I2s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daPyr0x, Jul 29, 2004.

1. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

Does anybody know exactly what this I2S stuff on the audigy cards is actually *for*?

I've never heard of I2S "audio", so if someone could point me in the direction of that I'd be much appreciative; but I'm far more interested in the prospect of the I2S being able to communicate with other things, such as the Live Drive's IR port, or an LCD, or something else....something I can build ;)

Does anybody know?

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I2S or IIS- inter-IC sound
    its a format of digital audio that travels between the 10kx chip and the adc/dac chips

3. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

Okay, that all said; how *does* the livedrive interface with the sound card? Where is it giving/taking data from for, like, the IR Remote Control or anything like that? Can that in any way be modded to control, say, an LCD? or would anyone have any idea how one would wire up a homebrew IR for it? Any clues at all?

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I2S is only used for audio… in the live drive it is line/mic2 and aux2

5. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

yes, I know
    but what *is* used for communication? Because I don't see anything on the pinout with the exception of the I2S that *could* be used for communication between the live drive and the card.

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the GP inputs and outputs are the ones that are used afaik

7. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

really?
    hm....well, when I did my mod to allow me to wire in SPDIF I roughly followed this; and I was under the impression that GPI0 was a switch that, when put through the 4k7ohm resistor to VCC it tells the card that there is an SPDIF input coming across input 0. Would make sense, seeing as Creative's drivers don't provide the option for the volume of that SPDIF input unless that is done.....

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

there are more than one gpinput and output - i guess each has a diff function

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

looking at that diagram… the GP i/o is unnecessary… it can be done with out that

10. daPyr0x

daPyr0x New Member

is it unneccesary? If I remember correctly the Creative drivers will ignore anything coming in through SPDIF0 without the GPI0 connected to the resistor. The kX drivers are a special case; but they wouldn't support AC-3 when I did it, so I catered to Creative.

I had assumed that GPI0 was for SPDIF0, GPI1 for SPDIF1, etc....

Does anybody actually know how the i/o communication functions between the live drive and the audigy work??

11. Samir

Samir kX Lover

:duh: This seems to be one of the Cretenative's most favorite secrets of all times! I was reasearching Audigy2 AD_EXT connector (wich is very similar to AUD_EXT @ Live! cards but completly undoccumented), and what gave me most trouble are GPIs & GPOs... For now, i presume, that GPI0 is only for LiveDrive/AudigyDrive detection & GPI1, GPO1 are for IR communication... :uhoh: