How to cool your PC for under $20

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by DJShamrock, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

No moisture in my machine and it's been months. Their is moisture on the tube sometimes. It gets cold and the warm air causes condensation, but I have a moisture detector stckers that turn blue when their is moisture (they use them in cell phones) and it's still white. And it's been 6 months!

[​IMG]

My gaming/Recording Studio in all it's glory.

If you email me at djshamrock@gmail.com I will send you a dirct download link to my latest Mickstape. DJ Shamrock: The Mick's Master (I'm from NY so it is basically NY style hip hop remixed)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

nice one. my friend has done this for 4 years. he has moisture in the air but he uses a filter on the end of the unit to catch it. never caused a problem.

3. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

[​IMG]

Well I am just learning about this overclocking thing. I managed to get these scores with my "AC2PC" mod. My x1900xtx and Crossfire cards Rivatuned to 715 core / 864 mem. My FX-60 has a hard time getting past 2.90 ghz. Is this a good score?

4. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Its certainly not bad for that setup :)

5. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Spring is here and I just put the AC back in. Still working like a charm.

6. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Oh I rebuilt my machine. Pulling 20k 3dmarks now in 05.

7. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Oh yeah condensation develops on the tube gping to the machine but not in the machine. The warmer air condenses and turns to water. No condensation has ever been in my machine. I have 3 fans blowing out (back top and front) and 2 fans blowing in (bottom of case and side where cool air is coming in).

I still have the condensation buildup stickers inside the PC and they are still white so no condensation inside for over a year. Some times condensation builds on the outside of the case but rarely. Only if it is hot in my office.

8. matthew_davao

matthew_davao New Member

Too dangerous to do in the tropics. :D

9. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Holy shit it's been one year today since I posted this.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

11. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

I could do it.. but i hace a split ac lol.. BTW Freaking NICE MOD

12. Gizmo[5h1t3]

Gizmo[5h1t3] New Member

if i even thought of suggesting this to the missus, she`d freak....venting hoses running all over the place...lol

sick mod tho...nice work!!

13. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Try running a dehumidifier in that room to get all the moisture out of the AC isn't. It'll dry the room out really fast and then you need not worry about condensation at all.

14. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I have those cell phone condensation detectors (it's just a sticker that changes color from white to red if there is condensation in the cell phone.) I have about 6 in the PC and are still white. My machine is stable, fast, and I can play Crysis on Ultra everything with 30 fps with it on. About 19 fps when it's off cause I can't O.C. as high.

15. wheelnut53

wheelnut53 New Member

please tell us how you came to think of this ...lol
    I have a theory but want to hear from you . Hard to believe the liquid didn't do the job alone

16. kevnam

kevnam New Member

omg that is epic. great job!

I always thought of having a huge fan somewhere pulling air from the case through a tube :p I guess this is the opposite.

17. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

In 1998 I worked as a graphic designer for a company that did mostly Expo's. I designed vinyl graphics. My room got really hot in the summer and the PC kept crashing. I put my PC under the AC and taped a cardboard box running from the AC's vented to the open PC case and it worked. A few years later I tried it on my machine and it's worked ever since. Never had an issue. Plus I live in Tennesse where it get's real hot. I had a liquid cooler but it was junk until I got this.

Being an artist, I get paid to be creative. lol

18. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

LOL

i actually had an idea of doing something like that, but never carried it out... now because of you i will do this haha.

19. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Bump

My AC2PC mod is still going strong. I rebuilt my machine to catch up with the latest tech. My condensation stickers inside are still white. No dust inside. The only condensation ever gets on the metal tube going to the PC like a soda can, but the air is cool. My machine just gets cool air blown into it. Almost 2 years now night and day I keep my machine going and never had an issue. Been playing Crysis Warhead today on "Enthusiat" setting and pulling 40 FPS average.

My new specs...
    My specs: (Crossfirex dual cards, also super quiet) HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR4... CPU AMD A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g ... MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 .... MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude... 2x 60 gb WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 650 gb Western Digital HD 750 Watt Toughpower Thermaltake PSU, lotsa fans. I fan blowing in the cool AC air and 2 fans blowing out. One at the back of the case and one at the top.

20. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

very nice.. Good for you that it works and you have no issues with condensation!