INFsetup error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Dennis, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Dennis

Dennis New Member

OK, don't make fun of me because I'm stupid. But I ran into this error trying to install the Catalyst 3.1 drivers for my Radeon 8500.
    "infsetup has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL."

I had the 2.3's working fine beforehand. Uninstalled them, ran RegCleaner. Went through the normal installation process for the 3.1's.

Now I get this error everytime I try to install the new ones (and also when I try to re-install the 2.3's).

It comes when I hit the Yes button for the licensing agreement. I've never seen it before, and I can't seem to find a workaround. Re-downloading the driver didn't help.

I hope someone can clue me in, because I can't seem to install any drivers at all now.

It's a Dell Dimension 4100; Windows Me; PIII 866; 512 mb RAM.

Any help?
    Dennis

2. Layden

Layden New Member

Yes, I also got this error. I was over at Rage 3D and it seems a lot of people have also experienced this problem. It seems ATI have really screwed up with this release. :(

Try uninstalling the driver again and installing one of Omegadrive's Driver sets. That worked for me anyway.

3. neoz1

neoz1 New Member

same here!!

Just when I was going to post this same error!! Damn, Omega's drivers installed like a breeze. All ATI's drivers I get those Infsetup errors? I really want the 3.1's for the new AA for 16 bit apps........:sigh:

Hey Omega, when are you coming out with the 3.1 version ??? :D

4. Dennis

Dennis New Member

I was finally able to get around the error message by cancelling out of the "InstallShield" process and going the "update driver" route through the Device Manager.

Thanks for the Omega suggestion. I might try that route next time.

5. neoz1

neoz1 New Member

Yea, coming back from Rage 3D I found that a lot of folks have not been using the install setup and just going into Device Mananger "update Driver" so I think I will try that route tonight as well. Hope this works ..........:sigh:

6. Layden

Layden New Member

Yes, that method worked for me also. ;)

I seem to have lost the Smartgart Tab in my display properties after all this messing about though.

7. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

Try uninstalling and reïnstalling the Cpanel, seen other users having same problem has to do with the ati uninstaller not working correctly apparantly. good luck, may the force be with you ...

8. neoz1

neoz1 New Member

let me know if this works cause i dont have the smartgart either installing manually!

9. Layden

Layden New Member

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the control panel, but I still don't have the Smartgart tab. I'm not too bothered as I don't really need it. I was just curious about what happened to it.

10. neoz1

neoz1 New Member

Did u install the drivers through device manager? Or did u use the installshield from ATI ? If you installed manually like I did you will not get the smartgart tab, heard it was pretty useless anyway.

11. Senior Citizen

Senior Citizen New Member

.inf error

I have the same problem. All went well with updating drivers until Cats. 3.0a came along. I cannot install Cats. 3.0a or 3.1.. I tried all the tricks. I'm stuck at 3.0. I have not tried the drivers for XP. People are having a problem with updating these drivers for Windows 98SE. There should be a driver just for Windows 98SE. Not a combo 98/ME driver.

12. rogueallman

rogueallman New Member

IE6SP1 is causing the issue with the Cat3.x drivers on some machines. If you have IE6 or greater uninstall it and install IE5.5SP2 or just leave the default IE4.x running and try to install the drivers. This has fixed the driver INF error for many users.

I have tried the install with DirectX8.1 and 9 installed and the same INF error or VXD error happens as long as IE6 or greater is installed.

A manual install of the display drivers in Device Manager will cause problems installing the control panel, smartgart and other tabs may not appear. Also some users have reported that after a manual install of the display driver causes the dialup adapter to run when you access DirectX Diags or check the video card under display properties in the Device Manager.

Try this and see if this helps.

13. rogueallman

rogueallman New Member

I need to add some more information. Several users have informed me that the problem still happened with IE5.5SP2 installed and when they uninstalled IE5.5SP2 and ran just IE4.x the INF errors stoped.

This may or may not correct your issue's but it's something to try. Hope it helps!!!

14. Layden

Layden New Member

I do indeed have IE6 installed but although the 3.1 Cats had the installer problem, I had no problem with the Cat 3.2 installation. Weird huh? :confused:

15. _X_

_X_ New Member

I had the INFSETUP error in win 98. Completely hosed up my system installing cat 3.0 , 3.1 and 3.2

The drivers are finally installing without this error. That is the cat 3.4 that ati posted last week.

This problem also affects WINME so a different driver for 98 would not make any difference.

Besides WINME = Win98 with all the patches. There is no need for a different driver.

BTW: You only get smartgart if the driver SETUP program is used. You don't get it if you do the UPDATE DRIVER in device manager.

16. DigitalAngst

DigitalAngst New Member

I solved that problem too by deinstalling all IE (v5 and up) related stuff. Not much of a problem for me, Mozilla owns :D

17. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

There is maybe a way. This is in the readme of my new driver cleaner were i am still working on.

After the uninstall of the drivers and control panel check if windows set the display adapter to Standaard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). If windows set it to Standaard Display Adapter (VGA) than it is highly possible that you wil get an infsetup error when you install the new ATI display driver. If you get this error set the display adapter to Standaard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) and than install the drivers.

I want to thank Vampyromaniac for giving me the solution for that problem.

18. _X_

_X_ New Member

The INFSETUP problem has been fixed in the catalyst 3.4 drivers.