Industry sources express concern about limited capacity for AMD in 2006

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

AMD may suffer from limited capacity in the second half of 2006, following the scheduled launch of its Socket AM2 dual-core platform on June 6, according to market sources. The sources expressed concern that AMD may have a hard time maintaining strong first quarter profits and gross margins throughout the end of this year since its capacity could fail to meet demand.

In addition, Intel’s launch of the Conroe dual-core series may put more pressure on AMD, with the new processors delivering better performance than AMD’s Socket AM2 line, the sources noted. Intel will kick off volume shipments of the Conroe series in four versions in July of this year.
    _______
    Read More / Source: DigiTimes

2. Master Shake

Master Shake New Member

noooooooooooooo

3. heffeque

heffeque New Member

It'll be sad to see AMD go down that way. Just Conroe is going to be killer for AMD so I can't imagine adding supply shortage to the baggage :(

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

It's going to hurt quite a bit but AMD isn't out of the fight just yet.

5. Chanur

Chanur New Member

I'd be pretty surprised if AMD has any serious shortage issues with AM2... Not only is their new fab up and running on 300nm wafers instead of the original fab's 200nm (Which will be upgraded to 300mm at some point soon as well), but they have a third source of chips through their agreement with Chartered Semiconductor.

It may just be me, but I also bet there will be a large number of AMD enthusiasts that will hold out for the 65nm processors around the first part of 07, should help alleviate any shortages to some degree. At least that's my perspective. Conroe will certainly hurt them though regardless, if it proves to be as good as it seems....