I Need Help Choosing an Ultra-Zoom Camera

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IvanV, Mar 16, 2013.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Guys, I need your help! I can have each of the following cameras for 120-140 euros and I can't make up my mind.

First is the Olympus 720uz. My main concern is that it doesn't have the full manual mode. On the other hand, I'm not that good a photographer, so as long as the camera exposes images well and knows what to focus, I'm fine with pointing and shooting. Where cameras usually fail is making the main object too dark in strong sunlight and trying to make night shots as bright as the day ones. Another concern is low light performance, but the camera seems to do well enough for me there, at ISO3200 and 24* zoom, the picture was noisy, but fairly small his of text were still all there in my test shot.

The other cameras all have manual modes and presumably belong to a slightly higher segment, but are somewhat older tech, so I don't know how well they compare. These are Nikon P100 and Panasonic Lumix FZ100.

All replies are welcome!

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

if your looking for a pocket camera there are so many it boggles the mind IMO. I am posting a link that you have probably seen already, but useful.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-ultra-zoom-bridge-digital-cameras-16928

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/ultrazoom-cameras

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/10/Olympus_SP-620UZ

These are but a few of course. I would post my opinions but I am sure Judas will troll this thread and post something off the subject and step on it.

Hope this helps.

IvanV likes this.
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I haven't had much experience in the way of ultrazooms but when I was looking around for cameras I found that photographyblog was key for making my decision. It wasn't so much the reviews themselves as the example pictures they gave for picture quality, purple fringing, ISO noise, etc. I was able to do comparisons myself then.

Olympus SP 720uz
    Nikon P100
    Lumix fz100

IvanV likes this.
  4. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

I took a quick look at the specs...
    I wouldn't consider the Nikon P100.

The Lumix is the only one that supports RAW (if you need to process jpg's or .png's later according to your needs, for eg. in Lightroom), but major drawback is the ISO sensitivity - up to 1600 (if you need quality night images in dark *without* using flash).

The Olympus is the opposite, it has good ISO sensitivity - up to 6400, but lacks RAW support. It is also newer, as you already said. :)

The sensor size (always important spec to consider) is the same in both, 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm).

So, I would choose from those according to needs.. ;)
    Cheers..

EDIT: didn't read the OPs post thoroughly, he is obviously familiar with the specs, and was asking for opinion... :D
    My personal opinion is the Lumix, because of the RAW support. ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    IvanV likes this.
  5. IvanV

Thanks, guys! I was leaning towards the Lumix as well, so I that will be the one. :) The problem with comparing the sample photos was that I only had my cell phone for that. Still, I did take a look and I liked what I saw. ISO 1600 will do, especially since I'm fairly happy with what the camera does at that setting. I haven't worked with RAW before, but it's an interesting option.

Rep is coming when I get behind a normal browser. :)

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

As I've had an Konica Minolta Z2 Before I have to give this input. I know it's not comparable since it only had 10x zoom but modern ultrazooms will still have the same type of limitations.

It was good for it's time and good at what it did, but it was also limiting. After owning that type of camera I just know that my next one will be a digital system camera.

Why? Because it's basically the same size but with tonnes of more options. You're gonna keep it in a bag anyway, the ultrazoom is to big to have in a pocket, and with a bag you can get one that a wee bit bigger and you'll fit an extra lens or two as well.

It's more expensive initially but since you open up so many more possibilities it will be a camera that lasts a lot longer than an ultrazoom will. In a few years you will want to get a new one again, if you get a system camera now you won't need to, just get a new lens that fits your needs.

Though, if your budget is tight I'm sure it's a good alternative but you will experience it's limitations after a while. I know I did.

7. Hetono

Hetono New Member

Consider Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, better ISO than FZ100, gold award from dpreview, price is a little higher in Amazon than FZ100. but in general not the best ISO camera.

8. Tribble

Tribble New Member

I see this thread is old but in the event you haven't bought one - I have an Olympus and I absolutely love the photos it takes - especially the macro photos. This ohoto below was taken with it. Just while waiting for the sports to begin. So it was spur of the moment. I love it.
    [​IMG]

9. IvanV

Thanks for the tip.

I owe you guys the ending to this story. I was set on the Lumix FZ100, so I went back to where I saw it (a huge tech store, 6 or seven floors of anything you can think of), asked for it and got a very puzzled reaction from the salesman: "FZ100? That's an old model, we don't have it anymore. We have FZ200, here, I'll bring it, we've got a very good price on it!" Well, the price was 400€, which was good as it's $600 on Panasonic's web store and almost 700€ here locally, but it was way over my budget, so I asked him about the FZ100 that I saw in the display-case. I got an even more puzzled look from him and when I showed him where, it was my turn to be surprised as he said: "Oh! I don't sell those, those are second hand!" I didn't expect that, everything else in the store was obviously new (the latest tablets, Apple stuff, all-in-ones, dual screen ultrabooks the likes of which I haven't seen before...). like I said, 6 floors, each themed, and crammed, with different kinds of kit). Since it was my last day there, it meant that I'd get no warranty whatsoever if I bought that camera. I felt pretty disappointed, so in the end I haven't bought anything and for now, a new camera is on hold.

Thanks again to everyone who replied, I'm sorry it came to nothing in the end.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  10. Jaswinder

Jaswinder New Member

Try Fujifilm FinePix F800EXR

Easy to use, with many variable functions.
    Bad Points−
    Lack of good instruction booklet. I appreciate that owners are given a disc but information stored in a computer is not ideal when one is away from home.

IvanV likes this.
  11. IvanV

The feature set on that model is astonishing for a compact (manual controls, 25mm-500mm focal range, FullHD video, RAW...). I'm no longer actively looking for a new camera for the time being, but if I can find it anywhere locally, I'll definitely look into it more. :)