How to improve fluency of the video?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by eny, Apr 30, 2012.

1. eny

eny New Member

Hi,

My videos on youtube are not fluecy (www.youtube.com/user/DominicoGame) :/. So I decided to do something with it. Now I am wondering about few things. How to record video to have fluency video (I mean in 45fps/50fps) and how to render it. Second things is ... I want to buy external disk or HD Recoder and here is the problem beacuse I am not sure what will be better for me. I am making videos from games mostly so what will be better for me?
    1) external esata disk 750GB/1TB 7200
    or
    2) HD recoder
    I am not sure that HD Recoder can record this what I am doing on my laptop. If someone is sure that HD Recoder will record the "picture/this what I am doing" on my laptop please tell me it.

Tell me please what will be best for me and how I can improve fluency of my videos?

Best regards, Dominik.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

FYI... the most likely reason your not getting fluent video is due to youtube transcoding the video into 30fps... which means that frames are either essentially interchanged/removed and or mixed to drop the frame rate down.

The result is a weird stutter like result.... a 60fps video will appear to be consistantly "jerky" when played back at 30fps due to every other frame being dropped. any other partial frame rate that is above 30fps will produce hiccup or hitching every second. It's just not consistant.

It's unfortunate as i'd LOVE to upload plenty of true 60fps or even 120fps video..... but oh well.

Now personally after having cycled through dozens upon dozens of programs and numerous bits of hardware for recording games or even my desktop, i've basically found myself running back to fraps... It is by far the most reliable/fastest/best quality and reliable file size/format recording solution i've used.

I played with msi afterburner and V3 has recommended another one i can't quite name at the moment (can't remember it off hand)... and there are dozens of others out there.

After playing with them all, i ended up with essentially similare file sizes to fraps newest build, and they typically introduced other issues that fraps simply doesn't have at all.

With a 640gb HD, recording 1920p content OR HIGHER usually results in approximately 1 hour and a half give or take of video before the drive is full.

I personally would stick to an internal/external SATA drive or newer USB 3.0 drive IF that is a viable last resort option.. no guarantees of the usb 3.0 as it's a bit of a resource hog when transfering at high speeds.

You can see how some of my stuff has turned out...

http://www.youtube.com/dhjudas

I use what was recommended to me to merge the fraps avi files into a single solid and high quality yet quite small mp4... staxrip.

So set whatever your recording to record at 30fps..... you may have to lock the frame rate at 30fps.. although i know fraps now supports an unlocked frame rate mode which can still introduce SOME stutter/nonfluent playback....

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. eny

eny New Member

Yeah your video is f****** amazing fluency! Ok so I will buy external esata hdd. Hmm so should I record everithing in 30fps ? Or 35 and render it to 30?

4. Judas

record EVERYTHING and RENDER EVERYTHING at 30fps....

Ishank likes this.
  5. jdm11b

jdm11b New Member

The human eye can't see much more than 30 fps. All film is 24 fps. Games run at higher fps so that they don't bog down during heavy action. You can't see a difference between 40 fps and 100 fps. If you think you can, you're full of b.s. However, play a game at 40 fps and sometimes it will drop to 15-20 fps, so you think "oh, 40 fps must be slow because I can see it slowing down." Nope, you just see a brief moment of 15 fps when you were moving really fast and 20 bad guys attacked you.

6. Judas

jdm11b....

never say that again

It is the most untrue and absurd myth idiotically parroted around the web still.

no offence but it's absurd in so many ways it's hard to cover them all.

First, the human eye nor any other organic eye does NOT see in a "FPS" style... there are not individual "frames" being recognized.

Instead the eye accepts and processes a constant stream of light information, as fast as our bio-chemical nerves and pulses can travel, is as fast as it changes.

our eyes "shake" invuluntarily in order to ensure that our sight remains updated at all times, if you concentrate on holding still and stairing at an object at a length of time, you'll experience tunnel vision or darkening of vision. This is due to the mind growing "used" to what your looking at. More detail on that.

We don't notice the shake due to it happening so consistantly.

now jet fighter pilots (The one i talked to who lives locally here) said that in order to pass completely, there is a test in which you sit in a pitch black room and film or video is shown in complete darkness, the frames have nothing on them except for 1. The film is shown at a rate of well over 150fps, the test is to be able to not only identify the plane type, but it's origin as well as it's identification with that frame flipping through in a near instant.

additional tests show that we can see differences well past the 1000fps However obviously the higher you go the more difficult it is to notice.

24fps is standard film because at the time they were trying to balance cost/comfort. At which point does the average human begin to experience discomfort watching film.... yet what is the lowest number of frames per second we can go to save material/cost on the film.

24 was the value discovered as acceptable.

This value is still used today because even with digital recording, space/data and encoding/conversation and such is expensive with anything more.

James Cameron intends to record the next movie of his at 60fps, which one article i read expected the costs to nearly triple for post production and computing power required to handle it.

3D effects will of course require more than twice the required rendering time too.

Playing a game at a consistant framerate is the most significant, however having had experience playing various games over the course of the first introduction of 3D accelerated gaming through to today, playing games at 30fps vs 60fps vs 90fps vs 120fps and 160fps (120fps for more modern 120hz monitors but i still have a CRT here capable of dilivering 160 and 180hz aka fps).... nothing compares to playing at 120fps or higher.. nothing... if the frame rate can hold solid at that speed, the experience is amazing.

I tolerate 30fps..... i expect 60fps.... i want 120fps.

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

of course you can see the differences in FPS for the simple reason like Judas said, we do not see things in Frames per Second. We can probably accurately translate that to frames per second but what we see is bottlenecked by our hardware.

Most computer monitors can only put out 60-75 as noticeable FPS because that is as fast as they can put out to the human eye. You cant see much difference between anything above 60 FPS because your hardware shows no improvement!

Newer 120hz displays allow for a considerable boost in frames to the eye and yes, its noticeable, especially if you can input a 120hz signal.

an easy test to judge FPS clarity is to see something like text being scrolled across the screen at a high speed.

That text is downright disgusting when being scrolled by at 24-30 FPS and can be hard to read. The same text at 60 FPS is fairly clear and can be read by most easily, that same text at 120 FPS would usually be crystal clear and you should be able to just glance at the screen and take the information off of it perfectly if you have sharp eyes.

8. Judas

Provided your machine can maintain the flash animation at the set motion speed..

you'll clearly notice the MASSIVE difference between 15fps/30fps/60fps

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

9. Jackson Ku

Jackson Ku New Member

A handy and reliable HD screen recorder will definitely help. I myself use a screen recorder called Joyoshare VidiKit. It is able to record screen and save it as lag-free and high-quality videos. Most importantly, it is easy to use.