How many monitors do you use on your primary PC?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 25, 2009.

?

How many monitors do you use on your primary PC?

1. One monitor built into my laptop

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. One monitor attached to my desktop

43 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. Two monitors in any configuration

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. Three monitors in any configuration

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. More than three monitors somehow

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'd love to have two or more monitors, but I haven't the space or cash - I only tend to replace a monitor when one breaks.

2. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Don't have the space for a second.

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

Dual 19" Dell's

been using dual monitors since about 2004, when I had a 17" crt and a 15" crt I found in my cupboard

Definately a god-send for music production, also found it quite useful for day-to-day stuff, MSN/IM on one monitor, browser on the other, video on one, word on the other, list goes on

I regularly hav far too many windows open across both screens, and I drag and drop files between them

Going to my macbook air, the lack of desktop resolution was my main hurdle

4. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I'm kinda surprised at the results. I'd figure more people have dual monitors.

Guess not.

5. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Two monitors are truly a godsend for productivity - since they're so cheap relatively speaking (relative to hourly/salaried wages for a person, that is...) I have highly recommended two monitors for administrative staff at work for over the past year. A large percentage have gone this way, and they enjoy it especially once they get used to working that way - it is an adjustment...

I use two monitors each now on both this machine and my good ol' Athlon machine across the the room. Two LCDs here, two CRTs there.

I too am surprised that more who have voted so far don't use two monitors. Also surprising is the amount of folks using laptops as a primary machine - having voted for the single internal display. This is the status quo for students at the University now, and a lot of professors, but surprising for the demographic that have visited Driverheaven to vote in this poll.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

4 computers all on one display. I've done multi monitors before and prefer a single bigger display.

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

It seems a lot of people prefer one big monitor over two smaller ones, as it's often cheaper that way - especially for gamers who want an immersive experience. I'm only using dual monitors 'cause I'm so used to it now, had i never gotten bored and plugged in an old 15" monitor 7 years ago, i'd probably still be on a single monitor setup myself.

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Perfect timing on your post I am thinking of doing something similar tomorrow night. We have a 14 inch CRT at work from my bosses sons old system and its been collecting dust all winter ... nothing wrong with it.

I have dual outputs on my main rig on the 4870 and single on the 9600gt on the AMD one. So basically I will be able to access either system though the main monitor using a KVM switch and the 14 inch will be tied to the main rig all the time. This will be handy because I can monitor benchmarks and tests on the main machine without having to switch machines. This will be particularly handy with Crysis benchmark because if I hit [scroll lock] [scroll lock] [1 or 2] to change machines after the test has started it stalls the benchmark and tries to enter the game.

Will try it out any tips welcome as I am new to this ;)

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i got to fiddle with 3x 32" 1920x1080 monitors....

i just wish that ATI would support 3D acceleration across more then one display adapter...

3 screens.... specially for 3D shooter, Racing, or anything for that matter is insane.

Even playing say NHL 2009 across all 3 look awesome.. but unfortunately, more then 2 screens and the frame rate jumps from 30/60fps down to 2-3fps.

What kills me is the fact that windows vista's 3D screensavers and games all appear to work great across all... even with 6 monitors... full 3D acceleration.........

10. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I got a Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24'' widescreen with a 17'' Acer X173w widescreen on the side, I would have thought more people used two or more monitors as well. Guess this bodes well for the monitor market as has been already mention earlier in this thread, a second monitor is the absolute shiznit for media players, watching movies on top of multi tasking/maximizing efficiency, once you get used to them it's hard to go back to one unless it's one big ass monitor like a 40'' or something.

swimtech likes this.
  11. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Could always go with a Matrox TripleHead2Go. Although I think one 32" display is already big enough to get submersed in the game. Hell today I was feeling nearly sick from all the bouncing around in Mirror's Edge.

12. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Big Ass - one of the handiest technical terms there is! Very easy to understand, and, um, visualize? :D

Just couldn't help myself, again...

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Problem is... that for ATI cards, triple head to go isn't a working solution as even still today, the maximum a single port on the ati video cards are limited to 3840 width, which is 2x 1920 monitors.

Now i know you can then take a dual head, and then 2 monitors, and then attach a 3rd to the 2nd port... which i would like to do.. and then test out... however i've yet to assemble a system for that kind of job.

I plan to here soon.

Using the next ATI HD5xxx series card, 3 Samsung 2443BW 24" Monitors, and a single dvi dual head adapter.

All i know is that it's unbeleiveably more emersive with 3 small displays spanned vs a single 52" 1080p.... one of the major contributing factors is that 5120x1200 is kick ass way better then 1920x1080

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I could get four GT120s for my Mac Pro, eight 30" displays....

and i think a 40" display qualifies for the "Big Ass" category, though I can't see myself using one for a computer

15. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

I was perfectly happy with 1 display until I started playing WoW again... Now I've connected a second (small) display for using Thottbot and such. :)

16. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Picked up a second 24" monitor last week, so running dual 24" monitors now.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Cool.......2 X 24's would be sweet

18. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Tell me about it all i need is some space and i would definitely do that :D

19. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

how about 2 X 24" CRT ones... hahahha :D... you would have to have a special room just to fit in the monitors... LOL :D

20. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

At home, one monitor. It's an iZ3D 22" monitor so it takes the two outputs of my video card.

At work, I'm using a laptop but I'm using it as if it were a desktop. I've got a mouse, a keyboard and a 24" monitor connected to it. I only use the 24" monitor, I leave the laptop screen off. I got this monitor based on Zardon's advice (http://www.driverheaven.net/news/155571-benq-g2400-zardons-bargain-month.html) and it was a good purchase.

Between working on the 22" monitor and the 24" monitor, I prefer to work on the 24" monitor. Now that I'm used to it, I feel uncomfortable when working on anything smaller. Personally, I hate working directly on my laptop screen. It's way too small.