hypothetically .....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by FuNsTeR, Jan 27, 2012.

1. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

... if you could go into your past and change it ...... what would you change and why ... for me i would go back to when i was 9 just to see my friend one last time before he died ... the day before his tenth birthday ... i had the flu the day he died and i would have been with him if i hadn't had the flu and maybe he wouldn't have died had i been their ... when i say he was the brightest and most intelligent young boy you could meet i mean it

btw he was killed in a car accident in august the 18th 1979 ... the driver tried to avoid him and he was blameless

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I'd go back to 1965 and borrow a tenner from Bill Gates and wait to see if he asks for it back in 2000.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would talk to myself when I was...say 8 and give him/me a few hints about life. (since I didn't have anyone to do so)

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've contemplated this several times over the years and nothing stops me about thinking about what could change and how it would ripple through to the present and into the future.

I've also thought about how the ability to even go back would ripple through further into the past as well.....

I don't have a simple answer to this type of question. I think fundamentally, even in the case that any one of us can "travel" in time space than our current space time..... that we still wouldn't be changing anything, the result still will always occur in that parallel "universe" you just came from.... but our presents in the new one may make a difference that was intended to be. Would i save someone, change something about my past life, make suggestions for wealth/money/power.

I'd like to... the former out of just very much feeling good about accomplishing something for someone else's benefit at perhaps the cost of my own.

But there is the whole paradox issue..... would i be happy knowing that i've totally changed a very minute detail in my past self's life resulting in a completely different me later on. One which may have potentially worse..... values... the only thing i would be concerned about...... nothing would be more destructive than to have created the worst possible you due to a simple little change.

I think we are mostly a product of our environment and sometimes harsh reality we see provided we are willing to look past our own selfishness that i personally believe have been taught to us at a young age.

Would I? Quite possibly not.

Provided with a reset button to change my decision to go back and change my past self..... then yes out of pure curiosity and for the sake of exploration.

Would i save my mother from an incident that even today has ever lasting effects? Good chance that i may start there... Would i confront myself about any specific topics that i know i was either unsure/confused about and know much more now? Good chance of that too.

Really how many specific points in time would i feel the wish to subtly change... try and make the least but most impact with smooth results.... The complexity of the question is almost unfathomable. For every second the passes just adds another second to the timeline of what changes could be made...

In the end, even with those changes made, it won't be me as i am now, it'll be another version of me, for bad or good... I could say i "molded" that person.. but he isn't me.

As for someone that has passed away, that i would like to see again... i wouldn't just for that... because even if there body is gone in the present..... dead and unmoving, and even though i don't beleive in "god" as most others would.... i really do think there is a damn good chance that there existance isn't gone, can't be destroyed... changed.... does this mean a higher plane of excistance.... maybe... can we prove that..... not likely..... does that mean reincarnation..... sure possibility remains.. can it be proven... somewhat hard.

Would i cry if my father passed away tonight... no i don't think so, not because he wouldn't want that, but because i'd only know that the flesh and bone of him simply doesn't seem to carry the real "him" anymore and is merely an empty biological shell/machine left to return to the earth as a combination of elements turned to dust/gas/liquids.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This ability would give me a moral responsibility I could barely bear. With my newfound ability to predict the future, and thus become incredibly rich through betting, I could donate billions to good causes. And expending effort on anything else would just seem wrong.

That said, I'd really like to have rolled feral druid tank straight off in WoW, rather than playing fire mage until wotlk, then switching.

6. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

I would also advise my past self of the future so the future me could become rich off of betting.

7. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I'd probably go back to when i was still in school, back when i was maybe 9/10 years old and get more involved in sports, It'd save me a hell of a lot of hassle when i got older

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I would likely have taken that college sports scholarship that was offered to me at high school graduation. It's the only thing I look back on with a bit of uncertainty if I did the right thing.

9. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

nothing
    seriously

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm very happy for you :p

11. Nya`

Nya` Back From The Dead

If the ability to go back was possible I would not change anything, it would have a disastrous butterfly effect that would change the world. People think that they are insignificant on this planet but in all reality none of us are.

Me deciding to go into a Subway and order food versus just driving by would ripple the future irreparably. My simple interaction with the people inside would change what happened to them, the people they interact with, the people those people interact with in a never ending chain which eventually would circle the globe.

Effectively every single interaction you have with others in society is changing their fate and the fate of everyone else, who is born, how long they live, where and how they die etc. It's far too dangerous and not worth the consequences of what would happen.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Yes, so someone might never be born because of your actions. But equally, some else might be that otherwise would not have been.

Why assume that going back and doing things differently would change the world for the disasterous worse? You might do the opposite, you might even prevent disaster.

Remember also that this isn't time travel we're talking about but an alternative path - the killing your grandfather effect doesn't make sense.

13. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Humm i would probably change careers :p engineering is just too damn demanding lol :D