HP Color LaserJet M477

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have never had a laser printer before. But, the other day one of my managers at work instructed me to throw this one in the dumpster...OR, if I wanted it I could have it. So....

I brought it home to see what might have been the problem (Other than it being "HP") that caused him to want to throw it away.

Got it home and got it up and running...no problem with that part. But, it definitely was missing ink cartridges. I ordered some via Amazon and they were delivered late this afternoon...one day, free delivery!

I got the ink installed and fired it up. First off, HP doesn't like 3rd party ink...but it accepted them.

For a test print I simply went to the settings and did a Clean function and then a Print Quality print out.

Here's where the "problem" surfaced: There are "smudges" of some image repeated down the left side of any print out. I've read that it's likely a problem with the fuser...the element that heats up and fuses the ink to the page. I "think" there may have been a...or more than one...paper jam that caused a page to stick to the fuser causing a "burn in image" on it. Am I on the right track here?

If this is the case, can the fuser be cleaned in such a way to make it usable again? I'm keen to take the unit apart and try.

OR, is it better to replace it? I could do that also, I'm quite sure.

As it stands, since I got it for zero cost...other than buying the ink so far, I think it might be worth trying.

UPDATED: As I understand it, once the print out starts showing this "ghost" images, it means the fuser is shot. Best...and only option...if one wants to keep using this printer is to replace the kit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Calliers likes this.
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It can be expensive to get the kit. $200 US and up. The roller is cheap.. under $25, but the fuser kit you won't find for less than $200. IF it's just the fuser, buy the kit. Even a used M477 can set you back $800 - $1000, so $200 isn't too unreasonable a cost, imo.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Dyre Straits

Exactly my thoughts. It would be nearly impossible to get a color laser printer for even less than $300 USD.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Dyre Straits

I found a supplier locally for $195 USD plus tax...free shipping. We'll see if this printer does what I HOPE it can do!

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Good luck, don't forget to keep us in the loop.

6. Dyre Straits

I got the replacement fuser kit this afternoon. It's installed and, while the printer works, there are black specks of toner on both the front and back side of each printout. In this condition, the printer will NOT be usable for anything but personal stuff that doesn't have to be of good quality. I'm thinking that the rollers have gotten dirty from the past fuser problem. That's simply a very top-off-the-head guess. I suppose now that I know how to take this thing apart, I could break it down again and see if those rollers can be cleaned. Or, is that not possible?

OH, and I did try to print a photo on HP Premium Glossy Photo paper and it came out the worst printout I've ever had! The toner hadn't even adhered to the paper. The image was nearly unrecognizable. And, yes, the fuser IS getting hot!

Calliers likes this.
  7. Tipstaff

That still sounds like a fuser problem, or at least the part that deals with removing excess toner (the black specks are a hint to this).

- When you mention that you had black specks on both the front and back, was this a duplex printed page? Or was it single sided, yet specks showed up on both sides? Were the specks fused to the paper?

- If you print more than one page do the specks show up in the exact same spot each time ? If so this could point to the transfer unit or the drum.

Edit: To be honest my focus as been on larger production printers these last 7-8 years (like the Xerox Nuvera... more specifically, it's the printers I use the most as part of my job.. or did up until a few months ago before my medical leave). Even though they work in a similar fashion the design is more elaborate. Takes a bit to adjust, so please forgive me if I stumble a bit trying to help.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  8. Dyre Straits

@Tipstaff,

I noticed a lot of "dust"...I believe it's toner dust...inside the unit and have used a canned compressed air to clean it out. While this did resolve some of the specks, it didn't take care of all of it. On the back side of the print out, and at the leading edge, there's nearly always a heavy presence of scattered black specks about credit card size. I believe this is from the feeder roller. This has cleared up significantly since the air cleaning.

This is a duplex printer and I've printed a few test runs of multi page 2-sided documents that also include images. Additionally, I've printed a full color 8x10 inch photo a few times on standard copy paper. While the colors are vibrant and the image very clear, there are random areas on each printing of the same image where a small void of toner exists...the opposite of a splatter...just a dot or small area with no toner...like a dead pixel on a display.

I'm inclined to go ahead a breakdown the unit one more time to see if a good thorough cleaning can clear things up. Otherwise, it's been a nice learning experience...and not too costly so far.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Tipstaff

You mentioned that some of the cartridge's were missing. Did you replace just the missing ones, or all of them? And if just the missing ones, which ones were not replaced (I'm wondering if the original cartridges are faulty)?

A little idea based on an old support thread:

"What we need to do is determine whether the problem is toner cartridge related, or fuser related.

Pull out all the paper trays, and put paper only in the 100-sheet multipurpose tray (tray 1). Send a print job to the printer (you can even use the built in printer test page). As soon as the paper gets pulled into the printer open the toner cartridge door to interrupt the printing. What you are trying to do is stop the printer half way through it's printing cycle. Essentially between 1/2 way before the fuser and 1/2 way after the fuser. If spots appear before the fuser then it is the toner cartridge that is faulty. If the spots appear only after the fuser then it is the fuser that is faulty."

Could be worth a try.

Edit: BTW, I can't recall if the 400 series of printers had a waste toner bottle, or if the toner cartridges themselves handled waste? I recall the 500 series has a waste bottle (located in the back behind a pull down panel).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Calliers likes this.
  10. Dyre Straits

@Tipstaff

I certainly appreciate all your attention and suggestions!

When I got the printer home there were no toner cartridges at all in it. I replaced all of them.

As things stand right now, there are no more splatters on the back side of pages that come through on one-sided printing. I've actually been doing some printing this evening for some gaming PC parts that one of the sales reps at work is asking me to build for him. Those pages are absolutely acceptable and look fine.

The only current problem is when printing a full-page/full color photo. I'm printing on standard letter sized copy paper...nothing glossy...just recycled paper. It seems if I don't go into the printer settings and select Plain for paper type the copy comes out trash. Setting it to Plain, it's much better but still has missing spots where no toner was transferred....like dead pixels I described above.

I also must mention: The cartridges AND the fuser kit came from separate companies. The cartridges are 3rd party ... not HP official. The fuser is a rebuilt one from a local company that does that. This was done to avoid paying the astronomical costs that HP charges for their supplies and to get me to a point to see if this printer was worth putting any effort into it. I'm convinced it would be a good printer for certain types of jobs.

Calliers likes this.
  11. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I was actually looking to buy a laser printed (black and white) as I like the fact of print not smearing and I saw them at around $300.

I do not know it that is worthy really.

What you guys think?

No, I do not do lots of printing nowadays, all is online thing.

12. Tipstaff

Of all the printers I've have owned over the years laser printers are still my go to. I still have my Brother HL-2270DW, which is now 10 years old, and still going strong.

Look at something like the Lexmark B2236dw for monochrome print, but just realize the starter cartridge is rather small. Another would be the Brother HLL2370DW, newest version of the one I have. Or even the Brother DCPL2550DW, an all-in-one unit. Those are all "budget" laser printers... also all wireless networked to boot.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Samsung's ML-XXXX series and Brothers own monochrome lasers are simply unbeatable imo. I've sold a pile of them.

14. arb65912

Thank you very much. Will check them out and I guess I will just get one ;-)

15. arb65912

Solid pile ..... so does it mean they are crap? lol,lol,lol.

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I sold a pile.... not a "solid pile"

If i were to go with a colour laser.. it'd be brother.. and likely samsung or brother for monochrome... i wasn't overly pleased with samsung's colour lasers.. but their monochrome are fantastic.

17. Dyre Straits

If I were to buy a color laser, I believe I would also go with Brother. I have two Brother printers here now. They are workhorses! And, I have never had an issue with 3rd party ink like the HP printer. As mentioned in the initial post, this color laserjet was to be thrown in the dumpster...OR I could opt to keep it. I decided to bring it home and see....first...what was wrong with it, and....secondly....to see what it would cost to fix it. For under $300 I'll hang onto it for awhile at least.

But..Brother products would be the ones I'd put serious money into.

18. arb65912

I am signing up for reading course ..... :D I feel embarrassed. Would swear it was "solid" , old brain makes tricks or starts. :)

19. arb65912

Thank you very much. I think I will just go with B&W Brother brans.

Thank you all again!