're special, you make the decisions in life. It's just the smoking part that you can't stop. I mean, you could, if you wanted to. But you don't want to. Because you're a decision maker.

7. Nicu Balmus

Nicu Balmus Сказочный долбоёб

Cow_160483, I'm not smoking frequently...I smoke about 6-7 cigarettes a day...and not everyday...

8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Still bro my advice to you is quit while you have the willpower to do so coz pretty soon you wont :wtf: ask Ty :D

9. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

My uncle is nearly 40 year old , he smoked probably before 20 and can't quit now. he smokes at least 2 packs/day I think he is only sorry for his money , he don't care about health. Good thing smoking affect budget too so people like him can quit or at least hate smoking.

10. Tyrsonswood

Smoking kills................

I see it as a slow form of suicide myself.

11. Nicu Balmus

Nicu Balmus Сказочный долбоёб

ok, I'll try to quit smoking..

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  12. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

That's the spirit :)

Nicu Balmus likes this.
  13. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I apologise but that's the kind of tone i can't stand towards smokers, We know the risks, we know the damage it does to us, but it's our choice. We don't lecture you, don't lecture us.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  14. Sic Puppy

Sic Puppy Live from the Energy City of NZ

I'm curious as to why no official body has classed smoking as a disease yet. Annorexia is classed as a "disease" as is drug addiction and alocoholism. Why is smoking any different?

I don't agree with poining the finger at smokers. I used to smoke too and giving it up was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I did it out of choice not to "look cool". Stress can make you do things out of desperation and many people found (not so much now I'm guessing) that smoking helped releive it. It's no different to you going down the pub and having a few bevvys after a hard day, but no one jumps at you waving a finger saying "your killing your liver and kidneys doing that!" No ones been up in court for driving under the influence of nicotine. It just fecking gets on my goat.
    My wife smokes a few a day at work and when she heads outside she is heckled with "dirty habit" and "why don't you just stop?" comments. Hey, I'm not a fan of her doing it, but negative comments about somthing that doesn't affect you is none of your god damn business!

Rant over.

psycophic, Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  15. Mousey

Perhaps when you're doing it without a desire to quit, It's a choice. But when you're trying to quit and having difficulty it could be sort of a disease? But then again Alcoholics probably started drinking out of choice and just good hooked but they keep going.

I smoke usually because it's a stress relief mechanism, Other times it's out of boredom. It also kind of provokes thoughts from me, When i'm trying to be creative i wander outside, spark up and mull over what i'm thinking. I can be single minded when i'm having a smoke which is great when i'm trying to come up with a new guitar lick or write lyrics, Sometimes it's not always a good thing like when someone's talking to me lol.

Last time somebody said "Dirty Smoker" to me they almost lost a tooth, I am sick to the back teeth of hearing people heckle and abuse smokers. In the UK at least it doesn't happen as often, Alcohol's the latest offering from Satan here; "DON'T DRINK, IT'LL GIVE YOU MOUTH CANCER"... No, that's for BINGE drinkers, that go out to get completely wasted, and not remember a goddamned thing, not just casual drinkers like me that enjoy a few beers on a night occasionally or sipping a pint in the pub chatting with some obliterated stranger about Maggie Thatcher or the Politics (or lack of)... Which is very funny btw, try it.

16. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Outlawing smoking completely is very difficult for a couple of reasons.

First, it's long been considered fine and by banning it, millions of otherwise model citizens who are hooked on it would, without any fault of their own, be turned into criminals.

Second, the tobacco business is still huge. By killing it, countries would loose a rather substantial income as an unusually big portion of the price of a pack of cigarettes is taxes. Not less importantly, tobacco companies are very rich and thus influential.

Other than that, I think that there's little doubt that tobacco causes a strong psychological addiction. I know a few long term smokers, mostly middle-aged, who claim that they haven't really enjoyed a cigarette in ages, but cannot quit; unlike them, though, most young smokers I know maintain they smoke for the pleasure, but even a good deal of them has already vainly tried to quit at least once. Add to it the fact that long term effects of smoking on one's health are none too positive and I'm fairly confident that if tobacco were something newly discovered, instead of being a part of our culture for centuries, it would quickly be put on the list of banned or strictly controlled substances.

As for the smokers being abused by non-smokers, a lot of people are like that. They like to point fingers and shout "Oh, how terrible!", and any reason will do. And they suck.

Still, where I live, it's still the terror of smokers all the way. The ban on smoking in the workplace is scarcely respected and the situation with bars and restaurants is tragicomic. Recently, a law was to be passed that would have banned smoking in all public places. Some smokers and, more importantly, the "national" tobacco industry (owned by Philip Morris and British American Tobacco) made a huge outcry and a last minute amendment was accepted concerning restaurants, pubs, clubs and other such places. The law now states that in such objects which are larger than 80m^2 "a non-smoker section must be provided, preferably close to the door". :x The result is that, smoker or not, for there actually were smokers who were in favour of the ban, when going out, one has to suffer other people's smoke and stench (and by the time one gets back home, one's own clothes, hair and skin stink as well).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    psycophic and Calliers like this.
  17. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

I'm talking about the 12-14-16 yrs old children (not even teenagers) that already smoke more then a couple of cigarettes a day. How many of them are so stressed that they need to take up smoking? Come on...

At that age smoking is as much of a choice as drinking, doing heavy drugs or stealing cars. There is a point where you can justify something, but there is a point when it becomes a problem, causing the very symptoms it was supposed to alleviate.

I don't care if you smoke, I don't care if you sky dive. Just don't do it in my face. If you want me to respect your choice to be a smoker, try to respect my choice of not being one. And try to be honest, at least with yourself. Smoking is more a pleasure then a cure for stress. You smoke all the time, before you eat, after you eat, while you drink your beer, when you feel bored, when you feel hot, when you feel cold, when you feel like it. If you don't now, you will. If you think that I suck just because I said something that doesn't agree with you, then OK, I suck. But you know what? I don't care... I will keep not caring as long as it doesn't affect me. Unfortunately it does.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  18. Mousey

Who's saying we're doing it in your face? Have you ever stopped to consider that by going up and lecturing a smoker about their habit you're exposing yourself to second hand smoke? Whenever i'm around non smokers i go away to light up unless they're cool with me smoking near them, I'm a considerate smoker, as are a lot of smokers which is why we can't stand the "Exposing me to smoke is bad you should stop" card being played 24/7.

There's a very simple solution to being exposed to smoke, Walk away. And if you say it doesn't work then you aren't moving far enough away. We try to be considerate of non smoker's needs, We'd like some mutual respect.

Smoking's not always a choice not even when you're my age (18), One of my friends smokes due to deep seated emotional issues, Nicotine helps keep them under control so he doesn't end throwing himself off a building, They've tried all kinds of medication and therapy for him and Nicotine seems to be the only thing that helps. Nicotine helps me think which is useful when i'm trying to be creative, It's also a stress-relief mechanism because my mechanism before i started smoking was doing Parkour at stupidly dangerous levels (IE. Rooftop levels) until i'd either raged it out or i'd injured myself so i couldn't continue training.

Another one of my friends used to keep her suicidal thoughts at bay with Nicotine, then she quit smoking and has to take what's more or less a horse tranquiliser twice a day to keep her evened out, And she's like a zombie.

It's not always a choice.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I used to work in nightclubs when smoking was permitted. I used to get home and the next day I would freshen up my black shirt by rinsing it in cold water. The colour of the water that used to come off that thing was astonishing from just one night of being exposed to smokers around me.

It's so good now to be able to go to a restaurant, club, cinema and not have to breathe other peoples smoke - I can barely remember the last time I had to endure it.

That said I am against banning things - if someone wants to smoke they should be allowed to. Hell people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect other people.

psycophic likes this.
  20. Pekalion

Pekalion New Member

I used to smoke, but thanks god I quit. Gitanes, John Player's Gold Leaf or just Marlboro, but my first election JP Gold Leaf.

From time to time I feel a bit anxious and want to smoke, but most part of that is calmed down with some cookies and that's it :p

psycophic likes this.