INSPIRE ME !!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Smoothdrive, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Smoothdrive

Smoothdrive Foolish Genius

I'm thinking about changing carreer away from the server/network area towards programming/creating..

Thing is i have no clue where to start..i have no programming/coding skills worth mentioning..self-taught i always go as far as quic-clicks can take me, i bother to read for 5 minutes but when it gets longer i'm bored with it pretty quickly.

I liked recording Macro's in Excel untill i learned to make some simple acces thingies (don't know VB so can't make the difficult ones), also spending enough time to make them look decent for users, i liked making websites (handcoding untill i got Frontpage which in turn i used untill i got dreamweaver) I like finding solutions.

I don't like routine jobs, dry theoretical stuff and hours of hand-coding before you can get results sound terrible to me..don't mind the hours of work but i wanna see what i'm doing straight away..

Combining graphical interfaces with some hand tweaking is more my preffered method I guess..

So what should i start with..?? There's so many too choose form these days..

What's easy to start off with and will give a good enough and most usefull base ?

2. merry

merry gargouille

Why not HTML/JavaScript... it's not actually programming, but you can 'see what you are doing straight away'... and get you started on reading - you'll need it.

3. Smoothdrive

Basic HTML i already know..it's gotten sloppy since i use dreamweaver these days..and javascript..well i might do some reading on it..i've used it copy & paste before..

4. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Hand code XHTML Strict and CSS instead of using Dreamweaver. :D

Might want to learn C++ or Java.

5. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re:

Why not learn PHP instead of C/C++ or Java?

PHP creates dynamic web pages. Use xHTML 1.1 and CSS without tables and you're well away :)

6. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

CSS without tables is still too non-backward compatible for me to use it right now, most likely in a little while i'll start using it more, but not for a little while.

7. merry

merry gargouille

Confused?

Start with JavaScript, you'll get used with the basic notions. Then it will be easier to move to Java, C++ etc. The basic notions are much the same, objects (or classes) and all.

8. Smoothdrive

I've done some reading on Java in the past..was suprised at the amount of coding that went into very simple thingies and seems like you need a lot of practise before you can actually write something simple by head..also the thing i don't like about java is the slow starting and not very stable engine behind it..when it runs it runs allright but the times i have been looking at a grey window wondering weither it was starting or just a dead window..sometimes a simple restart would fix it sometimes it was an error in the coding and sometimes it just took forever to start..

I've read that both Windows and Linux are C++ that correct ? Saw some articles about using directX and using windows in C++..sounds better than Java to me (but what do i know at this time ;) )

I take it C++ is also a language that needs compiling ??

9. Smoothdrive

Started some self-study on C++ can anyone recommend a compiler ?? (wanna try as soon as i read about it ;) )

10. merry

merry gargouille

11. Smoothdrive

Thanks,

I'm checking internally within the company i work for..we probably have some licensed stuff already..(pretty big IT company (or THE BIGGEST if were American like the company ;) )..but i'm sure i'll be looking puzzled at the compiler and it's results for the first few weeks anyway..

12. merry

merry gargouille

Good luck, then. Don't lose faith.

13. UberLord

Re:

Then I look at the browser requirement for your XForum and :rolleyes:

14. Smoothdrive

C++ is pretty easy to start with..

For those who wonder..if you did your "and-or-while-for" back in the basic days you'll pretty much understand the first few lessons in no time.. ;)

Don't hold your breath till I know C++ hope i keep on liking it enough to stick with it. I'm inspired for the moment anyway :D thanks guys !

15. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Re:

Its Forum-X you freak :p.

lol.

I know what you are saying, but Forum-X is still viewable on lower browsers, (just with the date wrapping a bunch)

I'll be looking into a solution for that though.

(i do understand why you would choose CSS Positioning, as it is a great idea, but I wont move over to it fully for another year or two.)

(Plus: I am not a professional web-designer, I just like doing it as a hobby, I have found CSS Positioning to be buggy (especially with window-resizing) so I dont use it. This is just personal opinion)

I leave the decision up to the person who will be making the site, and in this case its Smoothdrive, (have fun man :))

BTW: UberLord, I love the UserAgent script you wrote :D

16. Smoothdrive

Site ? what site ? i wasn't looking for a language to use on a site specifically ;)

Besides i'm not that good with graphics..been working on a simple site for a hairdresser..the colours are his choice (company colours and stuff) the little face is also his logo so my greatest achievements are incorporating the logo in the site and the menu..which i do think is funny.

Never mind the photo's on the site..it's not live yet..just scrap photo's to get the basic layout..

Linkie

don't you all start shouting at once..i'm no strict coder or anything and you guys can probably find 1001 things wrong in this site ;)

17. UberLord

Re:

#1 It uses frames which are evil :evil:

18. UberLord

Re:

I nicked about 50% of the code from the phpSniff project.
    I didn't like the way they did most of their detection, but I did use some of their algorythms :)

I've got an updated one that detects Windows NT 4.0 correctly now.
    However, it still detects Windows NT 3.x as Window NT 4.0 still as they didn't export the windows version in the UA string :/

19. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Re:

I also did some modification of it, to support Windows XP naming, as well as Windows .NET, but I haven't used it on any of my websites as of yet.

(PS, yes frames ARE evil)