Hundreds of customers waiting for Logitech Z-5500 speaker replacements

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HunterZ, May 26, 2005.

1. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Just wanted to get the word out that hundreds of customers have been waiting for up to 3 months for Logitech to ship them Z-5500d speakers as warranty replacements for defective Z-680 and Z-5500 speakers.

Logitech has been pretty tight-lipped about the situation, with the people I've contacted in sales, tech support, and PR either not knowing about the situation or not knowing when it will be resolved.

I've been in contact with around 10 other people, and we've pieced together that a good 400 of us are waiting. We also know that Logitech is offering the new revision of non-defective Z-5500d units in its online store but claims that it can't divert those units to customers because the online store is not run by Logitech. Logitech is also offering refunds for customers who are waiting, although some have reported difficulties with that process as well.

There's a thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1027718099

And Logitech's speaker forum has some updates from customers as well: http://forums.logitech.com/pe/action/forums/defaultview?msgBoardID=10100204

2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc New Member

You said something about "non defective" Z-5500's. Whats wrong with the original ones ? I got my Z-500's in April and I don't think there is anything wrong with them. A lot of people complained about hiss from the sub and/or speakers but its not noticeble unless you put your ear right next to the speaker. So whats wrong with 'em?

3. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

doc,

I believe the most common problem is with the control pod. Mine had a chip fry while it was in standby mode one night, for no apparent reason. I've heard a lot of other people say it was their control pod as well.

Do you have the original Z-5500's with the hard-wired speaker wires with RCA connectors on the end, or do you have the Z-5500d's, which have bare-wire pinch terminals on both the speakers and the subwoofer/amplifier? It's speculated that the Z-5500d's are the new revision that does not have the control pod defect, so if you have those then you're probably safe.

Don't know anything about a hissing problem, but I only had mine for about a month before they died (and I've been waiting over twice that long now to get replacements)

4. sovietdoc

sovietdoc New Member

I guess I am lucky because the ones I have have the bare wire on the ends. Wow, all you peaople are waiting for a extremely long period of time. I hope you guys get your stuff back soon, but I dobt after 3 months of waiting Logitech will just play nice and ,bam, give out the replacements they owed. But unfortunately, there is nothing you guys can do besides calling Logitech and waiting so good luck in that.