How to use CD inputs in prolog?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenoitSvB, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

What are the CD inputs (AC97-CD and CD-SPDIF) in the prolog good for? I do not know how to make my CD start pushing a data stream into that ports. When I use any mediaplayer, the first moment to intercept the stream is when it is delivered into the FxBus by the player.
    What is it for obvious, that I do not see?

2. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

AC97-CD and CD_SPDIF are both connectors on the card itself. Most people have the AC97-CD plugged in, that's the crappy little analog audio cable that comes with your CD-ROM drive and you probably don't want to use it, especially not compared to the fxbus stuff. CD_SPDIF is good for using from your CD-ROM to the card, but you'd have to find (good luck there...) and purchase the SPDIF wire with connectors, and your drive would have to have the connectors on it (one of my two does...and no, I don't have a DVD). Regardless, it's really not worth it either way.

3. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

Thnx for your answer; I have both cables and connectors, thats not the problem. Suppose I connect them, how to use them? I put a CD in my drive, but I can only force it to play by using a mediaplayer. Even if teh mediaplayer reproduces the sound, the signals travel over the FxBus and never over the inputs in the prolog...

4. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

in wmplayer options -> device -> your cd rom drive you can tell it to take from analog, where it will use the AC97 in
    however, wmplayer doesn't appear to support the spdif_in, and I don't know where you'd find a player that would....

5. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

mmm; even with the option analogue in wmp teher is no traffic on the prolog; wmp seems to fetch the .cda files through the file system; I only see the produced music on the FxBus...

6. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

The difference between FXbus and Prolog is that the FXbus is sounds that are produced on the card, or sent over the PCI bus, to the card. Prolog is for any other way for sound to get to the card--either analog or digital.

The pins on Prolog for AC97 CD represent an analog input called CD_IN; this is usually on the top of the card, inside the computer. You can connect any analog line-level stereo source to this input, with the right wires.

The pins on Prolog for CD_SPDIF represent the CD SPDIF input. This is a digital input (SPDIF-formatted, amazingly enough) and the hardware connector for it is also on the top of the card, inside your computer.

In order to make something appear here, you have to make a physical connection from the CD-ROM drive to the card.

Really, though, you're more likely to get good, quality sounds using Media Player or something like it. These sounds are actually extracted from the CD over the IDE bus, and it goes straight to the CPU instead of to the sound card.

What is it you're trying to do, exactly?

7. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

I have no problem making good recordings with wmp or Cubase for that matter; I am just trying to understand what these prolog CD-ins are good for; did you ever manage to get a signal on it?

8. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

Yes of course you/we can record from these inputs.

As Nappylady already explained;
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pins on Prolog for AC97 CD represent an analog input called CD_IN; this is usually on the top of the card, inside the computer. You can connect any analog line-level stereo source to this input, with the right wires.

The pins on Prolog for CD_SPDIF represent the CD SPDIF input. This is a digital input (SPDIF-formatted, amazingly enough) and the hardware connector for it is also on the top of the card, inside your computer.
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CD_SPDIF is the most simple way to connect any external digital device with an SPDIF output.
    For example, I have my Roland XV-5050 digitaly connected to this CD_SPDIF input.

The major difference between the CD_SPDIF and the other SPDIF in/outs on the card
    is that CD_SPDIF has al the required electronic parts( Sample Rate and level converters etc.) onboard.
    (only some older SBLive Value cards don't have these parts)

Further, these input ports are 'Prolog type' [or use SRC], so that's were these signals enter the DSP
    from which you can route/procces them or whatever.
    (always use the 'Peak' plugin to check if there is signal comming in)

Hope It's clear now.

/LeMury

PS:
    If you have an Audigy, another usefull option is to use the AC97 CD_IN as a second Analog recording input,
    while using the Line_IN (switched to the Phillips UDC) as your primary Analog recording input.
    This way you have true 4-channel recording on one card for free.
    (see threads discribbing this option)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  9. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

I am convinved every signal i manage to pot on those ports can be recorded perfectly. Let me refrase my question: How van I make my CD/DVD player start pushing a datastream into that ports? As I told earlier, not with WMP (AFIK). This is not so much a question how kX driver works, but more a question how can I make the internal CD/DVD device generate a stream into these ports?

10. Lex Nahumury

>>Let me refrase my question: How van I make my CD/DVD player start pushing a
    >>datastream into that ports?
    Ok,. first connect that 2 pole digital cable that (hopefully) came with your CD/DVD player to
    the CD_SPDIF port on your soundcard..duh.

>> As I told earlier, not with WMP (AFIK).
    As someone else mentioned before in this thread, you have to tell XP *not* to
    digitaly "ripp" data from the CD/DVD during playback, but to use "analog"
    But indeed, for some strange reason WMP keeps playing back digitaly.

You need a simple CD track player like 'Pico player' which just issues
    start, stop, eject etc. commands.

If anyone else knows how to do this with WMP,....feel free to etc. etc....

/LeMury
    [EDIT]
    Ah,..just fiddled around;
    Open Multimedia Properties->Hardware->"your cdrom"->Properties->Properties-> untag "use digital.."
    That works for me, now WMP just issues ATAPI commands.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  11. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

So there are two places to control:

12. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

With digital checked off in the device properties AND in WMP (Tools, Options, Devices, My DVD, Properties) I succeeded in directing a stream to the prolog AC97 CD port. Many thanks all! All other three settings make WMP only deliver on FXBus (in my setup). So I am looking now for a link to download Pico Player (or similar). Any suggestios for a link or a similar program? Thnaks so far again :)

13. Lex Nahumury

I can't remember the name exactly. ( pica or pico ) Can't seem to find it via Google.
    Anyway, look for any/some freeware CD player applet that issues ATAPI commands
    and works under XP.

/LeMury

14. BenoitSvB

BenoitSvB New Member

yeah; very busy doing that; thnx :) Still could be that my Sony DRU510A does not support SPDIF though it has an output; found somewhere in the Hardware setup indtructions on the companion CD a pic of that output with the instruction: Do Not Use :) (or :()

15. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

Actually some dvd/cd players have a physical PLAY button on them. one of mine has a play, stop, next track, previous track on it. It only plays *.wav files or things normally compatable with an AUDIO CD (not MP3 etc) I can actually use my cd drive as a cd player with the headphones output on it while any power is going to the cd drive (does not have to be hooked up to computer) I am assuming that it is also sending out SPDIF data in tandom with the headphone outputs SO you may want to try something like that. (get a cd player that has external controls on it)

EDIT: I say "some dvd/cd players" I am referring to a computers cd/dvd drive here