how to solve nvlddmkm.sys

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by CDsDontBurn, Jan 14, 2008.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I find that running RAM and CPU at stock speed and latency always cures this problem.

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

get the EVGA Precision utility to monitor your video card's temperature under idle and load. you can also use it to monitor your FPS and use it to underclock/overclock the video card as well. These 8800GTXs can reach 100C before the card begins to experience thermal failure.

I found that to be the case as well. But what if you have memory that is overclocked, like DDR2 1066 or DDR3 1800? clocking down the memory isn't the solution, it's a work around. but, if you don't care about a drop in FPS and just want the system to be stable, then by all means, go for it :p

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This is very true. Howver, I find that just pulling back your memory overclock slightly has a big impact on stability with a minimal impact on FPS.

4. D_ToXx

D_ToXx New Member

trie'd yesterday: bios update grafic, remove everything from nvidia with driver cleaner pro in safe modus. installed the nvidia drivers and nope...

today:EVGA precision downl. at 78 degrees celcius a nvlddmkm crash(10min) restart, and at 73 degrees BSOD after 5 min(GPU temp.) restart,
    I've put the biggest fan in the house (50cm) in the computer and a nvlddmkm
    crash after something like 5min..

so it's not a heating problem? I've litte bit clocked the E6850 to a 3800mhz.
    but I have the crash still after several reïnstallation's everthing orginal.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I wouldn't propose this as a final solution, but by means of locating your issue, have you tried running your entire system at stock speeds?

6. CDsDontBurn

do the stock clock thing first, then i suggest that you try using a different video card.

7. D_ToXx

D_ToXx New Member

yes with only cod4 installed: a BSOD (realtek driver crash) solution on the internet:pug a mic in the motherboard,enz.... put them on/off enz with a mic in and nope....:mad:

believe me.. name it and I've done it, incl. more/less volts PCI port with de realtek driver crash solution. I'm almost for sure it has something to do with de realtek chipset.. (heating problem)

I've put my grafic cart by a frend of my in his computer: crash after 10 min and retrying: crash after 5 min..

I've send my'n grafic cart back to EVGA. cart was fine....(???? sure??) but when they say it's a good grafic cart I believe them..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  8. D_ToXx

D_ToXx New Member

memtest: 2 fail's memory. orthox not a fail... it's the memory of the board..

9. DjFluidz

DjFluidz Active Member

Many solutions.. most just a temp fix.. then the problem returns.. i had this problem for ages.. and i tried everything.. To find out.. It was my shader clock on the 8800gtx being too high..

I used Evga precision to oc the cpu.. and oc the shader too.. Well at 1500, the shader produced a driver nvlddkm error.. bsod..

After dropping it down to 1450, the bsod never appeared.

I ran Bioshock, for 15 mins at both settings.. 5 times at each speed. once theshader was at 1500mhz, bsod after 15 mins or so.. Temp was hitting 84c.. so not deadly..

My advice. Give it a go.. If you've overclocked the graphics card, try putting the mhz back t o stock levels and see if the problem goes away. If not, try underclocking by 10%. At least u can eliminate the graphics card to an certain extent.

Worked for me.. Games arn't pumping out that extra fps i was after.. but hey at least theyre stable..

Also.. Ram can be an issue too.. I found that If i oc'd the ram too much, or dropped the latencies too low.. The same screen would appear.. I eliminated both step by step.. Keep ur ram at 1:1 for best results. Try dropping to stock rated speeds in the bios to see if that helps.

Try the ram first.. then try the graphics after. I doubt the drivers have anything to do with most game bsod's.. (in relation to this subject) because i tried around 5 different ones.. for a while they ran fine.. and it was only when i put on that hugely demanding game, ie bioshock.. the thing went haywire on me.. Damn, not even Crysis showed any problems.

10. Pdissel

Pdissel New Member

Hi all,

I stumbled across these boards while googling the error I was getting BSODS from and here's my story:

I just built a new i7 based rig with a gtx 280, but because my dorm outlets have AFCI on them my old power supply of 1000 watts would short the power in my whole suite so I went a little short and only got a 750. First setup was fine, but while defragging someone in my room restarted my computer and killed my explorer.exe so I had to go to hell and back to recover my files, but I did (dont mix drinking and defragging). The thing was, the nvlddmkm never occured in a good 4 day span, so when I reformatted and started having trouble I tried to search for what the problem could be by comparing/contrasting differences between now and then. I tried the safe mode boot, uninstall and reinstall and it didnt work, I tried a complete new reformat that worked until I restarted AFTER the drivers were installed and BSODS kept happening, then I tried the power thing and I realized two things: before the error, I had it set to high performance and while it was happening it was on balanced. This was the first fixer. I also didn't install the gigabyte dynamic power saver software, but I'm not sure if that even mattered. Right after putting it on High Performance I restarted successfully 5 times in a row with no BSODS while before they would happen every single boot up.

Point is for me it was something as simple as turning the power up, so it could be possible this is caused by weak power supplies, which to me is the last thing you'd expect when its a driver dll function failing, but it works now and if it fails anywhere down the line I'll come back looking for more answers. I think in the meantime I'm going to go shopping for a new PSU and some off campus housing...

Good luck to you all

11. sterben

sterben New Member

Also happening with my 8800GT when I even try to overclock it. :(

12. prophetaxxi

prophetaxxi New Member

Hi everyone! first post here! I have been experiencing pretty much everything that all of the forum members have experienced! Earlier today I spent over 2 hours with microsoft technical support! off course they were not able to find a fix for the famous "nvlddmkm.sys" . So I didn't give up and finally was able to "bypass" this freaking error by installing an earlier nvidia 174.51 driver! I'm including the link for the driver here , be sure to only install the driver in SAFE MODE ALONE (no safe mode with network) after a reboot you should be okay! I've ran several games afterwards! so far no problems whatsoever! here's a quick spec of my rig:

Vista Home premium 64bit
    Asus Geforce 9800 GX2
    Asus P5Q SE/R mobo
    Corsair XMS2 4GB
    Audigy 2 ZS SC

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  13. CDsDontBurn

the the 9 series, in particular the 9800gx2 card, this is a list of all the most recent (last 20) WHQL and Beta drivers for Vista x64. And this is the page for the Vista x32 version of the driver.

prophetaxxi, just keep in mind that the nvlddmkm.sys error can be resolved through a wide range of different methods. the easiest, and most preferred if possible, is through driver updates or changes as you described. other times, it takes tweaking of your system to resolve the issue. and in more extreme cases, it would require replacing your hardware. typically the video card is replaced if this is the case, but in other cases, even the motherboard needs to be replaced.

this is what has been my experience when dealing with the nvlddmkm.sys error.

14. calcruiser

calcruiser New Member

this problem took 6 hours of my life. found this page to be helpful thanks to everybody. finally resolved issue going into safemode with networking. went to nvidia's website and updated driver.
    hp media center machine
    windows vista
    geforce 8500

15. calcruiser

calcruiser New Member

update from calcruiser. this problem has now taken 12 hours of my life. new nvdia driver didn't fix the problem. next boot it was bad again. tons of artifacts would not boot. searched nvlddkm.sys on youtube and found lots of people having success baking video cards in the oven. i wrapped the card in tin foil. preheated oven to 385 and baked card for 10 minutes. amazed that it solved the problem. have consecutively and successfully booted about 7 times now. this supposedly works for all circuit boards. think i can safely say my problem was with fractures in the card. not a software issue. my advice to someone dealing with this is to bake or replace video card and see if that solves the problem first before wasting 12 hours of your life.