HTC Titan Windows Phone Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 16, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

HTC Titan Windows Phone Review

HTC's Titan, powered by Windows Phone 7.5, was released at the end of 2011 and today we give it a once over to find out what it offers for those looking for something a little different to Android and iOS.

2. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

As a long time WP7 user I thought it was best to clarify somethings.

The back button is a general purpose back button that goes through the active history. If you really want to naviigate IE you tap the three dots in the bottom right corner it brings up the menu and you can tap recent to go through the IE history.

Adobe is pulling out of the monile market and flash is also not supported on the iPhone and is becoming legacy tech.

There is three sections in the people's hub. All, What's New and Recent. Recent contains the most interacted with contacts. The screen also defaults to its last usage so if you swipe to All and hit back or the homescreen button the next time you open People it will open up on the All screen. You can also pin individual contacts as well as groups to the front page and each contact then has its own live tile. You can also bring in your twitter and facebook contacts just by adding your relevant account and the message tile will link SMS, MSN Messenger and FB chat/messages into a single thread.

Regarding the memory issue all WP7 phones have upload access to skydrive, youtube or facebook as standard within the camera and video apps which for the most part alleviates the issue.

3. Fustercluck

Fustercluck New Member

I'm actually thinking of getting one of these seeing as my upgrade plan is up. I have a Samsung Focus atm would it be worth upgrading to one of these or waiting maybe for a WP8 device?

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Hard to say really, generally there is always something new around the corner so if you wait then it turns into a waiting cycle where next you would be wondering "maybe I should wait on those 8.5 devices".

That said, some people cant handle not having the latest tech so I guess it maybe depends on your personality. All we can say is that this (and the Lumia 800) are excellent handsets.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Yup, the back is a general purpose button but I (and Niall) both feel that it makes sense for it to be used slightly differently in IE. Not going to happen due to MS's design ethic for WP but still a comment which is valid for those who would be new to the OS.

On the Flash front, Adobe as you say are reevaluating their mobile software but for the moment it is still something people use so needs noted. It will of course become less of an issue going forward.

You are correct on the Recent thing, as a WP user too I should have picked up on that :)

Which brings me to the storage thing. Skydrive does help but its not a great solution. I like to have a lot of media on my device and good 3G/Wi-Fi isnt always available, especially for those that travel so the lack of an SD card does cause some limitations for a group of users.

6. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Well WP8 aka Apollo is on the roadmap after Tango and that's not even released yet. WP8 likely won't be out until next Sept/Oct as that's two years after WP7 was released and just in time for the two year upgrade.

Adobe "re-evaluating" flash is putting it lightly Adobe Officially Abandons Flash Player For Mobiles! | The Art Of Developing

Its no longer technically supported on Android though licensees do have access to the source code for their own use. Its HTLM5 all the way from here.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012