hows windows7

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by DJ BIG T, Oct 26, 2009.

1. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

so hows windows 7 just want to hear from you guys about it was it worth the upgrade? whats its like is it a lot better then vista? do you wish you would of waited a few more months before you got it..you should get it its great..
    i would like to here from you windows 7 owners..

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Windows 7 is their best operating system yet and I can highly recommend it. I love the fact that no matter what system you install it on now (like for our review systems for instance), it always finds suitable drivers to get 99% of the hardware working perfectly, right out of the box.

Performance on a semi modern, mid range pc won't be dramatically better than Vista, but its noticeable on a lower end PC. apart from that its a solid all round, and very capable OS for work, gaming or anything else you can throw at it.

I am a big fan.

If you do end up with it, get the 64bit version. Are you thinking of running it on the system in your profile?

3. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

yes i am z thats why im asking about to see if its worth getting...

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo.. it's worth every penny.

you can get an OEM copy of win7 for dirt cheap...... better to buy oem imo.

5. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

It's awesome! :D I'm running Enterprise 64bit on my gamer machine and my laptop. It's fast, pretty, has some nice new features (jumplists, peek and more) and it's fast, yeah thats worth mentioning twice :)

If I hadn't got for free via my work, I would have bought it for sure.

6. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

get 64bit and prepare to fall in love

i reallllllllly don't get why people still install 32bit operating systems outside of the workplace...

7. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Honestly Vista was visually nicer (task bar, cursors) especially the default wallpapers. These notification bar icons line-art style to the right look cheapish - so do the 1960 style cursors supplied (no more 3D cursors).

The upgrade install from Vista caused me a big HDD performance degradation - I had to clean install to have my boot-up time back to normal.

Other than that Win7 so far is nearly perfect - everything works much better/smoother than in Vista (search, system wakeup, nicer display and icons). MS supplies (first time) skins for this OS which are nice.

However I found two compatibility issues - 3Dmark06 no longer runs in non optimal resolution settings. For me it only works in 1920x1080 and nothing else.. a small message window pops up while the first benchmark scene plays..stays there..then this window moves slowly..then blanks the screen and drops back to the menu. The other problem is more minor (slow loading of one toolbar) in wife's designer software.

So you can see by now Win7 is a mixed bag for me.

8. HardwareHeaven

I would never perform an 'upgrade' of any windows OS, they never work well, never have. As for windows Vista being visually nicer, I certainly couldn't agree with that either - there are a lot more options to customise the appearance in Win 7 than Vista. Those other issues you mention are more programming issues with the applications because those developers who broke or bent specific rule sets are now paying the penalty with the latest OS. this is why most of the well coded applications work perfectly fine in Windows 7. Haven't tried 3dmark in Windows 7 so I couldn't comment on that, I find those applications pretty much useless.

9. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Zardon, my comment is based on the comparison of the default skins of Vista/Win7

sure, right, about bent software but what worked fine under Vista why no longer?

my Win7 errorlog shows trouble too - Ati driver (atikmdag), AMDsata and kernel loop errors. So still some way to go to get Win7 fixed up.

Another problem shows up but worse than Vista - 2 concurrent burn sessions with ImgBurn and watch Win7 unable to uphold buffer levels nearly doubling burn time.

And btw email notification is failing again :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  10. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

my comp came with 32bit i was thinking maybe get 64 vista but 7 is looking good..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  11. HardwareHeaven

Fair enough, still disagree though, but its personal taste I guess. I don't know anyone who sticks with a default skin anyway.

There can be certain software that might have issues like 3dmark which may very well be to driver code that has changed within windows 7. This is probably not the fault of Futuremark and im pretty sure they have updates to sort that out unless they are abandoning some of their older benchmarks - I haven't tested this as I don't care for synthetic benchmarking anyway. The other apps you mention more than likely just need updated by the creators. To be fair to Microsoft, they have set guidelines in place and those who generally adhered to them in the Vista days have applications that are still working perfectly fine. MS even offer a compatibility tool to developers to help them sort out their code.

I think to pass 100% blame to MS for this is a little niave. When an operating system changes, often the kernel and underlying code also does. I would be concerned actually if this wasn't the case !

Well ATI drivers are known to have problems if they aren't installed cleanly into a system initially - the fact you used an upgrade is probably part of the issue. deinstall all ATI software and drivers,. clean the registry and reinstall. it will more than likely clean this up for you.

I have tested about 15 ATI cards on Windows 7 when it was released and it works fine, I am posting this on a setup with 5770 in CF so I know its not the OS :)

12. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit - loving it.

In day to day browsing it seems so much snappier and responsive which is what I love in computers :)

All drivers installed perfectly, just restarted computer a few times to complete installs for software and we're all up an running. Installing it on the rest of the computers in my house this weekend (4 other computers :D)

13. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

if Windows 7 x64 Ultimate was a chick, I'd hit it

14. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

z my pops got 7 pro which he put it on his computer and 7home prem he wants to sell me home prem which has 32 and 64 os cds inside the box is it worth a $100 for it?

15. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

DJ, it's worth it.

DJ BIG T likes this.
  16. Judas

worth EVERY penny

DJ BIG T likes this.
  17. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

sweet ty guys im going to get it then..+rep for both of you...:D

18. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I bought Win 7 via ebay (uk) for £79.99 (Home Premium Retail) and i during the process i was asked which Bit i required... Naturally i wanted 64 bit.

I was dissapointed when i first opened the box and broke the seel on the case to see the disk said 32 bit software disk.Untill i felt there was another disk underneth.. Thankfully that was the 64 bit version..

So for the price here was not bad at all.. So if i have the currency rate correct... I would go for it and upgrade...

I have been using the full retail version for at least a week now and i have had no issues at all..and this is running a little quicker than vista..

19. Judas

glad they are shipping both disks.... it was freaking rediculious that vista had either one or the other

20. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

well bad new after i asked you guys if it was worth getting it for that price i went to go wash the jeep and my brother came over and got it then when i was finsh washing it i walk in got the $100 and was ready to hand it to my pops for windows 7 and that basterd sold it to my brother i was mad... but then got over it...lmao