IE 8 Win XP and Explorer security question.

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by jandarsun8, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

With IE 6 you could right click on it and do a Run As... command with it to run in elevated rights in which case you could access the C:\ by typing that into the address bar and move around in Windows. This was a huge short cut that was used so you didn't have to log the user off in order to do something specific.

With IE8 and above though, it opens up a new window that keep the current permissions of who's logged in and I can't seem to find away around this problem. I've looked it up on Google but I haven't really found any fix for it.

This is with IE8 and Win XP. We haven't moved to IE 9 yet as some of our apps at work are having issues with it, specifically MS Matrix. We're not migrating to Win 7 until Feb of next year.

Anyone got any ideas to try to would allow the use of admin rights to specific folders on the c:\ drive without having to log the user off in order to do so? Logging the user off isn't the worst thing in the world however there are days that we've got a shit ton of work to do and every little bit of time helps sometimes (to put into perspective, we used to have 7 of us and there are now three of us with the same mount of work).

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Hello buddy,

Try lowering your security zone settings to LOW as then it might allow direct access....

Im on IE6 and if it change my security settings to HIGH it acts the same way IE8,9 does (Asking permission for everything,popping up warnings,etc)

Click INTERNET OPTIONS and goto the SECURITY TAB and scroll down to CUSTOM and change it..

Right now i have mine set on Medium (Although i have modified my "medium" settings from default settings for "medium" I have active-x locked down so no new controls can load (ACTIVE-X CAN BE DANGEROUS))

Good luck!

3. caqde

caqde Active Member

If you hold down the shift key and right click on a program you could use the run as admin.

Now if you want an explorer window like this make a shortcut to explorer.exe and run that as admin and I would assume it would do the same thing as before. But I am not sure what kind of permissions you guys are dealing with.