I need a good lightweight image viewer. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Crystallization, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

I've been testing out a couple of them like FastStone Image Viewer/Max Viewer and XnView but they all seem to have problems with displaying high res images in the range of 3000x3000 and above.

When I view an image using good ol Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, everything seems to work fine and it's good at rescaling a high res image from it's original size to fit my desktop with minimal distortion. But that program is way too limited.

Anyway, please recommend me a lightweight (e.g. doesn't need to have a batch converter or thumbnail display) image viewer that has simple features like the ability to magnify to actual size with the click of a mouse button and can hide pretty much all UI elements not related to the image itself (Maybe even the windows borders as well).

Thanks.

2. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

3. Crystallization

Hi. I tried IrfanView but it's a bit annoying to use. It starts fast and it has good resampling for viewing large images fit to my desktop but I hate the fact that something as simple as magnifying and scrolling can't be done with the mouse. I have to use hotkeys and scroll bars. Being a FastStone users, you probably already know how much easier it is to use the mouse to this.

Also, even though it can hide most of the menus when in window view, it never remembers the settings to hide them for the next time the program is opened, so I always have to keep resetting them.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

As for the settings not sticking, I had the same problem with XnView and the trick was to start the program as administrator, so I'd try the same thing. Sounds pretty annoying, but you'd only need to do it once or twice to adjust the application to your taste. :)

5. Crystallization

Well, I think that I'll avoid it because of the first reasons I gave about the lack of simple mouse controls. I'll be dealing with a lot of images and I just don't want the hassle.

Basically the two main things that I'm looking for is (1) an image viewer that can magnify the entire screen to a 1:1 ratio and pan using only the right-click button and (2) has really good rescaling so that the image looks clean even when not magnified.

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

After ages of using an old version of ACDSee I've fallen in love with FastPictureViewer. While I miss the integrated file managing of most other picture viewers(files list) I'm blown away by the performance of FPV, nothing comes close when you're browsing through a number of large images. Try it out. FastPictureViewer Professional | A Fast 64 bit Raw Image Viewer for Windows 7, Vista & XP.

After a demo period it enters a simplified free mode but still handles JPG images just as well. Some day I'll buy it for its other features.

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

8. Efor

Efor New Member

I'm guessing this threads still alive, as i'm looking for what the original op was/is . Been using FastStone MaxView , but finding it a tad limited these days. So any suggestions appreciated . Cheers

9. jaimin

jaimin New Member

Well, Irfanview is the best lightweight image viewer and i always suggest it to all of my friends.

10. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I haven't done much viewing pics in a long time but I used to use a program called Futuris. It was on ver 5.5 when I stopped using it. Not sure if this will help out at all but worth a shot. It was free at the time and there wasn't any bloatware that came with it so I don't know if that's changed at all. Just a heads up, that's all.

A site to check out that offers both freeware and shareware is called Snapfiles.com. They promote indy programs and offer reviews for each program. Everything is tested for spyware/malware/viruses and removed if found. I've downloaded a number of networking tools, benchmarks, audio utils and everything seems to be clean. I even found a free screen saver app for my mom that took her pictures and turned them into a screen saver slide show for what she wanted for free. The sites got tons of things for almost everything you've ever wanted. Diff worth checking it out. You may find exactly what you're looking for... or not... but it's still worth checking out.

11. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

:confused:

IrfanView does all that.

The only thing I couldn't get to work is wheel button tilt autoscroll function of Wireless Mouse 5000 configured in Intellimouse. But right-click drag works wonderful.

Magnify function? Left click and draw a box and then left click inside the box and the box is expanded to the dimensions of the screen.

12. DigiJedi

DigiJedi Member

Try xnview