How many of you wear glasses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Oct 15, 2014.

?

Do you wear glasses?

1. Yes I do

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No I don't

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Yes I am supposed to but I don't wear them

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. No I don't but I wish I did :P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I need glasses, but haven't gotten them

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Well, it looks like my day of reckoning has finally come. I never wore glasses all the time, I was supposed to, but I never did. Until now. All of a sudden today while using the computer my eyes just couldn't focus. I didn't know why at first but then I remembered that I'm actually supposed to be wearing glasses. So I found them and put them on, and all of a sudden things got clearer. I am officially a blind man. :D

So how many of you wear glasses and do you even like wearing them? I don't mind them, just would prefer not to if I didn't have to, but I guess now I'm going to have to whether I like it or not. (I even spent a pretty penny getting cool looking ones and I'm glad I did now that I'll have to keep them on from now on.)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

have my eye slashed early on in life by a mr. freezey resulted in requiring glasses... least I didn't end up blinded.

3. Calliers

Wow, I was involved in a fight (one of the only two fights I've ever had in my life) with one of the school bullies in grade school and I ended up scarring him right below his left eye with a pencil, things might have been much worse if I got him in the eye but thank goodness that never occurred. He has a mean scar below his left eye to this day, but me and him are still friends and when I asked him about it years later when we were in high school he told me the scar has done more good for him than bad because girls seem to be attracted to him because of it.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I had to start wearing glasses about the time I started what is now middle school. That would be the 7th grade here. I was very slightly near-sighted and wore glasses up until I was about 28-30 years old. I can't recall exactly when it was but I switched to hard contacts at the time.

I wore the contacts until about 1985. I had my own construction/remodeling business and the dust from the work was constantly getting under my contacts so I switched back to wearing glasses again.

But, strangely enough, when I was about 42, my eye sight corrected itself and I was able to go without wearing glasses again until just about 3 years ago. It got to where, especially at night, I had a hard time reading the addresses I was looking for to deliver pizzas.

Now, mostly due to my age, I'm having to have my prescription updated about twice a year. This is mostly due to some cataracts developing in my right eye. My eye doctor says it's not to the point of needing surgery yet. Even at this moment, I have a new prescription and am ready to order a new pair.

If I could go without wearing glasses, I would. In fact, I may check into going with contacts again when it comes time to update the prescription again.

5. Calliers

When I was younger my little brother and my little sister faked eye sight problems so they could get glasses, and as you all know that is very dangerous because wearing glasses when you don't need them can mess up your eye sight. It was a good thing though that they just saw them as a fashion accessory and only wore them for a few weeks before just never wearing them again. (Both of them got really expensive designer frames)

My little brother later developed eye sight problems later on in life ironically though, so he wears glasses right now, but not my little sister.

6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

only when it's sunny outside...

7. Calliers

I've got a pair of shades, but unfortunately they're not prescription hehe.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I had bad eyesight since, well, not sure when exactly. You see while I was going to school (primary? ages 6-12) I couldn't see what was written on the blackboard (more like green but anyway). I couldn't follow classes properly and I am sure it did wonders for me...I kept telling my parents about it but my father was convinced (based on what I have no idea) that I could see just fine and I was just saying I can't because I wanted to wear glasses as a fashion statement or something. Absurd? Yes, but he is a fucking asshole so...I finally started wearing glasses from about 9 or 10 yo or something. The damage was done of course but hey, better than nothing.
    The eyesight kept getting worse and worse for the following years. As many kids my age at the time I wanted to play professionally basketball or football(soccer). Not while wearing glasses so I never did.
    Fast forward several years and while I was in the navy I had to have my picture taken for the military id. At the time I was wearing glasses which darkened when there was intense light. Well, long story short, my military id had me wearing "sunglasses" lol. That was almost worth the trouble for the rest of my life wearing them.
    Some time in 2006 or something I had laser eye surgery done and no more glasses.
    There is a sideeffect, or at least I see it as one. I can't see very well from close up. So if for example I take something which has tiny fonts on (a can of soda, etc) I have to keep it at least about 15-20cm or so from my eyes or I can't read it. I am not sure if this is how normal eyes work, but it was/is new to me since in all my life I could read small fonts just fine by moving it very close to my eyes.
    Anyway, apart from that, it's freaking awesome to not have to wear glasses to see.
    I don't even want to wear sunglasses any more.

9. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Been wearing glasses since I was about 7 as I am reasonably short sighted I was diagnosed with a lazy eye and had to wear an eye patch for a while to see if it would correct but that failed so glasses it was , The thing is the lazy eye has no prescription in it as I only get hazy peripheral vision in that eye if i close my right eye I can make my way around a room but cant read or watch TV drive etc.

Age about 25 I switched to soft daily contact lens (just the one in my right eye) and have worn it since, about 5 years ago I switched to a monthly lens I basically put a lens in my eye on the first of the month and change it the first of the following month ( I sleep in them train in them etc but not swim and keep my eyes closed underwater in the bath or shower) and never looked back they are superb.

I have a pair of glasses that I use for emergencies but gain only 1 lens is prescription the other is plain glass

Lol that made me think of this from Red Dwarf when Kryten became Human for a day

Lister: Any problems?
    Kryten: Well, just one or two. In fact I've compiled a little list if you'll indulge me. Now then, uh, my optical system doesn't appear to have a zoom function.
    Lister: No, human eyes don't have a zoom.
    Kryten: Well then, how do you bring a small object into sharp focus?
    Lister: Well, you just move your head closer to the object.
    Kryten: I see. Move your head ... closer, hmm, to the object. All right, okay. Well, what about other optical effects, like split screen, slow motion?
    Lister: No. We don't have them.
    Kryten: You don't have them - just the zoom? Hmm. Well, no, that's fine, that's great, no, no, that's really great, that's great. Now then, my nipples don't work.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    Trusteft likes this.
  10. Neshi

I tought you always had to take lenses out during the night. Not so?

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Being mostly nearsighted I've considered the possibility of Lasik even though I've had glasses for about 30 years. But I also remember a couple of times when having had glasses on might well have protected my eyes from getting hurt, and I have no discomfort from wearing them generally. The freedom of being able to don regular shades would be something, and lenses are a bit too much of a hassle in the long run. Especially now that around 40 my eye sight at close range has gotten noticeably better (side effect of stiffening of the lense due to aging) I find having glasses to have few significant downsides. I might change my mind on that when at around 50-60 I might need bifocals or even two pairs of different glasses due to the aging effect on the lens, but I'll deal with that then.

And check your eyesight regularly. Your sight can be stable over five years just as likely as change significantly over little more than a a single.

12. Calliers

I have my eyesight checked once a year right now.

13. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Not any more advances in the soft lenses mean I can wear a monthly disposable and those ones you sleep in (with no issues at all) and I have to say its the most comfortable lens I have ever worn ... the only drawback is by the end of the month I sometimes forget to change it

I get mine from specsavers on a scheme thats only £7.50 a month

14. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I'm near-sighted, personally. Hindsight, however, is 20:20. Text is blurred for me over (approximately) 1m, though I don't wear my glasses for using PCs. I do enjoy the clarity that they provide for walking around outside of the home but, for the vast majority of the time, the need is not there.

15. Calliers

First time I wore my very first pair of glasses it was like looking at the world in HD. I remember it was a rainy day and I could see each of the drops on the car windscreen coming home crystal clear. Now I'm kinda used to that effect, and while things are a lot clearer when I put my specs on it doesn't wow me as much anymore.

16. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Been very short sighted for ages - looking over the assorted cards at a computer fair, I'd take my glasses of to read the chip numbers - I was the human magnifying glass, and I knew a lot of the useful numbers, like those for a Rockwell 56k modem chipset

Trusteft likes this.
  17. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

I've worked in optics for over eight years now, and have a big interest in it. I used to work in a lab, surfacing lenses and making glasses. Now I travel about to people who are housebound so they can have their eyes tested and get some glasses. It's good.

As for me, I've had inplantable contact lenses surgery, so no longer need any correction. It's amazing because I hated wearing glasses and I was never a fan of contact lenses. The surgery itself isn't very nice (at one point I felt like my eye would burst under the pressure) and it was pretty expensive but I'd recommend it to anyone who didn't want to wear glasses anymore.

18. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Weirdly enough everybody in my family wears glasses except for me (don't need em by some miracle), i'm the only asthmatic though so there's the trade off xD

19. Neshi

I always wondered how that works... what happens if your eye(s) deteriorate and the correction done at the surgery is no longer sufficient? Or does this not happen?

20. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

IIRC that can't happen. I seem to recall that it cuts down (removes?) the possibility of glaucoma too.