IE sucks no it doesn't

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by craig588, Feb 14, 2004.

1. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Not true. Linux (or any other *NIX) is more secure by design by the simple virtue that Windows was designed for a single all powerful user. Try playing 3D games under a basic user account - most demand that an account with Administrator rights is used. Thusly, little Jonny has admin rights as he wants to play Dungeon Seige. Oh look - he's installed a Britney Spears screen saver with that nast virus attached!

Under *NIX, Johnny's account would just have rights to the 3D card, audio and input devices, none of which can give "root" access. Thusly whilst Jonny installs his screensaver, only his account on the PC is affected and cannot get out of his area.

Linux's strength is it's diversity. Instead of forcing people to install a certain way, why not invent different ways? Then pick the one which is best for you.

Besides, the same argument applies to other things like "Only when it has a standard GUI/DE/Mail/web browser/word processor/a.n.other thing"

C'mon - haven't you heard Windows users say the same thing?

2. UberLord

No firewall will stop malicous code from reaching IE and fekking you up. You need a content filter that updates itself regulary for that. Or at least more regular than MS putting out their fixes.

3. craig588

craig588 Banned

Finally someone to help defend me :).

4. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

I've been running "My IE2" at work and find it to be every bit as fast as IE, and very comapatible with everything I've tried to open... I like alot of the features that it has built in natively...

5. UberLord

Thats because "My IE2" is just a wrapper ontop of IE. You're still using IE really.

It's kinda like me. I use Epiphany which is a GTK/GNOME wrapper that requires Mozilla. But fundamentally, I'm still using Mozilla.

6. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

"IE Sucks" "IE Rocks"

This is just like Pepsi vs Coke.....:bleh: :hmm:

7. tek

tek New Member

IE works for me, intergrated with Windows - so why would I use something else?

8. HawK

HawK Banned

because its save ? easy to config? its nice & slow, lovely popups & average of 4 cookies per site?..... yeah why would you use something else :duh: ;)

9. UberLord

If there's one thing that last year's crop of viruses, exploits and malicious code shows it's that a mono-culture (windows and IE) is a Bad Thing ™

10. tek

tek New Member

Too bad I've never experienced what you two just mentioned.

not everybodys experience with software is the same... buddy:) (edit)

11. krazy1

I agree.. I have tried other Browsers and I still use IE... If you set it up right and have proper security on your system you should have noting to worry about.. I can honestly say I have not had a virus on ANY of my systems for over 5 years and I run 9 PC's on my network.... I have also managed to keep my moms network Virus free even with all the downloads my brother does. You set your stuff up right (be it IE or even Outlook) and have proper security mesures taken, you have nothing to worry about.

As for speed of browsers.... Sorry I am not in that much of a rush that a few seconds savings is going to effect my life.. :D IE works just fine...

12. UberLord

13. krazy1

404 File Not Found

We can't find the file that you are looking for. Perhaps it has been moved, or maybe you misspelled it. Either way, check the URL and try again. If you want, you can send an email to the webmaster, and if you do, be sure to say what page you were looking at.

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  15. UberLord

As I said - it's nasty stuff.

I'm not saying that all browsers are perfectly secure - far from it. It's just that IE has a very very bad reputation.

The Windows 2000/NT4 source code was leaked a while back - they've already found a new buffer overflow to gain access in IE5 (not IE6). In the bitmap drawing code. I mean, wtf? Display a picture and bang!

16. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

How many of all those people who say "I use IE, don't need anything else, nuff said" have recently tried Opera or Mozilla Firefox (not Netscape/Mozilla Suite)?

Speaking of SP2 2055:
    1. It's not final, official, whatever.
    2. It's WinXP only. No Win2k version.
    3. It *does*not* improve speed/standards compliance in IE a single bit.
    4. Even if it adds popup blocking, where are other interesting features. is tabbed browsing (not to mention Tabbrowser extensions for Firefox...)?

17. krazy1

I have tried both (even own Opera) and still prefer IE...

18. krazy1

Can't tell me Opera and Firebird are perfectly safe too... even they have problems.... Opera Vuln.

19. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

That happens when you visit that web page? Sounds easily avoidable.

"No firewall will stop malicous code from reaching IE and fekking you up." True, but sensibility can. (don't visit malicious sites)

Anyway, I do use Mozilla, for some of its features. But I'd rather be using IE, because Mozilla feels so slow.
    I still open IE for pages that don't work right in Mozilla.

20. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

To be honest with you, I am trying out Firefox right now and it seems to d/l sites a lot faster than IE and Mozilla. I like all of the browsers, each have their own use.