I wish my parents were like this

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by -={420}=-, Nov 15, 2002.

1. fornicatarachnid

fornicatarachnid Clanless

Re: A---FREAKING---MEN to that!

.....and you think that after smoking weed you remain fully functional ?? I just don't understand how you can say this. The main reason I decided to kick it years ago was the fact that I realised that I wasn't fully functional and that I could be putting my kids at risk. :(

2. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

I agree completely with that. Most of those people are forced to go to rehab not want to go there.

3. Dane Sabbath

Dane Sabbath ***** Viking

All debate, questions, answers, and the whole lot of it is bunk.

No one. NO ONE. On this planet has the right to tell me 'This plant is bad. You may not have this plant.'

Not the Individual, not the State, not the Church.

The EARTH made that plant. The religious would say GOD.

I have NEVER agreed in my life to commit myself to a society that attempts to control my communion with our VERY PLANET. I never will, and I believe that we have inalienable rights to all things natural. Including our lives. YOU are the only person who was born to control YOU. Don't let others make you a sheep, you will fall prey to their wolves...

PS

In old Russia coffee was banned as a drug. Punishment was being drawn and quartered. Not a bad reaction to a bean....

Alcohol has absurd amounts of data proving it's 'worth' to society.

Nicotine, caffeine, many pharmaceuticals, and many other drugs that are PRODUCED, not GROWN, are allowed by your governments. HUGE numbers of natural plants are restricted or banned for the same properties that makes them valuable to pharmaceutical companies.

Do the math people. Take control of your own lives again. Before you need a revolution to do it...

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Re: Re: A---FREAKING---MEN to that!

Maybe I am deluding myself, but I like to think that after a couple of decades I know pretty well how it affects me and how it effects my functionality. Every time you make an accusation like that I keep thinking you have a mental picture of a unkept, smelly hippy-type sitting around and smoking a 4' graphics or something and that just is NOT the case.

Pot doesn't turn me into a raving lunatic, it just relaxes me. The worst I can say is I tend to turn a bit apathetic, but that's why I don't do much/often and only late night when everyone sleeps. ;)

I'd like to think that there actually are people who are responsible enough to manage their own partying, either that or everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. :rolleyes:

5. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Javafox, I agree with you 100%.

I had a friend with a 137 IQ turn into a stupid idiot that didn't know what's what because of marijuana. And he claimed to be "responsible." :bleh:

You do know that once a braincell dies or is damaged, the damage is permanent and the body won't be creating any more, don't you?? :bleh:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  6. Highwood

Highwood Comfortably Numb

Re: Re: Re: A---FREAKING---MEN to that!

I agree with Dig, I mostly use pot later at night when the kids are in bed and all my responsibilities and obligations have been met for the day. I find if I smoke a joint about 2 hours before bed it helps me to shed some of the stress built up during the day, and to get a better nights sleep.

7. fornicatarachnid

Re: Re: Re: A---FREAKING---MEN to that!

You're deluding yourself Dig :p

I blame 20 years of smoking pot on your present state of mind :(

8. digitalwanderer

MY turn!

Yup, but where did anyone ever say that pot killed braincells? It DOESN'T! It affects the way they work temporarily, but when the chemical reaction wears off the braincells fully recover.

Same for it's affects on RNA & DNA, I checked into that one rather extensively before we had the kids. :)

BTW-IQ is a suck-assed way to measure intelligence. :rolleyes:

Oh gods, then may I NEVER quit! My life has never, ever been better/happier/fuller/richer/more rewarding! I don't just seem like a ridiculously happy person, I really am. When you see me throwing hissies or bonkers somewhere it's really quite a controlled and cathartic reaction for me, that's "Dig" going off...not John Hayden. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you get the wrong idea from my online persona...but that's all it is, a persona. The person behind it is a bit deeper and more complicated; but he's also exceedingly happy with where he's at, what he's doing, and proud as hell about his family and how well and happy they are.

It's a lot to be proud of, and when it isn't driving me nuts I really am. :)

9. Highwood

Canadain government starting to see the light

Wednesday, September 4, 2002
    By DARREN YOURK
    Globe and Mail Update
    Senate Committee Urges Legal Marijuana
    The federal government should legalize the use of marijuana by adults, the Senate committee on Illegal Drugs recommended Wednesday in its final report.
    The committee's more than 600 page report, tabled Wednesday, says that the current system of prohibition in Canada does not work and should be replaced by a regulated system that would focus on illegal trafficking, prevention programs and respecting individual and collective freedoms.
    "In our opinion, Canadian society is ready for a responsible policy of cannabis regulation that complies with these basic principles," the report says.
    The report, the result of a two-year study of public policy related to marijuana, also recommends that the federal government amend the controlled drugs and substances act so that it can declare an amnesty for any Canadians convicted of possession of the drug under current or past legislation.
    "Scientific evidence overwhelmingly indicates that cannabis is substantially less harmful than alcohol and should be treated not as a criminal issue but as a social and public health issue," Progressive Conservative Senator Pierre Nolin, the committee chairman, said Wednesday at an Ottawa press conference.
    The committee says that public opinion on marijuana is more liberal than it was a decade ago and that Canadians strongly support the use of the drug for medical purposes.
    "This report is a unanimous one," Liberal Senator Colin Kenny said. "No one on the committee wants to see an increase in the use of cannabis. In fact, we believe that the recommendations you see in this report will ultimately result in a reduction of use of the drug.
    "We think that the main accomplishment we'll see here is a reduction in the criminality associated with the drug, and we think that is a very valuable benefit."
    The report also strongly urges the federal government to develop a comprehensive and coordinated national drug strategy. The committee is calling for a national adviser on psychoactive substances and dependencies to be created within the Privy Council.
    "We really need to get our act together on a multilateral basis on our drug policy in general," Mr. Nolin said. "In many ways, prohibition is a copout."
    It is not clear if the committee's recommendations will ever be adopted. There is broad support in Parliament for decriminalization of marijuana, but the Liberal government has not signaled whether it would introduce a bill calling for legalization.
    "There is no need for great delays if the government agrees with us," Mr. Nolin said. "We hope that the government will immediately address many of our suggestions, particularly those related to medicinal marijuana."

10. fornicatarachnid

Re: MY turn!

lol I don't know where you got the idea that I see you as...
    ...Ive never said anything of the sort :p

I read a lot of your 'ramblings' ;) about your life and family and think you are lucky to be so happy. You remind me a lot of how I used to feel a few years ago :hmm:

ps. good luck with quitting the fags. I used the nicotine patches and together with the help and support of a very good friend I managed to finally pull it off and have been a 'non-smoker' for 20 months now, which is something I'm extremely proud of :D

11. Highwood

To all the people out there that don’t want to see any changes to the laws regarding marijuana think about this, all the criminals and criminal organizations that profit from the production and sale of marijuana don’t want the laws changed either, there business would be ruined.

100th post wOOt!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  12. digitalwanderer

And also

Think of how much jail room we could free up by releasing non-violent marijuana offenders. :)

13. fornicatarachnid

Re: And also

....... to carry on stealing in order to feed their expensive habit :p

14. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

People wouldn't need to steal because if it was legal they would legally be able to grow their own supply. And that would also reduce many other crimes.

15. fornicatarachnid

What about those that haven't got green fingers, like me, I struggle to keep a cactus alive :uhoh:

16. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

That is a fallacy. First, in light of all the litigation brought against tobacco manufactuers as of late, many companies many not be interested in bringing marijuana to market. Furthermore, once marijuana is legalized, taxes will be imposed on it. Finally, when legalized, it is likely that only people that are a certain age will be allowed to possess it. All of these facts suggest that there will still be a very large black market that will utilize the existing illegal distribution system. Drug dealers will still exist, as they currently do, to sell untaxed, untested drugs to minors.

You keep ignoring my questions! WHY, DW, if that is SO true, is it infinitely easier to spot a dope-head than an alcoholic? Marijuana has long term effects on people's reasoning/thinking/comprehension abilities! Stop IGNORING the facts.

Dude, that might be true for some kids, but it sure as hell isn't true for ALL kids. The FACT is, of teenagers in rehab, there are more marijuana addicts than there are drug and alcohol abusers combined. I realize your rationalization makes sense to you, but if you're unable to concede that marijuana use comes with SOME risks, then I seriously call your critical thinking skills into question!

I wasn't. I was merely stating that there is no basis for comparison between tobacco and marijuana because tobacco isn't a psychotropic drug.

Dig, I honestly thought more of you than to think that you were so eager to succumb to propaganda. I can't believe you actually said "Think of how much jail room we could free up by releasing non-violent marijuana offenders!" Firstly, it is FACT that most non-violent drug users get TREATMENT, not jail time. In fact, it is ALSO A FACT that only 5% of federal prisoners are simple drug users. It's also a FACT that most drug use cases aren't even prosecuted: only 2.5 percent of the federal cases argued in District Courts involved simple drug possession. And in Michigan, only 15 out of 47,000 inmates were incarcerated on first-time drug possession charges. Jails are not full of "non-violent dope smokers" as so many supporters of legalization claim.

17. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

jyf

The reason why it's easy to spot a pot head is because they're little kids, who do it to "rip the system" ... which means THEY ARE STONED WHEN YOU SEE THEM. Alcoholics, true ones, usually don't show themselves out of bar and home. You don't see many middle class fathers, who have alcohol problems, chugging on a 40 on mainstreet...but that group of "gothic" 14 year olds with anarchy symbols on their jackets WANT you to see them stoned, it makes them feel cool.

If you think a pothead is easier to spot than an wino or a boozer, go to germany. Go to the downtown of any city, and count the raging homeless alcoholics, then count the pot users...I had rich kids who were the top of their classes and who gave speeches on supressing drug use offering me pot at parties there...which surprised even me!

I hope you people realize that you do much more damage to your brain with alcohol than with marijuana. Some organic drugs...opium, pot...have virtually no true long term side effects. Most side effects are witnessed when people mix organics with other drugs, alcohol, or a shitty lifestyle.

Example) My friend smokes a lot of weed, no messing with a bong (which filters the THC and isn't much more than expensive tobacco then), and he's as vital and sharp as the day I met him. Then, he starts drinking. smoke a joint, kick back a shot, drink a beer. This goes on for a while and soon, he becomes depressed and loses his work ethic.

Example) Most kids who drop out of college are binge drinkers and boozers. "Pot Heads" don't need to stay up till 3am boozing it with thier buddies, they can smoke a toke, get their homework done, and light up before bed at 10.

Example) Friend of mine smokes even more weed than first friend, knows more practical knowledge than most 80 year olds and is faster than Michael Shumacher's driving in witty report.

Pot should be legalized, people are killing themselves with legalized drugs as it is (booze, cigs, coolwhip (nitrous oxide...figure it out)), and the US spends more money and gives more prison time to marijuana cases than murderers and rapists...why not legalize it and tax it? a 20 billion dollar industry...it's the US's biggest cash crop!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2002
  18. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

Well you can't expect to change the world in one day. Right now, with marijuana illegal, everyone who wants some has to either buy it on the black market, grow their own, or go to Amsterdam. If it is legalized, most people will be able to buy it from stores legally and only a minority of people (teens) will still be buying it on the black market. Soon enough, though, dealers who used to sell to teens and adults will start to lose a lot of business and will diminish. It's like with cigarettes or alcohol--they're both legal, but not for teens. And yet, they still manage to get it. Legalizing marijuana will not cause chaos. It will only give a more legit and safer sources to get it. And if you don't like taxes, (who does:bleh:) you can always grow your own. That's the best thing about marijuana--it's easy to grow and doesn't require expensive equipment or too much experience.
    That's just your opinion. I agree with reno's statement:
    v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
    This has already been answered:
    v v v v v v v v v REPLY: v v v v v v v v v
    But there is basis. Both are smoked, both have cancer-causing carcinogens. One actually kills people and is legal; one never took a single life and is not. I agree with tobacco not being a psychotropic drug but that doesn't mean that it doesn't cause damage to your body--It does!
    Now, I don't know if you watch cops or not, but when you do watch it a lot, you realize something...Cops are ASSHOLES! Of course, I already knew that. The way that they treat people disgusts me. They find a little bag of weed on you so they have to smack your head against the cement and twist your arms all over the place. I mean, seriously, WTF is going on! Shouldn't they be more concentrated on the REAL criminals? The ones that get away with taking innocent people's lives as they please. Or the ones that rape helpless women time after time and get away with it. Why would you put someone in jail for posession of drugs? What have they done wrong? If they wanna do what they do, they will do it no matter what. So, what's the point of having a high-speed chase and risking many other innocent people's lives just to catch someone who just wants to get high? If that's the way it's gonna work, this country has SERIOUS problems.
    I know you intended this for DW so I'm just gonna shut up now and let you two debate it.

As for my conclusion, reno explains it quite well:

Peace. :cool:-~~~~~~~4~2~0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19. digitalwanderer

I was only ignoring this question out of curteousy JF, it makes you look silly to keep going on about it. I agree with the two previous posters, I think you're confusing your opinion with fact again here pretty powerfully.

The sad fact of the matter is you CAN'T tell most people who smoke, honest. You'd probably be very shocked at the people who do as they live perfectly ordinary lives, unlike the stereo-typical hang up you seem to be fixated on. :rolleyes:

20. Shaith

Shaith New Member

bleh

This thread sucks...where's my damn remote.