i5 vs i7 and Ivybridge vs SandyBridge

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Gastrian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

I've been an AMD boy for about a decade but was lucky enough to win this http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/ in an Asus competition so now need to start diping my toes into the Intel pool.

My main usage for the PC is gaming, video capture, video editing and video conversion (Blu-Ray to 1080p .mp4) and will be replacing an AMD Phenom II X4 955 black edition cpu and a Asus M4A89TD PRO 890FX motherboard with the Sabertooth and a Intel CPU.

Apart from the better integrated graphics (which don't really interest me as I'll be using a 5770 dedicated GPU) is there much improvement between the Ivybridge and Sandybridge models? I'll be doing a slight overclock with a Corsair H70 watercooler but nothing excessive so peak overclock isn't a concern.

Also reading up on the major differences between i7 vs i5 is hyperthreading, increrased cache and increased clock speeds. Are there any other differences and do the i7 improvements translate into real world benefits?

Thanks

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Go for the newer chip, with its PCIe 3.0 etc it will last you through future upgrades better than the SB model. That said, performance wont be that different so if you were to see an awesome deal on SB then its well worth considering.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

IB is a bit faster, a bit more power efficient, a bit more future-proof. Only go for SB if you get a decent saving vs. IB, as Veridian3 said.

As for i5 vs. i7, imo, given the price difference, i7s are quite hard to justify. Look up some benchmarks for the software you use by all means, but really its only the hyperthreading that makes a significant difference on the i7. It allows them to gain the equivalent of an extra core or two of performance, when and only when programs can make use of all 8 threads. Currently not many programs can.

4. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Thank i5 Ivy Bridge it is then

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Go for an i7 in my opinion. HD video conversion sucks your system's resources dry. The difference between an i5 and an i7 (depending on the software that you're using) could mean quite a bit of time.
    Adobe Premier will make use of your processor more than anything else. After Effects is RAM plus CPU. So, if you use both or After Effects, save money on the i7 and get an i5 with extra RAM. If you use Premier, the i7. If you don't use either, the i5.

Yeah, a little bit of a contradiction but Adobe is a hog.

6. Ishank

Ishank New Member

i7 has hyperthreading and has more cache than i5 so it will help you in video editing....you will not see much difference in games and you have a z77 board so i recommend an ivy bridge processor because with ivy bridge you got support for all slots on your board and pcie 3.0 is also supported on ivy bridge.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The advantage of the i7 varies from 0% to 42% depending on software. Go look up some benchmarks, then decide how much you value the time you'd save.