Hp Compaq dc5850 SFF restart

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by CameronF, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CameronF

CameronF New Member

Okay well my computer screwed up earlier today and I spent the day going over every troubleshooting problem there is but I couldn't fix it. It seems that there is a big virus on it so I wanted to restart it to factory settings and I can't get that to work either! Even with F11 or Alt + F11. I don't have a disk and since the computer won't load past the title screen (unless I go to a menu because F10 and F12 work fine) I can't burn one. I tried safe mode and it gave me errors. Is there anything I can do?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So, you do not have a recovery disc?

If it is a virus it might be not that hard to get rid of it, but that won't mean the current installation to be useless. If you don't care about the data on the hard drive, you could try formatting the drive and the installing the OS from the beginning. But if you don't have recovery discs or even an OS disc, then you should contact HP about it.

To check for virus, if you can use another computer to download and burn an iso then try this tool
    Avira AntiVir Rescue System - Download

3. CameronF

CameronF New Member

Thank you I will see if I can get that cd burned. I care a little bit about the stuff on it so of I can keep it then I'll go for it.

4. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

If you do have access to another computer, You could put a Live Linux distro on a dvd/usb, boot from that, then back up the stuff you want to save on a flash drive, and reinstall windows.