I hate people sometimes...

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Liqourice, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

That's how the insurance companies do it here. They won't accept the price of a new part if there is a used one avaliable from one of the salvage companies.

Downside is that most of those companies charge half the price of a new one no matter what condition it's in. Thugh, this time I managed to fix it for half of what the deductable on my insurance would have been so I never got the insurance involved.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Yeah.... some of these salvage bastards love to make a pretty penny..

I'm sure that's why they initially totalled my car because even though all that was broken was the hood of my car and the headlights.. the rest of it is in such immaculate shape and conditions... they could have likely doubled their what they would have had to pay me out for.

Lucky for them... i didn't agree on the value they placed on the vehicle... and fired off all the receipts and parts replacements and maintence done on the car over a period of 5 years to which even if they paid me out for only 50% of the total worth of the 5 years of receipts... they'd have to triple what they initially going to pay me. So instead.. they fixed it up.

3. theironman

theironman Banned

Car is important but is waste of monea y :(. It is a property that loses value every year, you buy a car for an expensive price and after some years you cant have half of what you paid. I am saving money to buy a car but sometims I think about using this money in something else.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Never going to buy a brand new car... that's a total waste as it loses 50% of the value the moment it turns over 1km/1mile on the odometer when you drive it off the lot.

The only cars that increase in value are oldies and unique ones... but then again driving it just rips it apart in the end.

5. theironman

theironman Banned

Yes... it is a piece of sh... this. I was thinking in travelling to some another country with the money I am saving, maybe Argentina or Chile.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

A car is rarely a good investment, in most cases it's a bad one really. It's a matter of choise though. With my previous job I didn't need one, I had 15 minutes walk to work, and living in a larger city with good public transport a car is really only a luxury item.

It does give an extra freedom though, one that it's not quite possible to put a value on. The expenses I get by having a car is worth it to me, I can go where I want whenever I want. I don't have to mess with booking tickets for planes, trains or buses, I don't have to plan everything i detail, I can just go when I please.

I've said to myself that at least once in my life I want to buy a brand new car. I know I'll lose a lot more money like that but just that feeling knowing that noone else have owned it before me and having that security of knowing that if something goes wrong with it there is warranty and all that to take care of it. Just that small comfort of driving it to the shop and not worrying about it, free service and all that comes with a new modern car.

7. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

with that reasoning you'd better buy nothing at all. Everything you buy losing its value. New cars are atrocious, but that is why you buy secondhand.. A good secondhand car loses almost none of its value, if you shop around...

8. theironman3

theironman3 Banned

lol yes I was thinking about that option too, buy nothing all. It is better I keep my bike and spend the money travelling. lol