how to steal a motorcycle (blog)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Falstaff, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

2. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

What a bizarre world we live in!!

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

couldnt resist...someone here at work had their motorcycle jacked...

According to several eyewitnesses including the security guard, they literally picked the bike up and shoved it into a truck?!
    I dont think so...
    Bikes are heavy..
    I think it was an inside job..
    It was a Katana or something like that, they are pretty heavy bikes right...I dont think you can push them anywhere without the key in the ignition. They are like cars right, the steering is locked, the wheels wont roll right?
    I think the security guy did it, there would have been no time to "hot wire it" or physically pick it up and throw it on a truck.

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

great seeing all these motorcycle related threads jeff but whats with the sudden off topic spamming ? very few people here are actually interested in them.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I am not trying to spam, I want see what people have to say.
    Motorcycles terrify me really.
    Something within me wishes I guess I could ride one, you know, but I am too big, that means that I have to ride a Harley or a similiar style bike, and they loaf along at slow speeds. In England where I will be working, apparently many of the base employees enjoy motorcycles as well. I would have to lose about 40 or more pounds I guess, but I think the freedom of owning a bike is like the undiscovered country for me. But with the way I drive, if I get a bike, I might be actually be more dangerous in terms of taking risks. I know what the acceleration on a bike can do, I actually wrecked one that didnt belong to me, and I had to pay to have it fixed, that was expensive. At one point, I nearly convinced myself that I should buy one and save lots of money on gas and maintenance.
    But I wonder, with the popularity of motorcycles and in spite of the risks associated with operation if it wouldnt be better for my son as well, he could get a little displacement jobber to get him from home to work each day and it costs pennys compared to filling up the car I bought him, he seems to think they are cool, and I dont disagree at all, just worried about him and other drivers. After I ran a guy over a while back and coming to terms with my problem with my peripheral vision.
    Maybe its time for me to get in shape and get something that represents freedom like a bike, or a small two seater car, I am approaching middle age, my birthday is in September, and should be in England by then, I thought it can't be that dangerous for bikes in the country near Lakenheath, I mean why not?
    Its not near London, people probably drive alot slower, its cheap to operate with the price of gas by the litre I still could afford it. As it stands, I cannot ship my car overseas anyway.
    sorry about the spam...guess I am interested right now...perhaps it will pass.

6. HardwareHeaven

you know what might be ideal for you Jeff? one of the large scooters (like a honda silverwing). they make them over 500c now .... did you ever do a bike test ? they are great for those of the erm larger proportion, economical, comfortable and great for commuting.

[​IMG]

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

That's it!!!
    that is what I saw people riding overseas in Japan..LOL...
    But if I get a Goldwing or a one of these people will make fun of me for sure...

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Skip that Jeff, if you have the cash to blow go for the Hog. You can't do hard turns & such, the fatboys mostly ride pretty low, but believe me, they have enough engine on them to carry even a fat ass (not that that's you of course ;) ) and they will go plenty fast enough. I don't really recommend dropping that kind of dough for a first bike though. Find yourself a old, large honda or Kawa and learn on that for a year. You drop that a time or two and you aren't denting/scratching ruining $25,000+ investment.

I haven't had a bike in 15 years but I am seriously jonesing to get back into it. My wallet would appreciate it as well. $3.00 a gallon for gas is getting really old. :sigh:

I've been looking at the Suzuki Boulevards for several months (I'm not hot on the traditional speed bike look. I like the "classic" style far better), but since I'm closing on a new house today which is going to about triple what my mortgage has been I fear I'll not be picking up anything new for a while...

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I wish I could afford a Harley, my goal is to remain financially solvent in England..LOL
    I know my brother had an old Norton and a BSA, I might talk him out of those low tech bikes and see whether I can ship one of those..
    but that bike that Z showed me looks comfortable enough..:)

10. HardwareHeaven

I wouldnt recommend a harley for england mate tbh, you want something jap like in its reliability and perhaps a bit more economical. the silverwing I showed you is pretty much a luxury scooter and new would set you back a bit, but it was just an idea. Some of the bigger scooters are really fun to ride, comfortable and economical, as well as having decent fat rubber and being able to deal with crap weather. Something like a 125cc would be ideal.

I think you would have a blast and they are automatic too so no worry about gear changing until you feel a little more comfortable and want to move up.

All depends on how far you want to take it, but I would suggest you pay for a training course, it could very well save your life.

11. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

jeff needs a moped

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I would crush a moped...not a pretty site...I already look like a hog straddling a split rail fence when I sit on a crotch rocket...
    No, maybe 125 cc is better, and an automatic, and something docile, I am afraid anything more exotic and I would becomea poster child for what "not to do".

13. Tinkerhell

MANDATORY!!

If I do manage to get myself another bike at some point I'm going to retake a course just because it's been so long since I've been on a bike.

14. HardwareHeaven

I agree jeff, pick up a year 2000 125cc scooter from a good dealer when you get over to england and take a mini training course. wont cost the earth either. take some pictures too :)

15. HardwareHeaven

Ive had like 30-40 bikes in 20 years and im still learning, the last track day I did, I was taken around a course by an ex racer and this guy was incredibly skilled and not a young guy either (like 55) and was showing me some amazing techniques especially with braking at specific lean angles. He said I was a great rider though, I dont think ive ever felt prouder :) I take my riding very seriously. If you don't you end up in a body bag.

My point? if you learn the right way, and keep your mind open enough to be continually learning, not only do you become a better rider but you also make fewer mistakes, leading to fewer accidents.

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

My bone of contention as well, my very first ambulance call as a young EMT was for a fellow that lost control of his bike when he suffered a siezure and went under a school bus. The poor fellow had a flail chest and irreguler heart beat, this was in the old days when we didnt have a thumper or cardiac needle to relieve the pericardial pressure around his heart. I literally watched die over the course of several hours after everything could have been done to him. I still wonder if its just crazy to ride a bike, but I want to feel the wind in my face again and enjoy the road, the way it was meant to be, with me in full control.

17. HardwareHeaven

Well you are going to need to block all that stuff out Jeff because if you are riding around thinking of a dying biker you are not going to be concentrating and giving it your all, which will lead to something nasty.

Im not trying to put you off, but not everyone can ride a bike, and a few things you have said have concerned me. You can't jump on a bike and be afraid, if you are tense or afraid its a recipe for disaster.

Id rather not see you end up wiped out by some tosser in a car who thinks we all deserve to die. better maybe just picking up an old car when you get to england and learning to use the "stick shift" with the other hand.

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I am not getting any younger Allan, I might as well just do it and get it over with. I mean, I can jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute, I can walk up to a guy twice my size and defend myself when I am drunk and I sure seem to have amnesia when I want to impress a girl. But it's different when I am by myself..
    That is what I want to accomplish, one of those last hurdles, like hang gliding or mountain climbing...just to do and say I did.
    I take risks everyday and I know sooner or later my health will not be as good as it is now.
    Call me crazy I know, but I just want to go over a hundred miles an hour and really feel the power of a good bike.
    I dont think twice about getting on a plane, drive a car or otherwise..but to be in control of a bike when you go over 5000 rpm has to be a real rush..
    mid life crisis maybe, but I have to slay some demons, and this is one of them.
    Thanx Allan..

19. Tinkerhell

If you just want to feel the wind in your face you could just get a horse.
    :D

I've hit 115 on that old kaw I had in my teens out on some backcountry roads. It was a hell of a rush! I knew if I hit any kind of small pot hole, or rock or other trash & wiped out I was a dead man. It was not the smartest thing I've ever done (I was in my teens and of course nothing was ever going to happen to me...) but I didn't wreck and taknig your life into your own hands just has an affect on a person that you can't duplicate otherwise.

If/when I end up with another bike, I don't expect I'll ever go that fast again. Older and wiser and not interested in that particular rush now. One of these days I'm going to jump out of a plane though....

20. HardwareHeaven

I understand were you are coming from, but for god sake man, take your time, do it the right way and work up the cc classes. I sure as hell would like to be talking to you on DH in ten years time.