How many of you talk in your sleep?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I've known a few people in my life who talk in their sleep, my little brother used to do it and it was really fun because I could actually have conversations with him once I figured out who it was he was talking to and the scenario lol, he would reply me and everything hehehe.

We shared a bedroom in our childhood (it was a big room with two big ass queen size beds in there, a nice closet and a computer, lots of space so it wasn't that bad).

I've also known people who sleep with their eyes open, a few of my friends slept with their eyes open sometimes, and let me tell you that shit is creepy as hell lol, used to scare the crap out of me.

As of late I've started talking in my sleep just before I go to sleep and start dreaming or when I'm about to wake and still having a dream (I dream - a lot), I usually am aware enough to catch myself and stop it because some part of me knows if anyone hears me they'll either laugh their heads off or I don't know, maybe they'll just mention it to me and be cool with it, but it's definitely something I'm conscious of. I have a feeling that when I'm in deep sleep and not aware of what is going on I might be talking in my sleep.

How about you guys? Any sleep talkers here? Or sleep walkers? :)

And while we're on the topic of sleep talkers and all, any lucid dreamers out there? Man do I hate lucid dreams, you can usually control them to some level or participate in them and for me it seems like whenever I try (I'm always tempted to) to control a dream it ends in it either being a nightmare from a normal dream or a happy dream or it just makes me feel sick and I want to wake up and sometimes you can't wake from those dreams. I can see why Robert Jordan in his series of books "The Wheel of Time" wrote about crossing into the world of dreams in the flesh as being evil and every time you did it you lost a part of yourself or something.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

How would I know if I'm asleep at the time?

3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

some of us have women in our lives who would tell us of such things

I don't talk in my sleep.
    I do suffer from night terrors though, so I beat up and scream at invisible shit in my sleep

4. Calliers

Night terrors eh? Sorry to hear that. I suffer from the opposite, when you want to move and wake up/get out of your dream but can't, sometimes you even wake up and have your eyes open but you can't move, it's really scary. It's called sleep paralysis and it is a b!@#$. In African culture they say a witch is sitting on your back at the time and if you subscribe to that theory it can be really scary indeed. Not that I myself subscribe to it lol.

Good point for those who live alone.

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I recorded myself over a week to find out if I was snoring, and at least then didn't pick up any mumbling. So probably not often. (app SnoreClock) I have heard from others though a couple of times, that when I had read something to memorise during the day I might repeat some of it while sleaping. Having had a pretty good memory for details at least when younger I wouldn't be surprised if such a sleeping habit could have been a part of it.

I used to sleepwalk when I was little, but don't seem to move about much in my adult years. For instance my moms cat will happily sleep at or even on my feet when I visit. Something it has learnt not to do by my mom. :D

I tend to regularly have some control over my dreams, like perhaps realizing that it's a dream even if I go along with it. I think it comes from having a lot of negative/scary dreaming when I was a kid, so I kinda had to develop control. Nowadays the scares are far between. Recently nothing more unconforting than being at work with some bothersome customer. Then I realise it's a dream and not a situation I really need to "solve", and happily go back to normal sleep.
    Levitation comes pretty natural to me whenever I'm actively moving about in a dream, usually just enough to defy gravity and it's a matter of focus to gain height or significant velocity.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have known myself to try on very, very rare occasions, of attempting to say something out loud while sleeping. But, I've never been told that I actually talk in my sleep. I have been told, however, and with some annoyance, that I do snore quite loudly if I'm ever sleeping on my back.

7. Calliers

Thankfully I do not snore when I sleep, but my best friend does and oh my goodness does he snore loudly, I shared a room with him when we went to the lake this year with a bunch of friends and I couldn't sleep for a while because he falls asleep super fast and starts snoring, if he had a wife she would likely make him sleep in on the couch lol.