Internet explorer is taking forever to open

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by drivehard454, Jun 6, 2009.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Can anyone offer advice or knowledge as to why when I open Internet Explorer it is taking about 30 seconds to open?

I do not have any spyware/adware or viruses that my AVG, spybot, and windows defender can find. I do not get pop-ups either.

I run ccleaner weekly. I have defraged.

Once it does open, I can search and open new sites just fine.

I have IE 8. All the updates. Windows XP.

I seem to have a lot of processes in my task manager, but none of them are using any resources. When I go to open IE it uses 96-99% until it opens.

Any ideas. Thanks

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Usually the only reason i see IE8 take ages to load, is due to installed add-ons or toolbars..

I'd check the add-ons as you may have a bugged add-on that is causeing the system to go a little haywire for those 30 seconds.

It could be something as simple as the flash add-on which could be corrupted or not loading properly..

Most of the time though i've seen anti-virus programs that load an add-on into IE can occasionally cause these symptoms as well...

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Is spybot loading "tea timer" ? that will slow it down a lot......

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

IE8 is crap,i noticed the IE8 update on our XP upstairs "ready to be installed" and i UNCHECKED IT AND CLOSED THE UPDATER STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!! (IE7 isnt much better (that and FF1.5 are on there (I use FF1.5 when im on that as i dont really like IE7)))

I like IE6 the best out of the IE series.. (I use MyIE2 in front of it though)

5. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I hate toolbars, so I do not have any of them. I only have my address bar and tab bar on top. I only run an add-on that is required to run things on certain sights. what is the best way to check what add-ons I have installed. I will delete them and load only as necessary.

What is tea timer? Is it something I need? Or is needed to run? I will look it up after this post and investigate a few things.

This slow loading has just started recently, in the last few months, and I cannot pinpoint when.

Thanks for your ideas guys.......

6. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

The only real suggestion i can think of is that there's something installed itself since that's what XP Does best, allows random pieces of sticky spyware that you can't detect. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing IE?
    You could always save yourself a lot of hassle and switch to Chrome or Firefox though which are lightning quick even under XP's tremendously aged architecture.

7. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

How exactly would I go about un-installing IE? Will it get rid of the add-ons also? I suppose then I can re-install IE from the microsoft website?
    Thanks......

cozumel likes this.
  8. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

You could also reset ie.
    I gave you some to boost you up. Felt sorry for ya!!! :cool:

Edit: It no longer says you have a shameful past when I hover over your rep rofl :p

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks cozumel... I hadn't thought of trying that actually. Maybe it will help. Lately it hasn't been as bad as it was when I posted earlier. Still takes about 10 - 15 seconds before it opens. I will reset and post if there is any difference.

Thanks for the rep.... I had been wondering why it was saying that!!

I am on here quite often and have never done anything to be shameful of...