Intel Sandy Bridge Launch 2600K & 2500K CPUs @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Jan 3, 2011.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Intel Sandy Bridge Launch

On our test bench today we have an evolution of the Core architecture in the form of Intel’s “Sandy Bridge” components. These Include the P67 and H67 chipsets and two CPUs, one from the i5 range and the other from the i7.

2. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

I like the tuning utility where you can change BIOS settings within Windows as it could potentially save a lot of rebooting time when trying to dial down the overclocks.

I don't like how Intel's clamping down on overclocking in Sandy Bridge. The market for the enthusiasts and overclockers seem to be quite narrow in this iteration of CPUs (without paying higher price for unlocked multiplier models anyway).

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Fyi: it says "3x100" at stock for Intel Core i5-2500K in the overclocking section.

4. shALKE

shALKE HH Panther

Nice to see some better coolers :) any ideea about a price range?

5. zeepkist

zeepkist New Member

thanks for all the tech info.
    but and it is a big BUT........

today from reuters news desk:

Intel Corp's new microchips, touted as its biggest-ever leap in processing power, include built-in content protection to make it safer for Hollywood studios to offer premium movies to consumers over their personal computers.

Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros Digital Distribution and other studios plan to offer high-definition movies to consumers whose computers use the chips, code-named Sandy Bridge, at the same time as they are released on DVD, Mooly Eden, Intel's vice president and general manager of the PC Client Group, told Reuters last week.

"We have been able to develop an end-to-end solution that will allow the premium content to be streamed to (computers with Sandy Bridge chips)", Eden said in an interview. "We are striking all the deals with the (studios and content distributors) to make it available."

that is very boring: DRM baked into the CPU.
    we need to find a way around this!!

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

X58 is looking a bit redundant and... waoh 4.8GHZ with stock cooler? D:

7. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

One of those stock coolers is comparable to after-market ones. :D

Were you given the absolute max "safe" voltages for these from intel? I'm thinking 1.425 could already be too high.

8. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

Don't be too hasty. According to cnet's article here: Intel's 2nd-gen chip arrives, with Hollywood in tow | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

The technology is called Intel Insider, and it's a content unlocker/locker for HD contents. I believe it's baked into the integrated GPU on Sandy Bridge. It's too early to tell one way or another, but I would think you'd be able to just disable the integrated GPU and use a discrete card (why wouldn't you?? It's still many times more powerful than integrated) and not go through the Intel Insider.

It is especially telling in this paragraph here from the article:

"What Intel Insider does is deliver HD digital distribution rights to the PC. This could be enabled through multiple content storefronts through OEMs (PC makers), retailers like Best Buy. Essentially, the PC now becomes an on-ramp for HD 1080p movies"

From the wording, the technology is disabled by default, and you will only encounter this if you buy from OEM retailers. Desktop wouldn't be much of an issue since you can always just build your own computer, but laptop might be somewhat hairy depending on how this piece of technology really works.

9. c0d1f1ed

c0d1f1ed New Member

I wonder how this CPU scores with SwiftShader. The CPU part actually has more computing power than the GPU part. All that's lacking to really make it efficient at graphics is support for gather/scatter instructions. We could then have CPUs with more generic cores instead.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Great review, Stu.

On minor thing though. Page 4, which reviews the H67, the P67s IO/back picture is used instead of the H67. It should be THIS thumbnail, and THIS full image, correct?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. Kein

Kein New Member

Was it confirmed anywhere if the 2600k retail cooler is the same as the one in the review?

12. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I would imagine its the same as the original range where you buy the larger heatsink seperately. The standaed one works fine though ... (and if it doesnt meet your needs, then something like a corsair H70/coolit vantage works great).

13. Kein

Kein New Member

Yep, same as the 2500k, saw it in another forum.

Veridian3, are you guys planning to do a HT on and off comparison?

14. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hey, um.. guys... I know this is probably nit picking, but you still have the same P67 backplate thumbnail picture showing for the H67 board on page 4, and it still points to the larger P67 backplate pic too.

15. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Sorted thanks Tipstaff.