How to build a mainboard ECS style

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by digerati, Jun 24, 2005.

1. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

You know the mainboard in your PC? Yeah, that's right, the component that you plug everything else into that's screwed to your case. Have you ever thought about how it's made and put together? If not, sit and have a think for a couple of minutes before you carry on reading. Done that? It's pretty logical if you think about it, right? You need a PCB, then you need holes in the right places on that PCB for all the components, hopefully with labels so you know what goes where. Then you simply need to place the components on the mainboard and solder them on. Provided that's all be done properly, you test to make sure it works and if it does, sell it to someone.

I sat and pondered the same things when Elitegroup Computer Systems, known to most folks that read HEXUS as ECS or Elitegroup, invited me to their PCB and mainboard production facilities in China. I knew instinctively how you'd make a PCB, and then the full mainboard based on a PCB design and layout, but after thinking about it, post-invite, I was intrigued to see the details of production. How much would be automated? How much would humans have to do? I've made rudimentary two-layer PCBs at university before, as part of my CompSci course all those years ago, but how's a complex six-layer mainboard PCB produced? They surely use something a bit more advanced than acid baths to produce the solder mask and joining the layers surely takes more than a couple of G-clamps? What about drilling the holes? There's a few thousand on the average desktop mainboard, so how are they drilled? Lots of questions that the factory tours would hopefully answer, so that I could come back to the UK and let you know how it's done.

2. Dom

Dom New Member

Sweetness!

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

It has always amazed me how relatively cheap mobos are.. They are so big, yet in most cases (no pun intended), one of the most inexpensive "main" parts of the PC.. I got my NF7 for like 70 bucks..
    back when they were still "fast"..