Installing DirectX 9 Can & Will Kill DirectX 10

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by CDsDontBurn, Feb 27, 2008.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Recently, I reinstalled the software on our testbed for another long run of benchmarks. Amongst those software were some DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games. After installing them, I realized that one of the games, BioShock did not work. Whenever I tried loading BioShock, it would just hang with a black screen.

At first, I thought it was the new version 1.1 patch because the other DirectX 10 games I installed worked. So I reinstalled BioShock without applying the patch. Still no go. It still hung when I ran it. Once again, I did an intense search online that didn't really reveal much. Take-Two Interactive's support site claimed it was the driver, so I tried a different driver. No success there either.

Source: Tech ARP

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx for heads up.

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Huh? Did this guy do any testing to reach that conclusion, other than the fact that reinstalling the DX10 redist fixed his problem?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've got tons of games where they intalll directx8.1/9.0a/b/c and never seen this...

5. Chaosophy

Chaosophy New Member

I'd have to say that's wrong, a coincidence at best. DX installs should only update files, never downgrade them. And there is no DX10 download, or DX9 download for that matter, just the latest DX download that updates/installs all currently supported DX versions/files. If you extract that redist the article links to you will see it is both DX 9 and 10.

The only thing I can think is that the game they installed forced it's out of date version of DX9 to install or just broke something else.

TBH if I install an old game that won't let you cancel it's DX part of the install I normally just re run the latest redist any way. If you have it pre extracted and the fact it won't do a full install each time, just what it needs, it doesn't take long.

6. Iria

Iria New Member

I agree. I had to update DX9 in order to install Nero, and had no issues.

7. Exilon

Exilon New Member

I've dumped the entire DX9 library into my system to avoid reinstalling some games but haven't run into any issue so far.