Intel i9-12900K, MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY LGA 1700 Build. Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Dec 23, 2021.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

As far as X-Plane, I just adjusted the settings related to CPU and I am OK.
    Yes, it would be nice to figure out how to make quite powerful CPU I have working with X-Plane but maybe X-Plane is just coded the way so it "prefers" Intel, who knows.
    There were guys answering in X-Plane to use Speed Step and hyperthreading on but then other guy answered that these options are not available on AMD , only Intel.
    I think I will leave it as is unless some Ryzen guru tells me how to do it specifically for X-Plane n BIOS.
    Other that that I am happy.

I have read the articles (partially, I admit as I do not understand half of the terms they are using hahahah) and I get the general draft of it.
    The first one shows totally different results depending on certain things when comparing Intel and ADM.

The politics and money rules everything, somehow Intel succeeded to make things better for it.
    I am sure that there was a lot of unfair play over the years.
    Sad to hear that need for power and money makes people doing bad things but I guess it is in all areas of life and not much to do about it.
    I was just totally unaware of things in that area until you told me about it.
    Thanks as always for a great replies, Judas.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

AMD has similar technologies, in fact amd was first with what is called cool n quiet as a base form that later translated to speedstep for intel. But like most things that amd comes up with, people tend to believe intel invented it first. I mean it's kinda funny how many people think intel created x86-64, aka, 64bit support, when amd had it 3 years in advance and was the one that made it.

Both of them are enabled by default though, as i mentioned in the other thread, PBO is the boost that can crank up frequencies higher provided there is headroom available. I've often suggested for simplicities sake, just set it to motherboard specific and then bump it to 200mhz.

So just to clarify, speedstep is essentially amd's cool n quiet.
    Hyperthreading is literally just intel's name for SMT (simultaneous multi threading) which means that a single core can handle 2 threads at the same time, again something that ryzen has built in as well, and of course should be enabled (12 cores, 24 threads means SMT is on)

it's PBO that basically is the amd ACE up it's sleeve, crank it up and you may see a nice bump. If you get instability though, back it down or turn off.

arb65912 likes this.
  3. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I will continue the discussion (if you are willing to of course :D in the other thread.
    I will try PBO and let you know results in the other thread (this thread is not valid for what we are discussing anyway)
    Thanks again!