i5 2500k Overclock Problem?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by CrazyCanadianGuy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. CrazyCanadianGuy

CrazyCanadianGuy New Member

Hello HHers. I have overclocked my i5 2500k from 3.3ghz to 4.5 ghz on the Asus Sabertooth p67. I have followed Youtube instructional videos very carefully and I am confident I have set everything correctly for 4.5ghz. Now my problem is when I go into the BIOS, the speed still says something along the lines of 3399mhz, etc. When I am in AI Tuner, it reads the recommended speed as 4500mhz. BUT, when I check with CPUZ and Core Temp, the speeds read about 4499mhz - 4500mhz respectively. THEN, when I run CPU Speed Pro, it reads my speed as ~3399mhz. So what the heck is my actual speed? I am very confused. Is there something further I need to do in BIOS? I am missing something or is this just normal and it's actually overclocked?

2. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Find an up to date BIOS as you have an Asus mobo. CPUz is the best app you can get for this, so what you get as a reading should be spot on.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Some programs will read the cpu's intended clock speeds.... and not provide you the current one.

usually CPU Z is spot on though.

Run some tests, if your noticeably faster then stock speeds... then your overclock is likely working.

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I'm not up to date with overclocking the newer CPUs, but is it possible you've left a turbo mode switched on or something?

Otherwise I would update the BIOS, usually that and CPU-z are the correct ones. If you've changed all the options and they've saved properly, then I'm sure CPU-z will be right.

5. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

ASUS bios is shite for some reason or another

6. CrazyCanadianGuy

CrazyCanadianGuy New Member

Wow, forgot I even posted this lol. In my best guest I think the overclock did work because they operate at higher temps than before. But yeah I will update BIOS. Thanks for replies :D