Intel cpus are cooler

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by rushstrike, Jun 29, 2002.

1. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

I have read some posts and I kept on hearing that Intel cpus are cooler. But guess what from THG video about cpu cooler.
    Link: http://www12.tomshardware.com/images/THG_CPU_Cooling.zip
    P4 started slowing down only at a temperature of 29C
    P3 freezes at 38C
    While any athlon can probably run stable under 70C.
    As far as I can tell, Intel cpus NEED to be cool to run properly.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

That's weird...

'Cause my PIII idles at about 38c and pushes 55c on load without crashing... :confused:

3. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

If THG is Tom's Hardware Guide, then, well, that's that. That has to be the single most biased tech news/review site I have ever seen.

And like dig, I can vouch for the fact that Intel CPUs are perfectly stable at high temperatures. My Celeron 700 used to run in the high 50s and was perfectly stable. It probably would have ran cooler had it not been overclocked and still using the retail heatsink and fan.

P4s I don't know much about, since I don't own any, but I find it difficult to believe that they start slowing down at such a low temperature. Well, maybe if they were running on a misconfigured motherboard..

As for AMD chips.. I think pretty much everybody knows that they are the hottest in the bunch. This doesn't make them bad by any means, since most everybody with them has more than adequate cooling. BTW, if your Athlon runs at 70C, you need to look into better cooling. ;)

- Me

4. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

I finally looked at the video clip you linked to and I noticed something more about it. Did you happen to notice that, after removing the heatsink on the Intel CPUs that the processor survived in both cases? Now look at the smoke coming from the AMD chips. So tell me, which one runs hotter? :)

But rest assured, with a fan on a P3, it will continue operating perfectly well past 38C.

- Me

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Don't tell me it's the stinking "CPU burning" video again!

Even Tom later came out and admitted that it was cheesy and intentionally done!

My truthful opinion? Intel CPUs rock, AMD CPUs rock; but AMD is the much better value. MUCH more bang for the buck, and all the old problems they used to have seem to have disappeared. I'm still half-way kicking myself for not going AMD in Bubbles. (But I had valid reasons for my choice that still stand and have been working out very nicely, there's an upgrade rotation here 'tween 3 boxes so I wanted to keep compatible CPUs.)

6. fatty100lb

fatty100lb New Member

yea i can say you are right as i had a p3 which burned out at 45 degrees c and my athlon is running at 55 degrees c happely. but athlons don't like running below 35 degrees c i always get a bigger 3d mark when my chip heats up.

7. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

/me checks to see if this is the Flame Warzone
    /me grins :D

Okay idiot, if you had a P3 that burned up at 45 degrees, you must have either had a bad CPU or you're just so stupid that you don't know how to install a heatsink and fan properly. If all Intel processors burned up at such low temps, there would be hardly any working ones around. My Celeron (which is essentially the same as a P3) can go up to 60 C and beyond and RUN JUST FINE.

And as to your second comment.. the lack of knowledge just blows my mind. "athlons don't like running below 35 degrees". What are you smoking!? The reason your chip heats up when you run 3dmark is because it's running at full capacity. More heat doesn't equal more performance. Overclocking equals more performance, and can result in more heat, but the heat is just a byproduct.

Get your facts straight!

/me goes back to his normal posting style.

Have a nice day. :)

- Me

8. RadeonMAXX

RadeonMAXX Made Man

Because Intale sucks!:p

9. fatty100lb

fatty100lb New Member

can't be that stupid, your knowledge must be a wee bit lame cos my p3 came fully attatched with a heatsink and fan on it. and secondly my athlon will not run at its 1.333. i find everytime it drops below 35 degrees c it crashes hence i keep it stable at 55 degrees c. as for the pentium might have been shit but i clocked it to 850 from 750 and the stupid thing crashed when i booted into my bios it said the chip was at 45 degrees c and she never booted again. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww bye bye intel your shit in with the athlon
    so bring it on. my facts might not be right in your eyes but well this is what happened so it is fact to me.

10. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

FatASS said:

Snoopy Sez:

I have had PIII's that have run at temps well beyond 45c and overclocked and overvolted to the max...as to your fallacious assertion that Athlons don't like running below 35c...tell that to the liquid cooling crowd that routinely keep their CPU's below zero.

In closing...

You are a monosyllabic, illiterate inbred hick, turn on your "I am a victim of a closed gene pool spell checker" while you're at it. You are probably logged on from the public library or your Mother's AOL account on her EMachine...your Father pays FULL retail price at BestBuy..."I can't believe that out of 5 billion sperm you swam the fastest." now quit wasting bandwidth and oxygen you 13 year old zit-faced cesspool of misinformation...thanks for dropping by and dumping more Tom's Hardware propaganda alias http://www.Tom__gargles_Intels_cum_before_swallowing.com (please don't be a true F U C Kin' mongoloid and click on the link...)

Have a nice day.... :)

11. fatty100lb

fatty100lb New Member

Re:

o dear i really didn't know we had bitchin morons on here. sorry o mighty one the fact i get better performance out of my cpu over 35 degrees c is no longer a fact and well pentium are shit but hey mine still burned out @ 55 degrees c so read on illiterate. also if i cool my chip with water cooling it won't boot because it is too cold.
    so get your facts right and i build pc's for a living and unlike most people i don't live with my mother i moved out like 5 years ago when i was in my 20's.
    you shud really get a life and don't bitch at facts of life that happen to people. when i open my shop in the morning it is cold i have to put a heater by my computer before it boots.
    i dunno why i waste my time with some peeps.

12. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

It is obvious that your Daddy started rooting your box through your back orifice at too early of an age as it has resulted in your arrested development. (as well as some major anal fissures) Freebase some Midol and crawl back to the keyboard and attempt vainly to elicit some form of a weak reply. I heard that they circumcised you by slapping that cum dumpster you try to call a sister in the mouth...is that true?

P.S. "o dear" (which I assume is hillbilly for oh dear) sounds a bit faggish...

13. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Re:

you cant even figure out if it was 45 or 55 and you are calling HIM illiterate

and heh youre not getting off so easy either

Lay off the emachines.........they make one of the most stable computers that you will ever buy.........yes they are cheap.........yes their towers are crap.........but i still use an emachine monitor everyday.........not to mention that my lil emachine 366id with 5xdvd rom celeron366 32MB of Ram and onboard 4MB ATi graphics could play thief and thief2 on it and still be smooth and had h/w dvd playback on it......trust me they are well put together little machines

14. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

If you want to make an Emachine go faster...push it off a cliff...hahaha :rolleyes:

15. fatty100lb

fatty100lb New Member

Re:

made a typo on the first and it was changed later on. i join the site to maybe get some early newes on drivers and maybe help people out with my small knowledge but i am sorry turns out you lot know everything well most of you are from america they always know everything. if you are telling me my p3 didn't burn out at 55c then ok i didn't. and fair enough if my cpu hasjust as good a performance when it is cold then so be it.

16. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

You do realize that this is the Flame Warzone, right? Post here and expect a fight. :D

As for the "I build PCs for a living", if you seriously think that AMD chips don't like the cold, then you're either lying your ass off or your business will never survive because you're totally inept as a PC builder.

- Me

17. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 Can I be cool?

This is amazing.

I'm not even going to comment on this thread. :lol:

18. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

Hey silent...maybe you should take some advice from your name...and STFU...you already did comment..."This is amazing."

I could see how it would be amazing to someone like you with an I.Q. equal to a box of rocks...

19. edperks

edperks Life is Good

What a Bunch of BUllshit!!

someone needs to pencil you name on the grim reapers list of things to do. (HEHEHE)

20. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

Unlike your Mother...who is scratched out in PEN on my list of things I already did... :) :) :)

I heard they were going to rename her the "U.S. Open"