Internet via Satellite

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by comp_ali, Apr 5, 2010.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I am wondering why this didn't go mainstream and replaced the wired connections? it was presented years ago , and I think it will solve latency and lag issues for games and Voip softwares as well , besides it will allow higher speeds.

Anyone here using this service ? and if yes , how good is it ?

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

What I've heard is that the first gen had some issues with latency and atmosphere anomalies...
    And the data rate wasn't that good either...

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

As far as I know, the data rates can be good, but latency is a big issue. Geostationary satellites orbit Earth at almost 36000km. In order for you to get a response from the server, you need to get a request to the satellite, then it goes back to Earth and gets processed by the server, the response is then sent up to the satellite and down from it to you. The total length of the journey is four times the distance from Earth to the satellite, 144000km. Considering that the speed of light is "only" around 300000km/s, you get almost a half a second lag, making it pretty darn useless for games and VOIP. The problem can be mitigated to an extent by using standard links as uplinks (as we usually send much less than we receive) and satellite connections as downlinks, but at 250ms, the round-trip time is still high.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

hmmm , so what about wireless networking solution like Mobile operators

5. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Someone should release mobile phone with integrated LNB, maybe then Mobile operators will consider something like that :D

Regards.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Like others have said its slow, very slow. It also costs an arm and a leg and when you need it the most -a rainy day- it'll be slow as hell and that is if it even works. Check out some speeds and prices here

7. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah a few of my friends that live out in the country where there isn't much of a choice as far as "high speed" internet is concerned all have satellite and basically hate if because of the simple fact that games don't work at all with it. A couple of my WoW friends pretty much have had to quit or move closer to town to get better internet service to keep playing online games.

8. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Haven't tried gaming through my 3G phone yet so I can't say for sure that it works well but I know others that do and it works just fine. A bit more latency issues compared to a DSL line but in general it works fairly well, as long as there are no disturbances in the network. Sadly enough that happens a bit to often.

With the upcoming 4G system speeds and such will be much better so the issues that might occur with that is probably the network stability.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Satalite has GREAT bandwidth capacities... most of it is downstream though, but Latency will never be solved, the distances traveled is just to high for even the speed of light, Land based fiber optics is always gonna trump it until they are able to developed stable "worm hole" style transmitions to cut the distance traveled by an insane amount.

There are already plenty of solutions out there it's just a matter of any service providers being available in your area to support it.

ATM where i live, we've got wireless internet connections that use canopy systems (like satalite dishes) that point to towers (ground based), we've got satalite systems (rarely used as they are inferrior to the ground based), Mobile wireless that uses cell towers as their connections points.

While the canopy wireless system is way faster, the reliability of a hard wired connection will always be superior, and potentially much faster down the road anyways.

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I have seen some SAT internet and they are SLOW AS ANYTHING!!!

Internet is MUCH better being on the GROUND as it always has been.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've personally used satalite internet when it FIRST came out when it required a dialup modem for uploading. They are insanely fast if they aren't overloaded.

I remember in 1997 downloading a file at over 600KB/s (YES 0.6MB/s) and crapping myself as i had never seen anything over 1.6kb/s. In the later years when the satalite systems were being widely used the internet on those came to a screeching hault due to overload and the school didn't feel the need to upgrade the equipment to retain it's clear speed advantage and obtain the 1,200 kb/s possible.