hsf for amd athlon xp advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Fantasma, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Fantasma

Fantasma Active Member

I can choose between this hsf:
    Arctic cooler 2l
    Arctic cooler 2tc revolution 2
    Thermaltake silent boost
    Thermaltake vulcano 12
    TR2 M2
    DCooler xp 3400

Which is the best in cooling for overclocking?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

the thermalright slk 800/900 series is the best

3. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

Out of your list I'd say the Thermaltake Vulcano 12 is probably a good choice. It comes with a very strong three bladed fan that has a dial. If you're looking for a more quiet solution, the Thermaltake Silent Boost is it and you can still overclock with it just not as high. I really don't know how the others perform though.... maybe you can find some reviews featuring those heatsinks to aid in your decision.

~eyeguy616

4. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

The volcano 12 won't fit on the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP so heads up on HSF size. I'm using the cheap ass stock Heatsink w/ an 83.6CFM fan...keeps it around 45C idle..not bad for stock.

5. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

it seems that the stock amd cooler is pretty good. For many people who don't do extreme overclocking it should be ok

6. Fantasma

Fantasma Active Member

Finally, I have bought the volcano12 because I have to do extreme overclocking to my amd 1800+ with my new abit nf7-s mainboard which I am going to receive next thursday;)

7. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

If you bought ThermalTake you arent gonna be doing anything extreme overclocking wise ;)

8. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

I'll second that notion. I too have been "fooled" by Thermaltakes savy. Basically, any HSF from Thermaltake after the Volcano 7+ series isn't worth it. They are way too big, heavy and loud. If only they could cool off the CPU better too. I had bought 3 previously ( Volcano 7, 10, 11 ) and have been very unpleased by there incapability to lower my CPU temps on load. Currently I'm running a Vantec Aeroflow with TMD and I must say that for the noise/cooling ratio, this one really suprised me. Now at full load 39 celcius and this with no other case fan actice (it falls to 32 celcius with 4 antec 80mm fans on). Note, my CPU is overclocked from a 2500+ (1833 MHz) to about a 3200+ (well more since it's at 2255 MHz).

9. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Good luck with your overclocking. But if you were planning on doing extreme overclocking you should of bought an high end cooling solution. Like the SLK-900 with a high CFM 92mm fan or better yet a really good water cooling unit.

10. Fantasma

Fantasma Active Member

:dead:
    Thanks for getting me happy:mad:
    Anyway, those coolers where the only choice I had so I´ll try the overclocking and I will let you know my results:bleh:

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

SLK900 with a 92mm high CFM fan (watch the db though over 45db is jetplane territory!). I run my barton @ 2500mhz 1.9 core volt 24/7 :)

12. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

sorry for not having better news for you :(

Basically I had a Volcano9 with the smart fan mod.

Very nice fan very bad heatsink :(

I put some Arctic Silver 3 on it when I got it and let it burn in for some time and my temps were still decent but not really an improvement unless I put the fan up to its highest speed which sounded like the original GeForce FX.

When my fiances brother got a 2500+ and an SLK-800 upstairs I snagged his new AMD stock cooler for it and it drove the temps down about 2*C and that was with some white thermal gunk not AS3 or anything else.

Now the only problem I had with the fan is that the wires they have setup for going to the controller that you can put in a PCI slot or up front are pulled way too tight. If you bend it at all in any direction you run the risk of snapping the wire :eek:

But other than that its a great cooling fan :)

However Im going with a Panaflo for the new SLK-800 a friend is giving to me (well actually hes giving me the panaflo as well so Im a lucky man.) That means silent cooling and good temps for overclocking. Now I just have to get some new PC3200 memory

13. Fantasma

Fantasma Active Member

14. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Let me find you some other reviews from reputable sites ;)

The cooltech one doesnt even let you know what fan was used for any of the other HSFs

15. Fantasma

Fantasma Active Member

Yes, look for them:)

16. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Here is one of the reviews pitting the Volcano12 directly against the SLK-800 that I mentioned earlier

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Volcano12/index.html

The SLK-800 in this review is using a Delta 80MM fan that produces a couple extra dB over the V12 when both are running at full speed.

(Dang that V12 is loud at like 48dB....always add 3 or 4 dB to what TT says the actual dB rating is ;) )

As I find more I will be adding them here :)

Here is another one that while it says is decent lets you know that the packaging on these things would allow the base to get scratched fairly easily during shipping

http://www.piratesoftware.org/showarticle.asp?intArticleID=38&page=1

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004