I expected lower than average but THIS?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by funbill, Jul 5, 2003.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

the system youve just displyed in future mark is identical to mine my futuremark down to every detail?

2. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

huh? do I beat a P4 2.5ghz + GF4ti4600??

thats... wierd :p

you must have been doin somethen wrong, or maybe the difference between an athlon and a P4 is that high, but I did never beat a GF4ti4600 =/

somethen is really strange with that hmmm

and no, I dont make the details down, just as they get installed, as we all know that a default benchmark is better to compare our PCs, but ur case is just ridicoulus, I had a friend that with a Athlon t-bird 1.2ghz and a GF4ti4200 scored 8100marks and no overclock at all

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

How many icons do you have in the taskbar - down by the speaker (volume control)?

Most Dells that I have the unfortunate luck to work on seem to be loaded to the hilt with icons down there- My girlfriend's mothers's Dell had about 25 programs running in the background and couldn't figure out why AOL was running slow.:duh: No wonder why so many people hate "computers" - when the run like that.

4. funbill

funbill New Member

Yeah, there are TONS of icons, also CTRL ALT DLT shows tons of useless things in background. I close them for benching, but it gets a little annonying trying to close backgroud programs End tasking so much, any way to disable them more permanently?

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Why yes there is!

Go to run/ type "msconfig" without quotes.

go to start tab,

go through and uncheck all the programs you have no need for. Always keep stimon (still image monitor-- for cameras/scanners..etc..)

and your norton..macaffee etc.....

reboot- no mre junk,, enjoy!

Also download and install adaware 6.0 an spybot --- update them from within the program- run them weekly if not more. (I run both)

Defrag, scan disk-- Uninstall old programs, turn off sreensaver, etc..etc..etc.....

6. MIG-31

i'm let down by a poor m/b in my opinion. would u have a old m/b aswell see in you benchie it's set at 2x agp might make a difference set to 4x in your bios if possible.

7. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

er.......one more noob here.....what's adaware 6.0 'bout??? and where can i download them (spybot too)??

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

9. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

thankz...........what's the difference between spy bot and adaware???

10. MIG-31

maxxypoos

just to add be a little cautious using adaware 6 i have had to reinstall windows twice before becaose of deleting the wrong file from that utill.just be a little carefull.

but generally the program is fine.

11. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

you mean when uninstalling the program???? (anyway, how's your new card going on?? good?? i see that you have the 256MB version.....:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: )

12. MIG-31

nope. running in the program as in files that should not be there in what it finds,deletes it taken a couple of registry files with it.left me with very very slow and unresponsive boot-ups and opperation of xp.

just giving a small warning,could be a coincedence that it happened after adaware ran.don't worry too much about it though most runs i have made after were fine.

the card is reasonably good considering as i replied in the other post didn't cost me a penny thanxs.the card can be found at pcworld instore only at the moment can't find on the website. aopen fx5600 256mb £143.99.to me it's fairly good value/perfomance.

13. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

do you mind if i ask why's that it didnt cost you a penny?? and what your benchmarks like now???

14. MIG-31

not at all maxxypoos.

it's not mine it's a mate of mine i'm trying out the card due to he mistaken his motherboard were 4x but he's only got a relativly old m/b agp 1 hence no use on his pc and has lost his receipt and can't exchange without it,what a bummer for him and definatly not for me it's under consideration of a purchase from him considerably cheaper that he paid for.

due to fx's needing agp 2.0 min, i could be the owner of card soon.

my benchies are similer to the ti4600 average around 10,000-11,000 a ilttle dissapointing,but i still think it's my m/b that let the scores down. can't change m/b due to still under warranty by the shop with extended warraty for a further 3 years,if i installed a new m/b it would void the warranty and cost me more in the long run.it only covers parts that came with the system in the first place and were adviced by store if i changed m/b it could cause more problems.

due to i havn't got a genuine windows xp disk,mine are shitty system restore disks that were created for my system whe first booted up.meaning that it only contains the correct drivers ie chipset etc when reinstalling xp.they can not be used on other systems unles identical to mine.

which to change m/b i would need a full xp disk and at £270 a os disk it would probably be too expensive and sheaper to buy a complete new system.

do you follow the point of the problem maxxy.

15. MIG-31

ps

the m/b only takes 266ddr which could be a slight drawback on scores aswell.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Wow, I've really never heard that about Adaware, I'm sure things like that can happen, but I've ben running it for years and it never messed anything up (that I know of)- who knows- maybe it did, and I didn't know about it! But yes, always you should be carefull with programs that delete files. But getting that spyware off your system is a good thing,.

17. MIG-31

most definatly getting rid of spyware etc is worth doing so.

as for adaware it only done so twice out of countless times of using.coincedentely happend so who knows.

18. funbill

funbill New Member

I think 9k may be my highest possible score. If you look at benchies, mine is 2nd highest in processor speed and ME, so I guess ME really messes it up too. Im not sure about quality of Dell mobo either, might be slowing down too. If theres any other thing, I doubt itll raise score by much but worth a try.

19. MIG-31

but mine sometimes drops to around 9500ish on occaision which is why benchies don't bother me much at all.i have never had a identicall score at all.

20. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

yup, an old bad poor thing :p Im surprised it even let me run AGP 2x ^^ and also like that sometimes it crash my pc, if I put 4x it will happen after almost 5 mins after runnin any game ^^

ohh well, now Im proud of my score :)

here my last one: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6775370

in XP it isnt so good, I lost 400points, ohh well, I guess I need more ram or somethen ^^