Intel E8400 CPU Temp [56k Warning!]

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by calidan, May 31, 2008.

1. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I'm running it at stock speeds (3.0GHz) with a ThermalTake Heat Sink and Fan. My temps are around 60 celsius. Does this seem too high for this CPU? I was getting the same temps with the stock fan which had a smaller heat sink.

2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

what are you using to measure the temps?

[​IMG]

notice the difference in TJ max and actual core temperture. reguardless if its running 50c at idle, that is rather high, and 60c is pretty high.

hows the ambient and your airflow in the case? you use some quality TIM?

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I haven't read any reviews of that particular cooler, but the pushpin design seem to limit the effectiveness of heavier coolers by not providing quite enough pressure onto the CPU. At the same time there may be a difference of as much as ten degrees between different programs if you are using one that reads from the internal CPU diode, with CoreTemp allegedly displaying too high a number.

In the end, 60C wouldn't worry me if that's what you get while running some max load program like Prime95/Orthos or similar. But it wouldn't leave much room for safe overclocking.

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

C2D's core idle temperature at 60C is just too high, especially running stock clock speeds.

[​IMG]

================

[​IMG]

5. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I d/l Real Temp it says that the temp is around 44 C at idle. I was using Asus Probe to get the temp. I guess I shouldn't rely on Asus' programs to work right. :lol: Is this still too high? This is the case I have. It has two 12cm fans. I don't plan to overclock anything so shouldn't this be enough?

6. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

40C is more like it (for CPU's temperature during idling).

however, you may want to also check the temperature when the system in full load.

it also depends on the room's and system's temperatures, these temperatures effects a lot on the Core temperatures (and even more so in Wolfdale's), as far as my experience goes with Intel C2D processors.

[​IMG]

================

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've been noticing very weird temp displays with different chipsets and manufacturers boards that have been completely inaccurate. Take for instance the Intel DG31PR motherboard. That board lists the E8400 as having an idle temp of less than 20C (as low as 17C), while an older release of the same board lists it at 30C. The Intel DP35DP I have lists the idle temp at 30 - 35C (depends on ambient room temp). An Asus P5KPL-CM board listed that same CPU as having an idle temp of 16-18C, while another Asus board, the P5GC-MX/1333 listed it at 40C. All different boards, all different temp readings.

Here's the thing: if you know the cooler is properly mounted, that the CPU heatsink fan works, that the computer case is exhausting the hot air out, and that your bios is up to date, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course, you should check those things just to be sure. ;)

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the CPU's core temperature can't be that low, like 16C, 18C, when it's operating in a room temperature of around 25C and in the computer (itself) will be even warmer temperature,
    in that case, the CPU advanced functions like its overheating protection can't be working correctly, and i think the board's BIOS surely needs an updated version.

more info about Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature...

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide over at Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide#

well it seems to me the guide has just been deleted, just today.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah, my business partner and I couldn't believe the temps. As you said, it's impossible for it to be below room temp unless you were using some extreme cooling.

I've talked to Intel about it, and it looks like they are stumped too. Funny, actually, as I've stumped them twice in a month (the last thing was that the last 2 batches of DG31PR mobos with bios 0047 will not post with E7200 or E8400 CPUs installed until you do a bios recovery of the exact same bios.. which I've had to do 25 times already).

At any rate, I've had numerous machines that have shown the temps to be between 30C and 40C, all depending on the room temp, and case design, so I tend to go with those temp listings. Anything below I let slide, but anything above, such as 60C, and I would check those 3 things I mentioned toot suit.

10. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

:D.....I think i know what this is I had this on one of my ASUS boards. Ok, so compare the proc temp in asus probe to the NB temp in another program. Some versions of PC probe mixed with ceratain ASUS boards actually flip the temps around. :eek:

This happened to me and it was one of the reasons that I ended up frying one of my boards because all the time i was trying to get the processor temp down and it was actually my NB smoking D=