I hate people sometimes...

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Liqourice, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Judas does have the narrow view of things, but that is Canadian Justice..ROFL

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Your first question is easily answered.... protection of property from intended distruction.

The 2nd question is out of place unless you're suggesting that you stand watch over it with the intent to shoot potential vandals....

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Oh no no no no no, by no means no, I do not mean that at all. It's just that if it's more expensive then it'll be more expensive to repair and your premiums will go up more. But of course if you drive a Porsche or Ferrari you can afford taking care of it.

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It seems to me that this is what you're suggesting someone should do instead of parking it somewhere safe in the first place.

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I see your point but all things are relative. This thing couldn't have happened at a worse time for me just after quitting my job and having to save my pennies until I find a new one. I just can't afford to repair it right now so it sucks majorly.

6. Calliers

I am sorry for you, hopefully you can get it repaired as soon as possible. Nothing like driving with a busted side mirror.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I predict future incidents of this sort of thing.

8. Liqourice

I'm not even sure it's legal to drive without it.

However, I'm starting to think it's not just vandalism. Where was the scrap? Someone just smashing it wouldn't bother to clear away the glass and plastic from the floor.

I also happened to notice a suspect mark on the car next to mine at the right height and the right colour. Since it's a car with the spare tyre on the back it would explain why there isn't any more damage on my car if this is the case.

So, I took some pictures and a bit of film when I took some measures and such and I'm gonna revise my report to the police and see if they will investigate or not. Most likely they won't give a shit but I have to try.

9. Calliers

If they catch the perps that did that to your car you should have them prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Assuming you can prove it. Where I live we have two sets of cameras that cover the garage and the street up an down, and it has proven useful in the past.

11. Judas

no, but electrifying the car would be tandy....

12. Liqourice

If they bother with it they can probably scrape some of the paint off the other car and compare it with the paint on my car. If it's a match then there isn't much of a doubt. The key here is if the cops will even bother doing it.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Usually the cops wouldn't get involved with something like that... At least not here in the states.

14. Liqourice

That depends a bit on where. When I lived up north they really didn't have that much to do so they came for the smallest thing you called in...

15. Calliers

LOL! Bored cops. :rofl:

16. Liqourice

Yeah, they didn't really have to overwork themselves. :D

There were 4 of them and they covered about a 12th of the entire country but considering that the population in that region is only about 25-30000 not really that much did happen. In the winter they mainly chased snow mobiles that weren't quite legal and in the summer it was the tuned mopeds. :p

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I volunteer along with many retired police locally and meet at a sub station on the wealthy part of town.
    I was given a tour of the surveillance systems in place in the newer areas and if one wished to sit and observe, could see everyone going back and forth at all the major shopping centers nearby.
    The trick is observing it all day long, as none of the information is recorded for any particuler reason.
    We have the nanny cams at schools now to catch armed gunmen, etc.
    I mean if we put cameras everywhere at corners and intersections that may aid authorities attempting to identify hoodlums and malcontents.
    I mean we are going to a Nanny society anyway, why not put cams in high crime areas where mayhem is common.

18. Liqourice

New mirror in place. Got a good deal on a used one in perfect condition and then a friend in the Alfa Club painted it and only charged what the material costs.

So, I ended up paying about 1/3 of what it would have cost me had I bought a new mirror and had it painted by a pro that charged full price.

Still more than I can really afford but I needed to have this fixed since I will need my car to get to work, if I get that job that is. The driver side mirror is the only one that has to be there. Had it been the other side I could have left it broken for a while.

19. Judas

For stuff like that usually we can get damn good prices on some things due to what we have here as SGI.... SGI Salvage..... totalled vehicles end up in SGI Salvage (SGI btw is a government ran registration and insurance agency that deals with apprasals and assessments, end up in a wreck and they tally things up and determine if it's still safe to drive or totalled.... then it goes to their scrap heap where they generally try to part it out if anything can be salvaged)

Typically they have a massive stock ... allowing lets say a car that was it's entire front end ripped off to still have good seats or interior components and rear assembly.. fuel tank etc.... Pick them up for dirt cheap as a good replacement.

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Glad you got it fixed and good luck getting the job.