I Can't Figure This Out

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by drwho, Nov 11, 2007.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

I've got something which is very very confusing to me. I've been burning some movies to DVD which play perfectly on my computer, but when I try to play them on the DVD Player hooked up to my stero system in the other room it won't play correctly. Anybody had this problem before?

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

what disc format you are using when you burn the DVD? And what software you are using?

3. SeanUK

SeanUK New Member

I have had similar problems with NeroVision in the past, the video was not in sync properly with the audio. If i remember correctly i solved my own problems by switching codec packs.
    I had the KLR codec pack installed, & swapped it for the Cole2k codec pack.
    I think i also changed the encoding mode from performance to quality.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well to playback DVD's in PC you need MPEG2 codec installed in XP in Vista there is one installed.

Yeah it would be good to know what software you are using to encode the DVD's. I personally use Sony's DVD Architect since it can make the DVD image in ISO format so you just burn the iso file to DVD and that's it. :)

5. drwho

drwho Active Member

I've been using two kinds of software to burn the files of the movie to my hard drive and then have been using DVDShrink to burn the files onto a 4.7 disk. I've been using Ulead DVD Moviefactory 6.0 and NeroVision 5.0. Up until say a week ago everything was fine and then this problem has cropped up. How does one check on the codec pack that is being used?

6. SeanUK

SeanUK New Member

CCCP Insurgent. You can find it HERE. The first box on the left should let you know the name of any codec packs installed. Then just remove it via add/remove programs. Then just try out others to see if it fixes your problem.. Common codec packs are CCCP, Cole2k & KLR, though through past experience i have had problems with the KLR pack.
    Good Luck

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Those programs don't use 3rd party codec's they have their own MPEG2 codec that they use. So codec packs won't help. Can you tell us what kind of issues you have ?? Is the video stream having some slowdowns ?? And those issues you see only when you are using DVD-Player?

[EDIT] What DVD-Player you have ??

8. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

Guy im pretty sure all is well on the PC playback end, drwho just wants to know why they wont play on his DVD player hooked to his TV.

also as a side note, maybe yer burner is getting flakey and u need to burn the movies at a lower speed, i usually bur DVDs at 8x or 12x. DVDs previously worked using the same process you are using now, correct? Did u change the media you use? Maybe the DVD player needs the lens cleaned?

9. drwho

drwho Active Member

The DVD player I have here at the house is made by RCA (model DCR310). Everything I've burn ed before works fine but anything in the the last week or so comes up with sub captions and has a habit of going to a certain point of the video playback runs for alittle bit and then repeats from the same point.

Thanks for your suggestion, SeanUK. I will check it out,

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah sounds like the lens or something needs to be cleaned. What brand of DVD media you are using? plus or minus? and what burner you have? is it's frimewire updated?

btw. I'm 100% sure that it isn't codec issue.

11. drwho

drwho Active Member

I'm using the Memorex brand of dvd disks (-R). I have two Plextor DVD burners on my computer, one EIDE (PX-760A) and one SATA (PX-810SA). I've updated the firmware on the 760A, but I have seen no firmware updates for the 810SA as of yet. Also, your right about the it not being a codec problem, I tried loading a set of codecs (Cole2K) and it did not help any.

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Since you got Nero try to use it to burn the DVD-Video's.

13. drwho

drwho Active Member

I have tried using Nero to burn some of my disks and I get the same result.

14. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hmm... any those disc that won't play on your DVD-Player plays fine on your PC?? If they do the problem is in the player...

15. drwho

drwho Active Member

I don't think the problem lies with my DVD player because all store bought DVD movies and movies I previously made before my problems started still work perfectly. I still think something on my computer has changed, just don't know what. :(

16. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

btw. these problems did they start when you moved to Vista?? as far as I know some older software might have some issues with it. this is a bit far fetched but still probable cause...

17. drwho

drwho Active Member

No I've had Vista since it was released back in late January. A couple of weeks ago I was fooling around with utorrent trying to help my daughter with a school project (my daughter is in college) when I made the mistake of playing with it myself. At some point while playing with the movies I lost the ability after burning them to a disk to make them play on my dvd player hooked up to my stero system in the family room. I really wish I had left that stuff alone. I use DVDShrink all most exclusively so I can get them to fit on a regular 4.7 -R disk. Now while the movies I burn play beautifully on my computer, they will not play on any dvd player I try.

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hmm... there might been some changes in the encoding bit rates (mainly video) and that's why you get problems...

19. drwho

drwho Active Member

Is there any way I can restore the settings back to what they where, so I can get back to normal?

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I'm not so familiar of those software you use to encode DVD's but you might look up the preferences there and check the bitrates of the video.