Internet speed slowdown

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Pman, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Pman

Pman New Member

Hi
    My internet connection has slowed up alot. It was at normal speed earlier today when i was downloading a file wich is 80kb/sec. Tonight i wanted to download something else and it slowed down to 30kb/sec. I have tried diffrent files for diffrent sites and its the same. I have ran antivir, trend micro housecall, adaware6, and spybot search and destroy and nothing turns up. I have tried the on board LAN and a pci one and that doesnt matter. I dont know whats going on, just happened. please help. thanx

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

it could be your ISP and not you.

give it a day or so, as it could be that they are doing maintenance ont he server, or that there are lines down somewhere between you and a swith center.

If ti doesn't get any better by monday(they work on business days, you know) give them a call and ask them. If they say all is workign fine on their end, then come back and we'll go from there.

3. Pman

Pman New Member

Ya my ISP is the problem. I live in washington and i found a forum that had a hole bunch of people from washington on verizon geting the same slowdowns i get. I checked there DSL status page and it had nothing about the slowdowns. some people said that they called tech support and they told them to power cycle their models and instead of pluging the modem power connector into a strip that you have to have it in a wall outlet, none works and i have has my model connected into a strip for a couple years with no probs. i hope they see whats going on and fix it

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i was havig a similar problem w/my verizon DSL up until last night. I decided to unplug my modem for like 30 sec. and power it back up. It worked fine right after that.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the shorter the cable is going from your wall to the modem.. the better... (for DSL)... Cable, if that cable gets crushed/Squashed... kinked in ANY way, you have to replace that part of the cable.. (best to replace the entire thing)... When coxial is squashed.. it's no longer called coxial)

why does DSL connections lose speed depending on how long your cable goes from your wall connection to the modem? DSL cable (usuaully just normal Phone Cord) is very poor stuff, it has a tendancy to lose more of it's signal strength through that than the entire cable running through the house to your ISP.... IF you can get a more interference resistant and overall heavier duty cable.... do so.

Why does Coxial react badly to being crushed? pretty simple.. most things don't work well went being smushed.....

For both, if you put a kink in it but putting it around say a 90* + corner realy tightly, (making it square), it actually effects signal strengths.... Please, try to keep a smooth curve in the cable.... IF you wrap it around something that puts a hard curve in the cable.. this can also effect speeds.... rule of thumb, The shortest distance between 2 objects is a straight line... the more twists and turns there are.. the more likely you'll be effecting your internet speeds/signal strengths.. and overall problems...

6. Pman

Pman New Member

I havent done anything to the cables. they have been like they are since i got dsl a couple years ago and its worked fine before. it is sometimes at normal speed then it drops for a while then goes back to normal speed. its gotta be a ISP problem.

7. TJ-

TJ- New Member

man stop complaining,,,, im getting a 5kb/sec max!! connection,,,,,

40 mins just for one song.....

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i remember those 5kb/s days. they sucked! but hey, i was still able to get onto DH :).