How to Calculate the reverberation time of a digital FX algorithm?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by DD!, Jun 17, 2011.

1. DD!

DD! New Member

Hi, i'm posting this so that if anyone out there knows how to do it shares it with the rest of us as i haven't been able to find any info on the web.

I was working on a reverb effect based on forward and backward feeding (all pass filters), delays and gains. After trying with several configurations i got a pretty solid, stable and decent reverb. However i got into a problem by trying to determine what was the incidence of all of variables in it to finally determine how the reverb was processing the dry signal.

In lamens terms. What kind of analysis or expression is it possible to use to determine the reverb time of an algorithm of this kind that employs so many variables?

Any kind of comment would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

if your reverb sounds good, you have found a mixture of delay values wich produce only less resonance frequencies. you allready determinded the important parameters. now you could make a impulse response of it and use it on other machines in a convolution reverb (if you don't want reprogram it).

edit: i fear i was not precisily on your question. the delay time is addicted to the feedback in your combfilters. delay times from 0 up to infite are possible.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011