IE Security Settings

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

One of my sisters uses a corporate laptop that, for some reason or another, keeps reverting to security settings that prevent her from downloading some essential correspondence from clients. I've set the security settings to Medium but it keeps resetting to Medium/High.

I don't use IE, personally, but wonder if anyone knows why this happens and if there is a way to prevent it from resetting itself?

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Does it connect via VPN (or in the local area) to a domain? If so, it might be enforced by group policies.
    Otherwise, unless there is security software enforcing it, I'm not aware of any reason as to why the security settings would increase.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The way it connects would definitely be different from when she has it at the office vs. when it's being looked at at her home.

Some of what she tried to explain to me wasn't nearly as clear in her text description as it was when we got to looking at the laptop.

Previously, I had lowered the Security settings at her home and she was able to download and view the selected files. She told me tonight that this particular issue was resolved. That wasn't made clear earlier in her description. Once we got looking at it, I found out that she was addressing a completely DIFFERENT issue. She had transferred some files from another system via a flash drive. These files had been created in MS Word and, for some reason, wouldn't open in MS Word on her own laptop. I had no access to the original system and no idea which version of Word was used to create the original files. But, I tried to do a Recovery operation and was greeted with the message that the file was corrupted and not recoverable.

There's every likelihood that the original system used some kind of encryption to save those files since these offices are legal/attorney offices. She's employed by one of them.

But, it appears that the original issue I addressed a couple of weeks ago was actually corrected.

I also found that IE had NOT reset the Security level at all. That really was a non-issue, but, again, her text description was lacking in details.