I2S clock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by l0v3r, Jan 12, 2005.

1. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

Is possible to change the I2S clock input of Audigy2 from 96Khz to 48KHz with kX Drivers? If yes, where exactly is the option?

10x guys

see ja!

2. Samir

Samir kX Lover

This is EXACTLY the question i wanted to ask!

Question for Eugene:

From what exact register(s) you get these values in SPDIF/I2S Status window:

I2S Inputs: (0): 96000Hz [R] (1): 96000Hz [R] (2): 96000Hz [R] ? ? ?

Any way to acces these register(s) from console?!?

3. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Anything on this?!?

4. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

the 76 register might help you, but in most cases this causes serious issues with the p16v core... i2s inputs should be locked at 96kHz

76 register: just open the console and try to switch spdif sample rate -- you will notice 76 register changes. values for i2s are the same

cc0
    etc.

E.

5. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Thanks!

to Eugene:

I knew about register 76, it can set p16v PB, I2S Out and SPDIF Out freq...
    btw, What is p16v PB?!?

WHY i2s inputs should be ALWAYS locked at 96kHz? Is this hardware limitation?
    From what register, if any, you actually read I2S Input values?

So many questions... :)
    (С Новым годом! ;) )

to l0v3r:

Maybe you should try executing sptr 76 0 8880 or sptr 76 0 1110 comands in Kx console & check how Live! Drive input works after these...

6. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Just before wanted to go to sleep i tried this command:

sptr 76 0 80008880

Whoops! It changed all I2S Inputs to 48000Hz (!) status :eek:
    when removing highest bit from register 76 (sptr 76 0 400) I2S Inputs fade back to 96000Hz [R] in few seconds... :)

Eugene, what are these (!) and [R] stuff mean?

l0v3r:

Please try sptr 76 0 80000400, your Live!DriveIR might work fine with this...

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

R-Rate Locked; S-Stream Locked; V-Valid Audio

8. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

10x a lot guys :w00t: , I'll try these commands this weekend, waiting for the ICs to modify the Drive.

see ja! :cool:

9. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

OK, I've done some tests right now and changing the 8th bit to 1, the info says that the I2S is set to 48KHz but the inputs mutes completely.
    I forgot a thing about the UDA1360, it works at maximum at 20bits... I'll continue to do tests the next week after changing them with the UDA1361.

さようなら。

10. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Hmmm, doesn't work!?! Too bad! :sigh: Also try, sptr 76 0 80008880 maybe it might work... Tried 8880 & 1110 values ???

がんばって。 :D

11. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

Ummm, I'll try also these settings... the next week :) ...
    わたし を がんばります。 (I hope it's well written :D )

thank you for now.

12. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

happy hacking ;)
    actually, I cannot disclosure this information, since it is not available for the public. but you can figure this out yourself, I'm sure.

note that xxx0 is much close to what you need, while 80000000 will cause some unexpected behaviour.

PB is 'playback' ;)

the 76 register's 'p16v PB' value is updated automatically whenever you start/stop playback via 'Wave HQ' device

E.

13. Samir

Samir kX Lover

ありがとうございました! 
    спасибо!

:) :) :)

14. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

15. AntonLive

AntonLive New Member

Hello, my first post on this forum. Could anyone give me a tip: where could i get information (with diagram would be lovely) how to connect two Soundblaster cards via I2S bus? I know the pinouts and hold a printout of Philips datasheet, but just cannot figure out whisch cable to rout.

thank you,
    A

16. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

It is not easily possible to interconnect 2 Soundcards via I2S, since these inputs/outputs must be clocked synchronous to each cards master clock or both cards must be synchronized by one crystal to get the same master clock. Or finally a sample rate converter must be inserted between the cards (I2S <-> SRC <-> I2S). So it is much easier to use the different SPDIF pins for interconnection. SPDIF out of one card can be directly connected with SPDIF in of the other card and vice versa.

And, the most important thing: All I2S-Pins on Live! and Audigy-Cards are inputs, so you can´t get an output signal from these cards via I2S.

17. AntonLive

AntonLive New Member

Thank you for reply. I started researching I2S mainly due to lack of Coax SPDIF inputs. I have 2 cards: SB Live! Gold and second one is Audigy ZS2. Audigy ZS behaves nicer in KX DSP and i can record ASIO. On another hand Live has more SPDIF inputs. i thought to use Audigy as my recording card, but maximum what i got was 2 digital recording pairs (4 channels). I2S seemed promising...

PS. I did not realize that I2S were only outputs. I am not so advanced with electronics, and readidng quickly Philips tech note, i thought through 3 pins it can send and receive. Now all is clear. Thank you very much for the help.

18. AntonLive

AntonLive New Member

I also wanted to write about this:
    Soundblaster SPDIF uses different Logic Voltage (TTL), so without converting the signal, it does not receive other equipment's signal. First i was experimenting and got confused. Somewhere on internet i found this: Converting your Soundblaster
    The schematic seems like its doable for people without PCB etching equipment. (if someone wants to connect standard SPDIF to Sondblaster AUD_EX pins)

I tryed the other way:

I was testing the Soundblaster non standard TTL connection. Between two SB cards. And i noticed strange thing: when i connect from one computer's soundblaster SPDIF to the other SB on another PC (via coaxial cable), in case the plug is correctly connected no sound comes out of output, only crackles. Then if i pull the plug half way out, perfect Digital audio streams between the machines. I thought maybe the polarity is wapped on the cable, but all is fine. Do you guys know what can be the cause?

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You did not mention which SB cards you are using, which jacks you are using on the cards, nor what OS or kX version you are using (and more info about the cable you are using could be helpful). I guess you are using (for output) the (4 pole) orange digital out jack found on many models? These jacks have 3 separate SPDIF connections, and use a proprietary cable (to make use of all 3). I suppose it is possible that your signal is going to one of the other SPDIF outputs (i.e. it is not going to digital front)? and if you are using (for example) a 2 pole cable, then when you pull it half way out, it could pick up the signal from one of the other SPDIF outputs (see pinout). Trace your signals in the DSP and use a peak plugin to confirm that your signal is being sent to digital front on epilog.

20. AntonLive

AntonLive New Member

Sorry, i wrote it down rather hastily... I Use 2 Soundblasters: CT4832 (output)--->
    And receive it with Audigy 2ZS
    The cards I connected through AD_Ext connectors.
    On CT4832 its called Aud_Ext. SPDIF out: pins GND 18 and 19 for signal.

On Audigy AD_ext i input SPDIF0 in pins 5 and 6 (6 i used as GND)
    So i dont use any proprietary yellow wires.

Both machines are PC, Windows XP.

Thank you for tipps.
    A