How to clone your Notebook / MacBook Hard Disk to an SSD

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

By now most of us will be fully aware of the benefits that using a Solid State Disk in place of a traditional mechanical Hard Disks brings. Improved performance, diminished noise levels, cooler operation and lower power consumption. This not only makes the SSD a worthwhile upgrade for the desktop PC as we've already waxed several times here on OC3D before, but as almost all SSD's are based on the 2.5" form factor it also makes them even more suited for use in portable Notebooks and Netbooks. In fact, I'd probably go as far as to say that users on the road are likely to see the greatest benefits out of any user group, with SSD's being light years ahead in performance compared to the clunky 5400RPM drives while also offering increased battery life. In short, you can work faster for longer.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

pretty cool idea

I regularly clone my OS disk if i'm moving to a larger size HDD, Carbon Copy Cloner works perfect for this in OS X

3. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I believe you can do this with just Time Machine (if you have it.)

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

time machine will work to an extent, I believe you have to re-install as normal, but you can choose to import data from a time machine backup

CCC is pretty handy as you can run it, while still using the OS install you're cloning from

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I will check my facts. Someone needed to clone a Macbook Pro disk to a bigger replacement disk at work a couple of weeks ago, so I'll ask them how it was done.
    But I thiiiiink there was no installation of OS X needed.

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

thinking back, there might be a way to restore from a TM backup, i remember seeing an option when you boot from the OS X install disc, i'll have to check

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its an interesting guide, but I have done this on the macintosh with a method that uses Carbon Copy Cloner (free app) and its much less complex than the method on OC3D.

DJ you can restore from time machine, but as you know CCC is ideally the way to copy a bootable partition to another drive in OSX.

Also I would like to add that this application (Active Disk Image) makes the windows process also much easier than that guide, it isn't free however but its basically a few clicks and it does the rest http://www.disk-image.net/
    Also updated recently to support Windows 7.