Ideal Resolution for 4K UltraHD Movies?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jac, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I've long wanted an Ultrawide monitor - for cinematic gaming and more specifically for getting the best movie watching experience. So what I am looking for is a circa 21:9 monitor that will display UltraHD Blurays at native pixel for pixel resolution.

UltraHD Bluray is 3840 x 2160 though of course some of that will be black bars. Current monitors seem to be either 3840x1440p or 5120x2160 so which one of these would display a native image properly. I'm guessing it;s the width that is important i.e. 3840! For some reason I just cannot seem to get my head around this :confused:

Another aspect is the fact that physical media seems to be on the decline so what is the typical resolution of UltraHD video from streaming services? I don't know because pretty much all my movies come down from PB.

edit : made a mistake - seems the common resolutions are 3440 x 1440p and 5120 x 2160p. Which means neither will give you pixel for pixel results for UltraHD movies. Which seems daft, it's like having standard Full HD video of 1080p and then manufacturer's releasing 1800 x 1020 or 2120 x 1100 displays! :eek:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Playing back a 4k bluray on a pc is like trying to thread the needle with an airplane.... it's just like when blurays launched in 2005/2006 and even in 2010 playing standard blurays on a computer was a nightmare.

While many of the movies have a format the is 2.35:1 which for 4k, is in around 3840x1632... it'll just about fit a 1440p 21:9 display but not quite. Also considering how the vast majority of 4K blurays are actually just 1080p upscales... you're not going to be missing much, A 3840x1600 display will give you about as close as you can get to the widescreen that'll fit a good portion of movies, but these displays are insanely rare yet.

But there are also a hell of a lot of movies that are 16:9 and 4k such as plenty of animated films. There are also some films such as the Dark Knight or Tron Legacy or even i believe deadpool that uses a mix of standard 2.3-2.4:1 ratio alongside imax 16:9.

Also keep in mind, that even if a movie is released in a widescreen aspect, the bluray itself is encoded with the full 16:9 ratio black bars. Unless you intend to force cropping, which will obviously cut off some parts of the image to a degree depending on monitor resolution, it could also bugger with aspect ratio/perspective which won't look pretty at all.

Personally i've been hoping to see a 5120x2160 display arrive at a decent price. I mean hell, there are a pile of 2560x1080 displays that can be had for dirt cheap, what's so hard about quading up those panels.

I've been playing a lot of games though, at 7680x1080, 7680x2160 would be REALLY damn nice however.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Yeah - honestly most movies I watch come down from TPB and I watch them on my 4K so I will get a 2160 version if I can. As you say most movies released aren't shot in 4K anyway so it is a bit of a moot point. A lot of the encodes are pretty bad for noise and posterisation so I would like to watch some of the more premium titles from UltraHD Bluray - I do watch the occasional 1080p Bluray using my BD-ROM drive but the UltraHD discs would mean a new BD Drive and connecting the display to my IGP because AFAIK playback is not possible with nVidia GPUs.

I think for now a 3440x1440 might be the best option. Significantly cheaper than the 5K2K displays I've seen and I'd have an eye on selling it on and getting something better when manufacturer's start releasing decent and true HDR monitors and not the 'HDR compatible' crap we get nowadays.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

There is no way to win. Just accept you will never have the perfect single solution and just get whatever you like more.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

until samsung makes the modular tvs consumer viable.... we won't have the perfect resolution.

I can't wait.... make any aspect ratio you want and you can even hot swap them around depending on your wants at the moment.