Interforum Comparison

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ToshiroOC, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

I was recently looking at the numbers for Driverheaven and was struck by the fact that it had gained over fifteen thousand members between when I registers a bit more than a year ago... and I started wondering about the relative size of the Driverheaven forums to the other major hardware site forums... I knew that a lot of my friends here are very active over at Rage3d (and I think I will also soon, as soon as finals finish for me....)... so this is the result and relative ranking of the different forums that I know of in terms of numbers of members.

Driverheaven.net Forums, 17537
    [H]ard Forums, 15505
    Sharky Extreme Forums, 27695
    Anandtech Forums, 104884
    Tweak3d Forums, 6768
    PCAbusers Forums, 2950
    ASElab Forums, 382
    Madonion (Futuremark) Forums, 69749
    Xbit Labs, 955
    Rage3d Forums, 28880
    Penstarsys Forums, 77
    Overclockers.com Forums, 23811
    Overclockers.ru Forums, 787
    AMD Zone Forums, 8253

So... damn. We have a lot of members, and though we aren't very close to Anandtech, memberwise we have passed up the semi-famous [H] forums and are within striking distance of overclockers.com Forum :) which is pretty cool... anyone know of other forums that have more members that I missed (I'm sure I missed a lot of forums, these are just sites that I know somewhat well... but forums that have lots of members...)

ToshiroOC

Note: Some forums, like the Hermit's cave and Ace's Hardware, did not supply a member number, so they were omitted from the listing. (As far as I could tell).

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well im not sure about rankings but, I know hardocp had over 40,000 at one stage until their database fooked up.

im a little more interested about quality rather than quantity and although I may sound biased I think we would be near the top on that one.

doing a member comparision is pretty complex as you really have to take into account the length of time a forum has been open.

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Exactly that. DH isn't even 1 year old, and yet we can boost a larger userbase than some of the more venerable sites out there :)

4. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Now THAT is interesting, though it would be nice if I could get figures on active members isntead of overall memberage - I'm sure a lot of people posted, did the contest, and left... but there are probably a lot of people who just post a couple of times and then leave in the other forums too... I know what you mean by quality Zardon, and I agree wholehartedly - however, I don't have a quantitative qualitymeter with me (yet) :) so member counts will have to suffice. DH has really exploded hasn't it?

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Numbers are good...

...but I'm siding with Zardon on the "quality over quantity" aspect. I think we've got a great forum here and just want to see that continue; if we get big we get big, if not no biggy. We're big enough to have fun, and that's all that is important to me. :)

(Although, I got to admit it is a bit of a hoot to see another new member every time I log in...and I log in a LOT! ;) )

6. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Indeed, I'm going to have to agree with the Official Position on this matter. :) Quantity is indeed one thing, but I think this forum not only succeeds on a technical/support level, it also is superior as a community. The people here are great! :D

But interesting comparison nontheless, Toshiro! It's good to see that you are so into DH. :)

7. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Well, who wouldn't be into this great place! If you look back, one of my very first posts is something along the lines of "WOW, I'm here to stay - I love it here! So nice!", and it still holds true - just some real-life problems cropped up between that and now :)

8. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Here's another one I want to throw into the list:

RageUnderground Forums, 7574

That's 3.5 years worth of members (given I did prune about 1500-2000 inactive members when I was in charge there) :dead:

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

MUST....RESIST....TEMPTATION!!!!!!!!

Dang it Z, are you just trying to get me in trouble! :hmm:

Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to resist the urge to edit your post and change it to "LameUnderground", "RageBlunderclown", or something really nasty?!?

Oh, I get it...it's a test. You're testing me to see if I still just jump up and go psycho everytime someone mentions that place. I get ya now....it was a test!

Well, I guess I passed that one with flying colors by not falling for it and editing your post with some nasty ranting about that place and it's owner. Nope, those days are long behind me...I'm very much above that now. :)

10. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

:zoooooom: Wow, that one went RIGHT over my head Digi - I can tell there's some history I'm missing :) Are you going to fill us in, or leave it suspenseful? ;)

11. Layden

Layden New Member

Zar and Dig can fill you in with the details, but the short version is that the site owner was being a total ass. People there worked hard to try and improve the site, but they got held back by the evasive site owner and his empty promises. Quite sad really. :sigh:

12. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

What a shame - DH gets the overflow from the exodus :) Its too bad when site owners go bad, but you really can't do anything about it unless you do what Zardon did and start your own site... and do better than the old site ever did :) I just visited over there as a guest - I can't tell if it was just me, but it seemed pretty dead... there were only a couple of visible threads in the different forums, though that might be because I was either looking in the wrong forums or wasn't registered...

13. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Crap I didn't want this to turn into a RU bashing thread. Anyway the site pretty much is dead now because all the senior forum members left the site with me. I just brought RU up because of its age and its once proud forums. Four times the age with half the members...