I am super dumb.

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by blix9, Mar 16, 2003.

1. blix9

blix9 New Member

Hello, folks.

Is there differnet special way of thought process to be a very good programmer? Is it just practice? I'm sure most will just say 'practice and more practice'.

I am a student in a computer science major. I started taking the first programming classes this semsester. Now it's spring break. The reason I am writing is just that I am very depressed about the class not going very well. We had an exam right before spring break(2nd in this semester) and I screwed up big time unlike the 1st one. The first one was almost like a give-away. Is C++ supposed to be that hard? I mean I have studied and turned in most of homeworks so far but this 2nd exam made me reconsider my major. The exam was about loops, strings, and fstream. I'm sure these are all basic stuff. After introduction of the loop, I am totaly confused and don't have a clue about what goes where anymore. I mean I can see how it works but when multiple loops are combined with strings and streams stuff it really hurts my head.
    It takes me just too long to figure out. :mad:

The exam problems were well worth several hours of planning to me just to figure out how to do it. I was to figure them out within an hour and I only completed half of it. I am not even sure whether I did a good job on them. what makes me really go crazy is that others seems to do well without much difficulties. Quite a few students finished it almost half an hour earlier. I stared at them as if they are some kind of freaks. I heard a few people saying that programming is not for everyone. Maybe this is not for me... I don't know. I hope it is. I thought it was. I thought I was doing well.
    I heard that the 2nd semester of this C++ class supposed to be harder. Somehow, I feel no matter how hard I try and 'practice' I won't success in this major.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant or whatever.
    Having gone numb in front of the test problems, I feel wothless. Spring break is giving me no pleasure.:sigh:

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I tried c+ it sucked It's hard to get down :mad:....(I gave up!) but keep trying ... I plan to take another shot at it later... made some cool stuff trying tho... You think it hard with clases try firguring it out on your own like I am it's very hard but thats just me...........

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Not everone can be a programmer, regardless of how hard they try. FWIW, I went into a final exam on writing Pascal an hour late and a bit drunk (was chatting up a girl at the pub ;) ) an I left after 30 minutes or so. First one to leave, only one with a Distinction pass mark. But then I've been programming since the age of 5.

When I started my current job, there were 3 other developers. Now there's only one - me. I can work 4 times faster than they could and produce better work. As such I'm payed very nicely and get loads of perks like flexi-time.

Programming is as much of a gift as it is a skill - I didn't have any programming certifications then and still don't. The other 3 developers were MSCE qualified.

C++ can be a very hard language to teach the novice programmer. Java would be a much better starting block IMHO.

4. Oblivious

Oblivious DivrerHaeven Seinor Mebmer

Lolz, yeah C++ is not that hard, it's just tedious. BTW, don't be surprised if during your 2nd-3rd semester you grow fangs and start to shun sunlight -- that's normal. And always do what the engineers do -- study with a friend, it makes things so much simpler.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

where they just as modest ? :lol: ;)

6. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

HEH, programming code has always looked like gibbersih to me. Even visual basic makes no sense to me. Well, very little sense anyway.

People that can program ANYTHING at all deserve alot of respect, as far as I'm concerned.

7. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I can program my VCR :D

8. UberLord

The modest ones are no good :p

9. blix9

blix9 New Member

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

My younger brother of 4 years is a C+, C++ programmer and makes damn good money- The funny thing is, he doesn't know jack about computers, he calls me up all the time asking questions about his computer and has freinds at work that want me to build them PC's. I used to think all programmers must be geeks, I guess that's just not the case.

I used to program basic to make games on my old tandy and save them on a tape recorder when I was 13.
    if, then, if, then, if, then, goto, stop- drives ya nuts.

11. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

:lol:

12. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Why don't you post some code that you are having trouble understanding? Perhaps one of us can explain it better.

13. caqde

caqde Active Member

I just started taking classes and learning C++ in school. Well maybe I should say relearning C++ in school. But I don't like the way they teach. Lecture, program, Lecture, Lecture, Program. Snore. I don't know about the thought process but I think it could help alot. Although this stuff seems to come natural to me. I just need to learn more commands.

I must say I didn't like it when my class taught file in out commands and cout.xx commands before the class command. Would make things simplier.

main()
    {
    for (x = 0; x >= 0; x++)
    {
    learncommands();
    }
    return 0;
    }

14. UberLord

The return statement would never be executed, so why include it?

15. caqde

caqde Active Member

I felt like including it. :D

And it is just a habit.

16. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

From what I hear, Windows expects a return value of 0 if the program executed successfully. (Not console apps, just certain Windows apps), also some older compilers require you to return 0 from the main function, even though it is not a part of the ANSI specs.

17. Andrew275

Andrew275 Custom User Title

Technically you should do it for console apps, DOS apps, everything. I've also heard that main() is a special case, and even though it is specified as int, you can just use:

return;

And it will return 0 by default.

18. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Can't you also just do "void main()" and be more or less rid of the whole problem?

19. Andrew275

Andrew275 Custom User Title

No, because main() is supposed to return an int.

20. caqde

caqde Active Member

Wow a discussion over a small piece of code I wrote for fun.

I believe you can't do void main() because the OS is calling the int main() of that program.

The code for windows calling int main() would probably look something like this.

if ProgramCrashYes(main())
    {
    breakwindows(randombreak());
    }
    else
    {
    if createcrash()
    {
    breakwindows(randombreak());
    }
    }