Intel i9-12900K, MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY LGA 1700 Build. Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you don't have the secure erase function in the bios (due to not having an asrock board)

to completely clean things up so it's basically a blank system, simply open windows settings up, in windows under system, go to recovery then click advanced startup's "restart now"

upon boot, go to trouble shooting and then into Command prompt only.

Once command prompt is loaded, ensure that you have no usb flash drives plugged in or anything prior to this, type the following into the command window

1. Diskpart
    2. List Disk (This will give you a list of detected disks, if only one disk is present then it should only show "Disk 0", typical disk 0 is primary os drive)
    3. Select Disk 0
    4. Clean
    5. Exit
    This about the best you'll get short of a proper secure erase. I would not recommend using the command "Clean All"... as this will write every cell to 0, it'll completely 100% wipe the drive but it's NOT suitable for SSDs, only use if you want to ensure that there is absolutely no chance in hell of recovery.

arb65912 likes this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Hi Judas,

Thank you again for the response. You always do and I really appreciate it so much . :)

I think that BIOS has secure erase which I did and then installed windows 1 from USB stick. Did few times for fun. ;) (see attached SSs)

I also did "Reset This PC Options in W11 under Recovery section, few times as well.

I did not do what you described as I believe that I am OK doing these two described above few times each but I will keep it for the future , just in case (your description)

I am not crazy about government or a hacker trying to reach the data on this SSD , I just wanted to see what would be required in case I was. :D

Thank you again for all guidance and help. You are the one I can always count on. And few other friends here as well. :)

IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG

3. Judas

yup the secure erase is perfect... nice for msi to provide it finally

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  4. arb65912

So I assume that there are few different BIOS versions depending on the Motherboard, correct?

5. Judas

different boards can provide wildly different features and for no justifiable reason.

Even the cheapest asrock board has had secure erase available since 2017 and likely well before..

in fact asrock also provides LED rgb/argb controls, where as apparently no others seem to provide it at all. AsRock has been doing some wildly great things with bioses and utilities being built in that are well ahead of the others.

6. arb65912

Thank you!!!

Calliers likes this.
  7. arb65912

Hello again...... :)

NOW I figured out that with my good PC, see my specs, I am getting low frame rates in X-Plane (my flight simulator I am concerned about)
    I get around 30 fps while guys with similar systems report 60+ fps.
    It can not be my PGU as I updated the drivers and it is RTX 3080 Ti, plenty of power I assume)

To make the story short, it seems that my CPU is limited (not as CPU itself but as my settings)
    How do I make sure my processor is used properly without overclocking, just uses proper settings so I get that frame rates higher?

Please help as always @Juda s @Calliers and whoever would like to chip in.

Thank you!

8. Judas

considering x-planes... while i don't have a lot of people on x-planes.. i will say their developers are pretty damn pompus and their skills questionable. They'll blame the system before they realize it's on them.

The primary thing to do is make sure your chipset drivers are up to date.
    obviously nvidia's drivers up to date helps.

In one case about a year ago i think i had a user with x-plane performance woes for a system grossly overpowered. I performend a complete removal of the game and then a reinstall and for no apparent good reason, fixed the low performance problem.

Even an update has crippled performance only to get back up to speed later. DCS is another good one that who knows what each update will bring, pain and suffering or a fix for the prior pain and suffering. Those simulation games are a tough one.

The other option you could try is Process Lasso to see if you can force x-plane to a single CCD (3900x has 2x chiplets called CCD for each) The reason i suggest this is that perhaps xplanes did something again to break it's utilization and is dividing the workload across both chiplets which is reducing performance. Many users are using it to force a program to work only within ONE of the chiplets significantly improveing performance.

Calliers likes this.
  9. arb65912

How do I do that?

I will update chipset drivers and post here.

Thank you as always! :)

Calliers likes this.
  10. arb65912

OK, I see it is a software. But how I am going to set it up? No idea.

11. arb65912

Hmmmm, which one of them? All?

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      303.4 KB
      Views:
  12. arb65912

Updating chipset drivers did not help :mad:

13. arb65912

How hard would that be to set using Process Lasso and I assume it would not mess any of my settings for work (I mean connections, VNP etc.)

14. Judas

i haven't actually used it myself, i just know a few people have highly recommended it to try and diagnose or isolate use cases

Might be good to look up youtube perhaps for potential suggestions. Sorry bit late here right now.

15. arb65912

I think it is the X-Plane issue rather than my system. Somehow X-Plane works differently on different systems and cause this low frame rates.

I will take a look and do some research and post here.

In the graphic settings in X-Plane there are two groups of settings, one related to GPU and the other to CPU. I lowered the ones for CPU and frame rate increased 10fps+

It is quite interesting that it is happening though.

16. Judas

one of the reasons i despise x-planes.... mostly due to the developers being complete jackasses having tried to raise concerns or discuss simple matters with them.

Basically far as they are concerned, if you don't have an nvidia gpu AND intel system... "you're dirt, scum, not even worth talking to.... stop bother them... you're not worth a split second of time.". The arrogant and high horse attitudes really piss me off.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  17. arb65912

I did not experience it first hand but I heard some comments saying what you have in a similar fashion.

Did you have any direct contact with developers ? Where was it? I am just curious.

On the other hand, developers might be an assholes but the simulator is good in my opinion. ;)

18. Judas

Yes, some of them on the forums they manage basically didn't even beat around the bush which i admire as a ideal that people have, but what they were saying was simply stupid. The other was on the behalf of the couple customers in which i sent in bug reports and for technical support help and the moment they saw an amd cpu or gpu (didn't matter together or in combination with intel or nvidia)... they basically tell you flat out that "that's your problem... you bought the wrong parts... we don't have to lift a finger to fix your mistake, you should have gotten an intel cpu with an nvidia gpu"

arb65912 likes this.
  19. arb65912

Wow, I knew that there was some bad stuff out there but did not know about that anti AMD trend.... that is a shame.
    Simulator should work regardless of what brand components are. I am surprised.

I am in org store forums and they did not say anything against AMD.
    They just keep saying that something is limiting my CPU running X-Plane.
    These people are not associated with laminar Research (maker of X-Plane).

I was thinking again about this Process Lasso but I am a bit afraid that because of my ignorance in computers area, I might do something to make things worse.
    I already said it but I will repeat here .
    In the graphic settings in X-Plane there are two groups of settings, one related to GPU and the other to CPU. I lowered the ones for CPU and frame rate increased 10fps+
    In other words I do not desperately need to have more than what I have now 40fps.
    It would be just nice to figure out how it could be better.

I did ran 3DMark CPU test , came out great by the way.

20. Judas

Yeah i'm not sure what to tell you regards to the cpu situation on xplanes... if adjusting a few cpu based settings gets you the positive frame rate you want, then i suppose that's a sufficient solution if it doesn't detract from what you need/want.

There's a lot of market pressure on amd as a cpu manufacturer and even as gpu maker. I know of entire game studios divisions that were sent ATI/AMD gpus to confirm support only to never pull them out of the boxes. And then when the game launched and ate dirt due to them developing the program specifically with nvidia gpus and intel cpus in mind.... well it's like intentionally crippling your opponents horses just to try and make the claim that it was just clearly inferior. Intel has many libraries that put together that developers will snag.. and dump into place. Intel has been repeatedly caught red handed intentionally BREAKING support for amd cpus by putting in detection methods that "if not genuine intel, default to the most useless and slower and horrible method of calculating results". For example refer to this nice read

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ss-matlab-cripple-amd-ryzen-threadripper-cpus

Technically what intel did is illegal... they broke rules, and far as i know it has been added to the ever increased number of violations that intel has commited but continues to avoid having any punishment applied, they keep lawyering on in court and indefinitely postponing. Not to mention apparently intel managed to somehow get the euro court to what seems to be, wave the fine they were levied with for what they did in the early 2000s... Talk about COMPLETELY bullshit.

https://www.tellerreport.com/tech/2022-01-26-intel-no-longer-has-to-pay-a-$1-06-billion-fine-for-abuse-of-power.SkWyxp3CpK.html

I mean cmon... either someone got a waud of cash thrown at them to overturn the verdict and claim that amd somehow wasn't impacted at all.... I mean this reads like a bad crime story written by a 5 year old in which the bad guys get away with everything endlessly.

arb65912 likes this.