iLIve 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 21, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This I picked up for myself. I did get it on sale and at 20% off. The Bluetooth reception is the main interest I had since I, hopefully, can send audio from other devices to this system. It also has the soundbar, which I do not have with my current system.

However, before I go into getting it all set up, I have this question: Has anyone here ever had any experience with this particular system?

https://www.amazon.com/iLive-Bluetooth-Satellite-Subwoofer-IHTB138B/dp/B077M291GV

I'm reading reviews that run the whole gamut from "the worst....ever" to "absolutely gorgeous sound".

This does, also, have a remote control that is appealing to me. My current 5.1 sound system requires I control it from the desktop, or from one of the orbital units sitting on my physical desktop.

Getting this installed is going to require some serious re-arranging of things in my computer room while doing it, too. Which is why I've already had it for about a week without doing anything with it.

iLive 5.1System.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

Personally I would rather have gone for a Bose soundbar. But happy listening and congrats on your new purchase. :)

3. Dyre Straits

I spent some time this evening working on setting up this system. I still have the rear speakers to connect but am using the previous rear speakers at the moment. I have some serious cleaning and sorting to do in the area where these will be mounted near the ceiling at the back wall. I have already used the Bluetooth to connect and play some music from my cellphone. It works! And, I've tested the Optical connection from my XBOX and that's working, too.

I do have 2 speakers working from my PC via Aux In on the system. I have to get some Stereo -> RCA cables to complete the surround sound setup from PC.

4. Dyre Straits

I still need to set up the rear speakers. But, using my previous ones for now, the system is working well.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Dyre Straits

Well, one bit of disappointment: In order to use both the Center and Sub-woofer on this system, I have to use a Y-splitter from the PC to feed both of those. Otherwise, so far, at least, I can't get the Sub-woofer to respond from any single source from the PC. Using the latest RealTek drivers and its configuration interface.

6. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

One of the reasons I got my mobo. It has a Creative Fatality sound card onboard, and the sound coming out of it is sublime when mated to good speakers.

7. Dyre Straits

The previous sound system I was using is probably close to 20 years old. Altec and it came with only 4 orbital speakers and the sub-woofer. I had to buy another speaker to use for the Center. And, the RealTec audio worked fine with that setup. There must be something I can do to get the Sub-woofer to working independently from the Center on this system. After all, the ports are separate for them. Scratching my head for the moment.

8. Dyre Straits

OK....after fiddling with the connections and volume controls some more, I realized that, apparently by default, the Sub-woofer volume was WAY too low. It could be the design of this system, but, I had to go into the Windows settings and turned the sub-woofer volume up by about 35% more than the other outputs.

So, at least for the time being, I'm OK with how its working. And, I do like having a remote control to operate things when needed.